Join TexasGunTalk

Poacher gets big fine.

Discussion in 'News Articles' started by Moonpie, Feb 27, 2020.

1. rotor

rotor Active Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Wichita Falls
    Understand that I am not condoning poaching. It's the ridiculous greater than 24 inch vs less than 24 inch to decide if it's a felony or a misdemeanor. Make it a felony for any spread is okay with me. Fine the guy for poaching. Put him in jail, whatever. The distinction in less than 24 inches is a minor crime vs over 24 inches is a major crime. That was my point.

2. BMF500

BMF500 Matthew 10:34 TGT Supporter

Aug 21, 2019
    Pattison
    IMO it's a matter of setting an example.

3. TX OMFS

TX OMFS TGT Addict Forum Sponsor

Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    If this guy were being jailed for a 15.5" rifle bbl "conservatives" wouldn't like it. If he were jailed for making an illegal suppressor in the dark of night we'd discuss the merits. But when he's jailed for shooting an animal in the dark "conservatives" love the government.

BuzzinSATX likes this.
  4. BMF500

Aug 21, 2019
    Pattison
    Legal hunting and game preservation is an important issue to those that follow the law, purchase licences and take/tag fair game. It's not like this dude was only trying to feed his starving family or anything.

cycleguy2300, G O B and Axxe55 like this.
  5. candcallen

candcallen Purveyor of Snark Humor and Truth.

Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    The waste of the animal is what's infuriating here. They wernt hungry or anything like that.
    Since they made no attempt to process the meat its obvious they were in it for the trophy only. So phuck em.

If they had processed the animal and assuming they arent habitual or repeat poachers I could pretty much guarantee you it would have been lowered to the MM class crime.

I'm addition to the minimum fine I would bet they also lose all their equipment and vehicles too. This could cost them a tidy sum in the end. Deservedly so.

jordanmills, G O B and Axxe55 like this.
  6. candcallen

Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    You'll be fixing teeth in a reeducation camp in deplorable conditions for room n board.

TX OMFS, TheMailMan and BMF500 like this.
  7. candcallen

Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    It's the waste of the animal that's the main issue here and the reason why he got no accommodation on the charges.

He could still get off easy or have it lowered to a MM charge in the end.

8. TreyG-20

TreyG-20 TGT Addict

Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Yup dumb to waste an animal, but for the sake of conversation. What if this had been a hunter taking game for meat on his own property?

9. BMF500

Aug 21, 2019
    Pattison
    Broke, needey and hungry; no probem IMO.

jordanmills, Axxe55 and CyberWolf like this.
  10. lightflyer1

lightflyer1 Active Member

May 2, 2015
    If he had murdered a person would you be saying the same thing? All these are are stack on charges to make it worse for him if convicted on any of them. The original charge was poaching. Everything else was just to up the ante on him. Kind of like they do to someone who is involved in a robbery. They will charge them with every thing they can think of that happened along the way to their capture. No one but their lawyer will care about the extra charges. If the person you robbed dies by your hand no one cares that you just upped the charge from robbery to aggravated robbery, you are now a murderer. Same thing here. Just a low down poacher who got caught and they are charging him with everything they can and hope they all stick. Because of this people just want him punished as much as possible and don't care about the nuances of the law. Even though they might in another case where he wasn't such a low down scum in the first place.