• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Great price! Something broke in my Puck latching handle, so I returned it to Kohls. They replaced the unit so mine is virtually brand new. I would seriously consider having two of them if the prices are as low as you describe! The Puck oven is a terrific product!

Flash

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    In the spirit of Flash's postings on his cooking exploits, here's something I did this afternoon and a little background on why.

Costco had chicken tenders, bulk-packaged, on sale after the holidays. I picked some up as they make good white meat for salads, etc. (high protein, skinless, boneless, smaller portions that breasts. Typically, though, I end up lightly frying them (uncoated) in a pan to heat them because putting them in the oven dries them out because they're so small.

This time, I coated them in Fiesta Chicken Rub, a little Annatto, dried minced onions and dried cilantro in a glass dish and let them marinate in the fridge overnight. The dried onion and cilantro give flavor and help soak up and juices the tenders put off.

Chicken Tenderloins - Before.jpg

Then, looking at the Puck guide, I cooked them like a butterflied breast, pressure roasting them at 450:

This is how they came out - they look great, but they have some good texture/browning and are still incredibly moist (it took a long time for the oven to vent, lots of moisture):

Chicken Tenderloins - After.jpg

The taste? Awesome. A little heat, but not too much.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    In the spirit of Flash's postings on his cooking exploits, here's something I did this afternoon and a little background on why.

Costco had chicken tenders, bulk-packaged, on sale after the holidays. I picked some up as they make good white meat for salads, etc. (high protein, skinless, boneless, smaller portions that breasts. Typically, though, I end up lightly frying them (uncoated) in a pan to heat them because putting them in the oven dries them out because they're so small.

This time, I coated them in Fiesta Chicken Rub, a little Annatto, dried minced onions and dried cilantro in a glass dish and let them marinate in the fridge overnight. The dried onion and cilantro give flavor and help soak up and juices the tenders put off.

Then, looking at the Puck guide, I cooked them like a butterflied breast, pressure roasting them at 450:
    This is how they came out - they look great, but they have some good texture/browning and are still incredibly moist (it took a long time for the oven to vent, lots of moisture):

The taste? Awesome. A little heat, but not too much.

Congratulations.
    You got a good buy.
    And a helluva reward for your stellar shoppingfu ...

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Nice experiment! I read your post to Bonnie and she is pondering on it. There's no telling how the recipe will end up when she tries it!

Happy New Year!

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    All meat that I cook comes out of the Puck Oven. I weighed myself the day I got the Pucker and have slowly lost weight ever since. With few other changes in diet or exercise, I weighed this morning and I am down 24 pounds from 12-5-2014! I feel a lot better, too.

Flash

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I'm about to go nuts. Brined a 10 pound turkey last night, then coated it in lemon-pepper-butter and herbs today (inside and out). It's sitting on rough-chopped onions, sweet potato, garlic and white mushrooms at 425 in the puck oven, pressurized, and driving me insane with good smells. Pulling it out of the oven and letting it sit 15 minutes is going to be a killer. :)

One thing to note: If you didn't see the caution about making sure to clean the condensation under the drip tray, take heed. Moisture definitely collects under the tray and it's easy to miss.

Cooking a turkey in an hour. Lordy, lordy there's a fire... ain't nobody got time for dat! :)

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The turkey will come out great! We had the dark meat at the bottom a bit less "done" than we preferred, so we cut those parts off and tossed them back in the Puck. It was some of the juciest turkey that I've ever eaten!

I just cooked about 5 pounds of chicken thighs about 2 hours ago. This meat is destined for sandwiches and/or Burritos. I got some refried beans and, of course guacamole, tomato, salsa, cheese and lime. It's still just chicken but it tastes so good!

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I'm not sure what size my Pucker oven is. Wasn't aware that there were other options.

Been using mine regularly mostly on chicken thighs and legs. Did 10 pounds of thighs yesterday. I put 5 pounds in, cook for 45 minutes with "Chicken Rub" on them. As soon as the clock says enough, I test the internal temperature, remove them from the pan, then put the second 5 pound package in for another 45 minutes. The Jo Vee's chicken thighs are HUGE! When the second batch is finished, I pour off the grease and there's plenty of chicken for all week.

Flash

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Do you have the 29 liter or 22 liter oven?

Didn't know this myself.
    Turns out mine is the 29L Original,
    As I suspect Flash's is:

There are 3 models of the Pressure Oven: the Essential, the Rotisserie and the Original.

~The Essential is a lower priced, more compact version of the Original. It’s .8 cubic ft (22 liter) capacity has a smaller counter profile while still being able to hold a 12” pizza or a 6 lb chicken. It fits pans up to 11 ½ inch width, 9 ½” depth. The outside dimensions are: 18-1/10” L x 15-1/4” x 11” H

~The Original is a larger 1.0 cubic ft (29L) oven. This model is great when cooking for larger crowds. It not only holds a 12” pizza or a 6 lb chicken, it can also fit a 14 lb turkey – cooking it in only 55 minutes. With dimensions of only 19-7/8" L x 15-7/8" x 12-3/8" H, the Original is still small enough to fit under standard cabinets and fit pans up to 14” width x 12” depth.

~The Rotisserie is also a larger 1.0 cubic ft (29L) oven that fits up to a 14 lb turkey. Plus, it also comes with specially engineered rotisserie function so you can create that fresh, delicious rotisserie taste in your own home any time you want. With dimensions of 19-7/8" L x 15-7/8" x 12-3/8" H, it easily fits under standard cabinets and fits pans up to 14” width x 12” depth.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Friend Bonnie and I both have the original ovens and they are in constant use! That's some of the best money that I've spent in a long time!

Try some experiments and feel free to post here. Can't wait to hear about them.

Flash

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Holy Resurrection ... Ghost of Puck's Past

Left it in Houston since I've been mostly at the lake since late 2016, but decided to bring the old Puck oven up to the lake house this time around.

Looking forward to pucked chicken thighs and vegetables tonight ... been a long time.

PucksPast.jpg

Attachments

• PucksPast.jpg
      PucksPast.jpg
      204.6 KB · Views: 227

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I sure miss my Puck Oven, but fate intervened. The latch mechanism broke on my first oven so I returned it to Kohls. The second oven worked great for a while, but one day, I turned it "on", it went "pop" and died like a dog.

I took it back to Kohls and they sent me a full refund by mail. In place of the Puck, I got an Oster counter top oven (extra large) and have used it 3-4 times per week since then.

Nothing cooks like a Puck! I miss it but the manager at Kohls was starting to give me evil looks. Perhaps, I used it too much. In fact, I used it a lot and it just cratered.

Good luck with yours! You made some outstanding meals with it!

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Oh, I tried a new variation on the chicken thighs. I cook them at 375 with a temperature probe set at about 170 degrees for normal sized thighs. For huge thighs, I use an internal temp of about 180 to get them done inside. It takes about 55 minutes.

I take the cooked thighs out of the oven and remove the temp probe to protect it. Heat the oven to 450, and paint the chicken with ketchup. 10 minutes at 450 makes them just like BBQ except for lower sugar. I call it "Chicken Ketchuptory!"

Flash

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I sure miss my Puck Oven, but fate intervened. The latch mechanism broke on my first oven so I returned it to Kohls. The second oven worked great for a while, but one day, I turned it "on", it went "pop" and died like a dog.

I took it back to Kohls and they sent me a full refund by mail. In place of the Puck, I got an Oster counter top oven (extra large) and have used it 3-4 times per week since then.

Nothing cooks like a Puck! I miss it but the manager at Kohls was starting to give me evil looks. Perhaps, I used it too much. In fact, I used it a lot and it just cratered.

Good luck with yours! You made some outstanding meals with it!

Flash

Yep, been looking at replacing the Puck Oven with something smaller, as the kitchen at the lake house where I now spend 9+ months of the year until Linda retires (specifically our long planned for retirement home), and although I "refreshed" it, simply doesn't have the counter space to comfortably house the Puck, and going to be worse when there's two inmates instead of one.

Something like the InstaPot, or that Ninja thing??

But, after firing it back up again after almost two years, decided to use the Puck until it dies.

... and damn that pucked chicken and vegetables was good last night ... be hard to beat using any other method.

Top Bottom