• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    On Memorial Day, Jake & I went to Bonnie's place, 25 miles from here. The visit was intended to fix up Bonnie's giant Tricycle. She has one just like mine, a Schwinn Meridian trike from Wally World. The trike is 6 feet long with 26" wheels. We installed new tires and tubes on our last visit but the computer wire somehow got severed. We fixed that yesterday.

I had some chicken legs at home that were over their "Use by" date so she cooked them for me in her Pucker.

Later, she duplicated her chicken breast with peppers, onions and cheese recipe.

She also tried something new. She cut potatoes up like silver Dollars then put spices and seasoning on them. A few minutes (15-20) in the Puck did them to perfection. Sliced, homegrown cucumbers from her friends garden, topped it off.

Bonnie is a wonderful cook!

It was all delicious and I definitely got the best part of the deal!

Flash
    Guns International

Last edited:

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Linda has a gig tonight.
    I just came home with 2 1/2lb chicken gizzards ... she doesn't like "intestines", poor baby.
    Just me and the pup.
    Going to hit'em with the Flash/Puck recipe tonight: season/shake n' bake/450/25.
    Let you know how they turn out...

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I have two packs of the gizzards but didn't realize that they were still frozen. I'll lay them back for another day.

No problem, I'll eat some S&B chicken with the new Ranch & Herb S&B from Wally World.

I hope that you like the Pucked gizzards. The fried ones from Hartz are just too hard for me to chew............... so the Pucker prevails!

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    UPDATE.........

A while back, I bought a roller utility cart at Harbor Freight for about $35. I assembled it but it really didn't fit the Puck oven. Fabricated a wooden platform that sits nicely into the top tray of the cart so the Pucker fits perfectly on top. I wheel that out onto the front porch, do my Pucking outside and keep cool inside!

That oven is so trouble free that I set it up, preheat, set a timer and forget it!

I got an electric pressure cooker a while back but never used it. That will be another "cook outside" cooker when I get ready. Some ribs sound good!

Flash

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I need to start a thread about sous vide. I picked up an Anova about a month ago and have been using it. Makes cheap meat taste expensive. It's hard to over cook anything and the cook and freeze for later is awesome.

My most recent experiment was yoghurt and yoghurt cheese. Turned out awesome.

Where it helps is cooking a bunch of meat for later and also getting very tender meat out of the rough stuff. You can cook tough meat to a brisket or pulled pork (fall apart) or at a lower temp make them into fine steak.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I need to start a thread about sous vide.
    Sous vide is my favorite way to cook thick pork chops. I bring them up to a med-rare temp and hold them there for awhile to make tender, and then sear them to finish cooking. Here's my "machine" :laughing:

15305322596_ca949c6c13_c.jpg

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I rolled the Pucker outside yesterday and Pucked some huge Turkey wings. I used Fiesta "Chicken Rub" 43 minutes at 450 degrees on the low oven position. They were perfectly done and tasted great!

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The Fiesta "Chicken Rub" is on the top of my list of favorites! It isn't expensive, it's tangy enough to make it interesting but not so spicy that it burns. It also makes a super easy way to cook chicken & Turkey.

Got a big pack of Turkey wings and Turkey legs up next. They are $1.60 per pound. Man, I'm livin' high on the hog. With chicken legs at 77 cents per pound, it's hard to switch.

I am still 14 pounds down from the day I brought the Puck Oven home!

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Been on an R&R from TGT for a while and had a few developments.

Been cooking with the Pucker continuously since December, 2014. This morning, I weighed at the same time I always do and TA DA!..........I lost my 22nd pound! I attribute that entirely to the Pucker Oven.

Had trouble with my oven at the 10 month point. The oven door began to latch poorly and on regular cooking (non pressurized), the door sometimes popped open. The sliding lever to seal the door didn't have any tension on it so I guess, something broke inside.

The only way to latch the door was to slam it really hard or to reach behind the oven and force the door shut. At 450 degrees, that was an unpleasant task! That oven has been used a LOT!

Talked to the Kohls manager yesterday and he is getting me a new oven under the one year warranty!

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I forgot to mention. I love soup but it just doesn't have enough protein to sustain me.

My favorite trick is to take a large can of Creme of Chicken soup and cut the meat off of two cooked chicken thighs, Combine the two, give it about 3 1/2 minutes in the microwave and that sucker will stick with you!

Flash

Last edited:

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    just a question Why do you always cook at the highest temp ? is that in the directions ? I would think some food would ask for a lower temp.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    just a question Why do you always cook at the highest temp ? is that in the directions ? I would think some food would ask for a lower temp.

Don't think Flash uses much beef, but I've used lower temps, and longer times, for tough cuts of beef, and definitely for fish.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Yup, that pretty well explains it. I cook a ton of chicken and and my main effort is to keep from getting tired of it. I buy chicken from .59 to .79/ pound. With steak at $5/ pound and beef roasts hovering just a bit lower, it just isn't on the menu and probably won't be anytime soon.

Got 2 slabs of ribs yesterday at $1.88/pound and cooked another slab that was purchased earlier. Those cook at false teeth tender in the electric pressure cooker in 19 minutes!

Been cooking those ribs and other items in my electric pressure cooker and Bonnie and I discussed a cool dish that she has dreamed up. With a few exceptions, every dinner Entree since December of 2014 has emerged from the Puck oven.

As posted earlier, I've lost 22 pounds.

Flash

Last edited:

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Cooked one of those pre-seasoned, heavy plastic wrapped pork loins the other night using the "residual heat" method.

Weighed in at 1 1/2 pounds, put it the preheated stove oven for 8 minutes @ 550, (5 1/2 min/lb) then turned off the oven and left it in for one hour before opening the oven door. Removed and let it "rest" for ten minutes before slicing.

Don't think I've ever eaten a better pork loin, and I'm not a big fan since most folks seem to over cook them.

Those who like the Puck will probably like this method also.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Wow! Great idea! Pork loins are on sale locally bagged two to a plastic wrap. I'll grab some and try that!

Flash

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Linda wanted roasted chicken last and asked me to buy one while I was at the store.
    Those store roasted chickens are now $9 and half the size of the usual fryer.

So, bought a 5.8/lb whole fryer for $6.50, rubbed it with lemon pepper/garlic powder inside and out, Pucked it at 450 for 45 minutes, but tried something slightly different this time.

After the timer went off, and instead of taking the chicken out to "rest", I turned off power the Puck, leaving it sealed, and the fryer "resting" under pressure for ten minutes.

The joints pulled apart easily, and the breast was done and juicy. Consensus was the best tasking whole chicken I've cooked in the Puck yet.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    anibal79
    Top Bottom