• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I studied that musical flick and it took a while to get into it. It was different and I couldn't figure it out. Then I realized........ that music isn't to be understood, it's something that you get into and just DO! It becomes part of you and you take a ride together!

Then I thought about HOME by Marc Broussard. It has become my theme song. I've owned 4 houses and lived in a great number of "parking places" during my life. I've never had a real home, until now. This place- small, simple and not fancy in any way is it's the only HOME that I've ever had!

I decorated the interior like a hunting/fishing cabin and there's not a frilly, fluffy or heart shaped object anywhere around! From muzzle loader rifles on the wall to my ancient Coleman lanterns and Bowie knives hanging on the walls, this is MY place, my first and only HOME!

When the time comes, I made arrangements to be cremated with my ashes to be sprinkled in the back yard of this place. I LOVE this place and I'm not leaving!

Marc Broussard said it best for me........TAKE ME HOME!

Flash
    Texas SOT

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I did a batch of gizzards (Breaded 450/25), some more chicken thighs with some chicken legs and Turkey legs waiting in line. I'm eatin' good!

JoVee's (actually Joe V's) still has their chicken legs at 77 cents per pound and chicken thighs at 97 cents/pound so that's the menu. Turkey legs at $1.67/pound are an extravagant treat.

My Pucker is developing a nice patina from constant use. It's not dirty....just well used.

To repeat, that Puck Oven has cooked EVERY dinner meal that I've had since the oven appeared on the scene!

Gonna make some cornbread this morning to add to our customary 2 egg, ham & cheese omelet with cereal on the side. It's a hard life!

Flash

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Pucked some great Turkey legs last night.

Opened the package, dumped the Italian seasoned Shake & Bake in a bag and coated all five legs. Slammed them in the Pucker within 10 minutes total prep time, cooked 450/40 and got enough for 2 1/2 meals in 50 minutes! Cleanup was minimal.

That's cooking "Flash" style!

Flash

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Either this Pucked chicken is getting MUCH more tasty, moist and tender or I'm losing my mind. I Pucked a batch tonight and it was WONDERFUL! Been having fun Pucking and there are plenty of leftovers.

Flash

CZPistol

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2015
    123 Easy St.
    I don't know how you do it, eating what seems like the same thing over and over day in and day out...I'd have to take a one-year hiatus from chicken and turkey after just a couple days of eating your meals. LOL

On a separate note, have you ever considered brining your chicken overnight before cooking? If you want a nice Cajun flavor without being overly spicy, try brining in several quarts of water seasoned with a granulated crawfish boil seasoning like Zatarains. Makes for some awesome fried chicken, and I don't see why it wouldn't be great in the Puck oven.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    When I retired, I took a 64% pay cut so I must live within my means. I NEVER eat in restaurants. This is a very long thread so I don't imagine that you read all of it so here's a recap..........

I use big batches of the main course and use that meat in various ways during the week. I gathered all of the "fixin's" to make chicken burritos soon. Those are KILLER burritos!

The same thing goes for various types of ribs (country style, cuts of slab ribs etc).

After I make the big batches of entree, the meals are alternated and I say "My income dictates what I buy for food and it's my job to make the food interesting and delicious!"

ALL of my meals are large with plenty of leftovers using minimal preparation and easy cleanup.

Hell, I've been a bachelor since 1975. That should explain a lot.

Flash

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Eye opening at how much saved on food just using the Puck these past few months.

Groceries are damned expensive, but we eat much better food at a fraction of what it would cost in a restaurant.

Routinely rotate pork, poultry, beef, and occasionally fish, through the Puck.

Pork and poultry are cooked more often because they are cheaper, and fish (usually salmon) a couple of time a month. Beef I buy only in the "sell by bin" at 50% off lowest price.

Pucked four large chicken thighs for less than $2 on Thursday night that fed three; last night pucked 3lb of boneless pork ribs that Linda was still talking about this morning.

Anything happen to this machine tonight, I'd have another one tomorrow...

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    You've stated my plan exactly. This home cooked food is wonderful and it's so EASY to cook and clean up!

Last night, Bonnie came over so we made chicken burritos (chicken was cooked in the Puck previously) that turned out great!

Tonight, I Pucked five pounds of chicken thighs and used a grid that I swiped from my old toaster oven. The new grid is made of stamped aluminum with holes punched through it. It is much easier to clean that grid compared to the Puck grid made of welded round rods. The pan was foil lined so cleanup was simple.

My food is simple, easy to prepare and simple to clean up. Nothing difficult to cook comes from my kitchen!

Tonight, I breaded the thighs, Pucked them for 45 minutes at 450 while I watched the first part of NCIS. Jake & I ate in front of the TV and cleaned up during commercials! An added benefit was that I ate, dressed in my skivvies with my feet positioned comfortably on the foot stool. Hell, I have it MADE!

Flash

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I have to add, though, that this thread has me seriously considering the Puck oven. Living in a townhome, though, the lack of counter space is probably my biggest roadblock. Is the oven of a weight that tucking it into a cabinet after using would be a pain in the arse?

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Is the oven of a weight that tucking it into a cabinet after using would be a pain in the arse?

I keep my oven pushed under the kitchen cabinets until I pull it forward to use it. It weighs about 24 pounds and, like you, my kitchen is tiny with very little counter space. My place doesn't even have a dishwasher (except for my two hands)!

I plan to roll it outside on a cart this summer for my cooking so portability was considered. It's do-able.

Flash

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I keep my oven pushed under the kitchen cabinets until I pull it forward to use it. It weighs about 24 pounds and, like you, my kitchen is tiny with very little counter space. My place doesn't even have a dishwasher (except for my two hands)!

I plan to roll it outside on a cart this summer for my cooking so portability was considered. It's do-able.

Flash

We only use our dishwasher as a drying rack for hand-washed dishes...maybe I can turn the dishwasher into a Puck cabinet! LOL
    Seriously, though, thanks for the info....good food (pun intended) for thought.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs

Agree, in a small kitchen a regular kitchen cart is ideal for the Puck oven.

I keep mine on the island at home, but it is portable enough to take to our lake house, where the kitchen is much smaller, and it resides on a cart there.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Repeating a post from early in the life of this thread............

I was very skeptical when Bonnie came up with this oven. I fact, some of the advertising turned me off. "It tastes like love" made me choke. The Puck oven had a lot going against it in this house!

Bonnie bought her Pucker and we began cooking together. Holy Crap, the oven worked great! Not long after Bonnie bought hers, I got my Pucker and the rest is history! I've never had a kitchen product that changed my cooking and, in a way, my life! This thing cooks great!

The Pucker cooks under 5 or so pounds per square inch and that reduces cooking time to about 60% of conventional ovens. The pressure also reduces spatter as the juices stay IN the meat.

The oven comes with very sparse information, so Bonnie and I tried different ways to cook chicken and pork because we could afford that. We did some beef when the budget permitted. Everything we tried.....worked! The food wasn't good, it was terrific!

When we all started posting our cooking experiences with the Pucker, things really got moving. No one got a buck from sharing our experiences with the Pucker. If you like to experiment with your cooking and can improvise, this is the oven to get! If you want 100% directions and recipes, maybe the Puck Oven isn't for you.

Either way, the food that comes out of this oven is wonderful! It is more moist, tasty and tender than anything I've ever cooked. Cleanup using the pressure feature of the Pucker is minimal.

This oven works and it is far different from a toaster oven or conventional home oven. There is NO comparison!

Flash

PS..Kudos to Karlac! I still have dreams about some of his Pucked roasts!

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Here's the latest...

5 pounds of gigantic chicken thighs 450/45 minutes. I shook some lemon pepper over the uncooked thighs then slapped them in the Pucker.

Checked for temperature at 45 minutes. They were well done. Maybe 40 minutes would have been better. Brushed on Wally World BBQ sauce and Pucked them for 5 more minutes. Sweet Baby Rays works even better.

It's a pretty easy meal........I put them in the Pucker and went outside to play with Jake.

Be advised that the aromas coming from this Pucker meal could drive a person crazy!

It's getting warm. Going to build that roller cart that I bought a while back & cook outside.

Flash

Last edited:

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Here's the latest...

5 pounds of gigantic chicken thighs 450/45 minutes. I shook some lemon pepper over the uncooked thighs then slapped them in the Pucker.

Checked for temperature at 45 minutes. They were well done. Maybe 40 minutes would have been better. Brushed on Wally World BBQ sauce and Pucked them for 5 more minutes. Sweet Baby Rays works even better.

Went back and looked at some of your old posts yesterday to double check time/temp on pork ribs.

Pucked 2.2lb pork country style ribs, 450/30 minutes. Seasoned with garlic powder, pepper and lemon pepper, then marinated them in Allegro Original, at room temperature, for about 2 hours before pucking.

So good, juicy, and tender it was hard leaving some for tonight...

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Outstanding! DON'T post pictures. My heart couldn't stand it and I have dreams about those roasts! Did you have all those great veggies in with the roast? That MUST be wonderful!

I'm starting to use the pork ribs in my freezer BUT, Foodtown has chicken legs on sale for 59 cents per pound! Chicken is going to stay on the menu for a while! Got some more fixin's for Chicken Burritos!

I just had a thought................ my memory flashed back to working in the prison units. Depending upon what unit you were working in, everyone ate a LOT of what was raised or grew there. Some units raised chickens so they had every possible configuration of chicken meals. Some units raised hogs so they got real familiar with pork meals.

I'm retired and living on a small pension. I eat chicken.....snicker.

We did get lucky in an Offender transfer, though. The baker we got was a magician with baked goods and Officers & employees could eat all they wanted. Those were good times!

Flash

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    What a day! We snagged a new Toshiba laptop on closeout ($219) then hit JoVees for groceries,

I got a 5# slab of ribs to celebrate my 34th year of sobriety, today so we Pucked them. They were very tasty but I made the newbie mistake of selecting a slab that was almost too lean. I forgot the lesson of "Marbled" meat so it was chewy!

Another surprise today............
    I didn't make it to Foodtown for some of their Chicken legs priced at 59 cents per pound. Went to JoVees and got two big packs of legs at 57 cents per pound! It pays to shop!

The best part? This morning when I weighed in .....I'm down 14 pounds from the day the Puck oven came in the front door!

Flash

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Bonnie came over for a couple of days so Jake, Bonnie and I had a nice time being together. She left this morning.

Bonnie Pucked that recipe where she made medium rare steak covered with onions, cheese and peppers except she used gigantic chicken breasts instead of steak. It was very good but I preferred the steak. I think she may have dried out the chicken breasts a little, but the taste was still spectacular!

I bought two giant packs of the 57 cents/pound chicken legs so Jake & I are gonna be eating them for a while. Jake only gets a token helping.

Two show dog experts checked out Jake on Saturday and assured us that if we got the kid down to 8 pounds, they would make some puppies with him! He weighs 9.4 pounds now, so we have some work to do. Gotta get Jake laid! The boy's late Momma was a Grand Champion and his Dad is a show champion.

I mowed yesterday so I'm suffering as usual. Gonna go to the gun shop, then come back for a nap. Retirement is real tough!

Flash

Top Bottom