• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Goodto know info.
    Going to try that soon, love 'em.
    Grew up not wasting much when it comes to poultry.
    Thanks for the details.
    Texas SOT

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I have had a rough confrontation with this tree pollen so I've been feeling pretty bad. Tonight, nothing sounded good, so I heated up a big can of Creme of Mushroom soup and ate a plate of leftover gizzards. The breading isn't crunchy but they sure tasted good! I like ketchup on almost anything and it enhanced the gizzards. So....gizzard lesson #2. They are pretty good as leftovers!

Flash

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    With the big, long rain coming, I went grocery shopping for a Puck Fest!

This AM, I'm finishing up three loads of laundry, then we'll make some cornbread, an Omelet with egg, ham & cheese, then the livers & gizzards will get a try with a different coating. Of course the chicken legs are next with lots of ribs in the freezer for later.

Being cooped up with the bad weather can be fun and Jake is ready to help! The little guy wants to be involved in everything so he "Helps Daddy."

Flash

Kennydale

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Richmond/Rosenberg, TX
    Being a former NEW YORKER I have a thing for good CORNED BEEF. My wife can make a great DELI QUALITY Corned Beef (and Cabbage) in our Electric Pressure Cooker (Cuisinart) in about 90 minutes. Ribs in under an hour.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Tonight, pucked a 6lb pork loin - 50 minutes at 450/pressure, and it only hit 125 degrees in the middle.

Ten more minutes in the Puck and it came out way over done, at 180.

Still getting the hang of it. Timing is everything.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    It didn't rain as much as the weather guys said, so I worked on lawn mowers. I have three lawn tractors and two of them were Inop due to carburetor issues so that's what got me off the cooking task. Later today, I went next door to attend their crawfish boil/party/drinkathon. I skipped the drinking but had fun and enjoyed their company!

There's still one mower to repair but it looks like tomorrow will be a wash out. Gonna give the Pucker a whirl on Chicken livers, gizzards and legs. There are some variations and tricks with the gizzards that look promising. It should be fun!

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The gizzards were great and the Livers were OK, too. I didn't like the mushy consistency of the livers, but the taste was fine.
    More gizzards are on the menu but I will pass on the Livers.

I needed to cook the pack of chicken legs in the fridge so I Shake & Baked them for 450/35 under pressure. I'm collecting all types of breaded coatings and these legs got coated with Italian style breading. They were beautiful legs!

Last night, Bonnie made a WONDERFUL meal in the Pucker! As I go through the morning, I flash back to that meal. Geeze, I'm having day dreams about it. She's right here so I'll let her tell it.......

Hi, guys. Well here goes, Bonnie's "Tampaquena Steaks. Pressurized puck oven @450 degrees, roast,middle rack of oven in a grilling pan at 5 minute intervals = 15 minutes for 1.5 lbs. of steaks for medium rare steaks for two.

Check steaks every 5 mins. for an internal temp of 145 degrees. Sprinkle steaks with Fiesta Extra Fancy Texas Style Steak Seasoning on both sides.

Other ingredients needed:1 lg. purple onion-peeled and cut in half.Cut halves in slices. 1 small can of long green chiles,drained and sliced lengthwise. 2 tblspoons of sunflower oil in frying pan. Sprinkle same steak seasoning over purple onions and chiles before sauteing in oil. saute until very tender. Grate half a pound of Monterey jack cheese.

After steaks are cooked, layer onions and chiles over steaks followed with jack cheese. Layer 2 times over steaks. Melt cheese on steaks in puck oven while it is cooling off. Add baked potatoes and ENJOY!!!!!

BONNIE JEAN

It was great!

Flash

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I Pucked some gizzards coated with "Zesty" bread crumbs. 450/25 did them perfectly. There was a small amount of juice in the Puck Pan after cooking. The gizzards were great and more tender than fried gizzards from Hartz Chicken Buffet.

Up next are 5 Turkey legs and some new ideas on chicken legs.

To repeat.........as long as chicken legs are selling for 77 cents per pound, they will appear on my menus. It's my job to make what I can afford into something delicious.

NOW, THE BIG NEWS!
    I lost some more weight and it totals 12 pounds since the Pucker entered my home late in November 2014! The amazing part is that I eat 2 big meals per day (skip lunch) and eat a LOT! I am convinced that the weight loss is from cooking the meat that I consume better and getting the fat out of it.

The other amazing thing is that the weight loss was over a period of time when the weather sucked and Jake & I were cooped up in the house. During the summer, we are always outside. I hope the weight keeps dropping when we get our weather stabilized.

Flash

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Kennydale.................
    I slid right by your post. Yes, indeed, pressure cookers are the way to go for ribs and tougher cuts of meat! We did ours in stove top PC's then placed the meat in the gas grill to dry it out a bit then to apply the sauce. They are super tender and tasty!

Bonnie likes to put spices on the meat IN the PC. I don't prefer that because it makes the PC harder to clean up. My spices go on after the meat is out of the PC.

In my 16 quart, cooking times are about the same as the smaller PC's but it takes a lot longer to bring the big one to a boil.

I have 16 quart, eight quart and 6 quart PC's and all but the 8 quart (new) have been used a lot. I had another 6 quart PC but gave it to Bonnie.

Now...the big plan! I bought a roller cart at Harbor Freight and then got an electric pressure cooker from Kohls. The plan is to wheel the PC or the Puck oven outside to cook during the hot summer months while I rest in cool comfort inside! We'll see how it works.

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I Pucked the 5 turkey legs tonight. Took a gallon size bag, dumped the Italian flavored bread crumbs into the bag and shook them. The 5 legs fit perfectly on the Puck Grid. Cooked 450/40 under pressure. At 40 minutes, I had 176 degrees internal temperature. They probably could have used a bit less time but the meat was still very moist and tender.

The legs were $1.67/pound.

Cleanup time in the oven was less than 5 minutes. The reduction in spatter is a major blessing in these ovens!

Next up.....more chicken gizzards.

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    That Pucker Oven has turned out some outstanding meals since late November 2014. The rascal makes meat so juicy and tender that it's almost sinful and it's so darned easy to do!

When I retired, I had to commit to cooking at home as restaurant food would kill the budget. I started out with "bachelor specials" but that got old in a hurry. Now, I'm eating GREAT food, I've lost 12 pounds and I eat like a friggin' hungry tiger!

My meals are big, provide lots of leftovers and I specialize in quick & easy meals with little or no cleanup. Check out Karlac's creations earlier in the thread. I have dreams about his cooking! He is becoming an artist with groceries!

Flash

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Still experimenting with times and temps using the Puck on some of the tougher cuts of meat that usually benefit from being cooked longer at lower temperatures in conventional ovens.

This small (2.2lb) Angus beef chuck roast, was roasted in the Puck on top of new potatoes, sliced onions, sliced bell pepper, quartered tomatoes, and green beans.

Originally pucked at 325/50 minutes/pressure, it took an additional ten minutes (most likely because of the mass of vegetables) to get it to 125-130 degrees, where I like to take a beef roast out for it to be medium rare after resting.

An additional five minutes might have been sufficient, although it would be hard to ask for a better combination of flavor, moistness, and tenderness for the cut.
    Dude I have no idea where I can eat something like this for lunch. This is work torture. I need these bids to come in so I have more to do.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I have no idea where I can eat something like this for lunch.

I have always been frugal (spelled cheap). I prepared my meals and portioned them off in "Seal a Meal" bags, carried a can of fruit and a drink all in a Playmate cooler. I had a $35 microwave in my office and nuked the food. I could be done eating in 10 minutes! Your work will be higher in quality if you eat (spelled "taking care of yourself").

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Holy Crap, I hit the jackpot today! I bought some chicken thighs at Jo-Vees for around $.97 per pound. These thighs were gigantic! Doing the math on this batch, there were 10 huge thighs for a total of 5.33 pounds. That comes out roughly 1/2 pound per thigh!

I looked back in this thread when Karlac did his Turkey thighs. He cooked them at 450 degrees for 35 minutes, so that's what I guessed at for these thighs. It got me in the ball park.

I used the Wally World Shake & Bake extra crispy coating. I used two boxes which means 4 packages of the coating. The thighs all fit on the Puck grid in a foil lined Puck pan.

At 35 minutes, the thighs were at 145 degrees internal temperature. I wanted a bit more so they went back in the Pucker for 10 more minutes. Internal temperature was 175 degrees. I did not want any red meat in the thickest parts so that was fine.

Total Pucking time was 45 minutes at 450 under pressure.

I ate three of those thighs. That MAY have been the best chicken that I've ever eaten! The meat was moist, super tender and very tasty! Even better, the whole mess of chicken was about $6 and there is a pile of leftovers- seven huge thighs.

I'm gonna go back to Jo-Vees tomorrow and buy some more chicken thighs. These were absolutely wonderful!

Flash

Last edited:

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Man, that sounds good.
    I pucked a pork sirloin/vegetables earlier this week, outstanding as usual.
    I'd post a photo, but they're all looking alike by now.
    Still eating on it, though...

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I ran several loads of gizzards and some Turkey legs. Yesterday, I went to Jo-Vees and got some more chicken thighs and Turkey legs. That, combined with two packs of gizzards, means the rainy days are going to be filled with cooking, cleaning and laundry.

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    That looks SO good!

Before I got my Pucker, I ate pretty well. Now I eat GREAT meals and work less doing the cooking!

I have my Pucker and that brand new electric pressure cooker for cooking outside on the front porch but have not assembled the cart to carry them as yet. There will be some cooking going on!

I was appalled at how much money was being dumped on restaurant food. Except for a breakfast sandwich now & then, I haven't set foot in a restaurant since last October!

This will be a Gizzard Sunday! The Nascar race was postponed until today and our sky is looking rough. May need to postpone finishing up the lawn tractor service until later in the week.

Flash

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Every worthwhile TGT thread needs its own appropriate multi-media:

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout, Cher ...

Top Bottom