Lynx Defense

Ok Austin, can we get some good gun laws now?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cliffh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    North Texas
    My observations have been that CCers often (not always) have some training and grasp of the tactical benefit of hiding your weapon hidden. OCers are often not trying to protect themselves, but instead are trying to show off.
    I really dont care if it is legal or not....it is just unwise to take part in, in most cases.

For about the fourth time, is it any skin off your nose if someone else open carries?

Why are you & Renegade so antagonistic regarding open carry? Do either or both of you really believe that your way is the best and should be the only way?
    ARJ Defense ad

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    Another reason for OC is the ability to carry a full size handgun instead of a little pea shooter. I like my full size guns so much better but typically you have to dress around the gun in an uncomfortable manner to do it.

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    Yes, open (or conceal) carry a M16 machine gun if you want. 100% Texas legal.

Yeah, throw a Ar-15 over your shoulder and go walk your dog in your neighborhood. I guarantee you'll be surrounded by cops within minutes, and probably arrested for disorderly conduct AND have your weapon taken from you. Yessirree. That's what I call freedom.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    Yeah, throw a Ar-15 over your shoulder and go walk your dog in your neighborhood. I guarantee you'll be surrounded by cops within minutes, and probably arrested for disorderly conduct AND have your weapon taken from you. Yessirree. That's what I call freedom.
    Yup!
    It's legal, but you'll get your butt thrown in jail~ !
    Good law's, good laws!

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I think he's just trying to be impossible.

I personally think Texas could be much worse, for example California. However we are FAAAAAAAR from perfect and there is much room for improvement.

You did not even know you could open carry a long arm in Texas, so perhaps you should learn Texas Gun Laws first before you pass judgment on whether they could be better or worse.

And Cliff quotes the opencarry web site, which I have already pointed out contains factually incorrect info.

So it seems to me a lot of the opinions here about Texas guns laws are coming from folks who either do not know Texas Law or are distorting it to fit their own Agenda.

Go to this thread and tell us what you think needs to be improved:

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...s/18919-what-your-legislative-priorities.html

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

Funny, I do it frequently and have never had a problem, though usually it is an MP5. So much for your 'guarantee'.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    For about the fourth time, is it any skin off your nose if someone else open carries?

Why are you & Renegade so antagonistic regarding open carry? Do either or both of you really believe that your way is the best and should be the only way?
    For about the fourth time, no its not. If you take time to re-read my post, you will see I said that I DONT CARE if someone open carries. I merely state that it is usually unwise, draws attention, and makes you surrender your ability to go un-noticed and blend into a crowd (it puts you at a tactical disadvantage).

I have not and will not take any steps to see that it gets shot down in Texas as I really dont care one way or another. This is what I have said, according to your count....four times.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

I have not said a single antagonistic thing about OC. In fact I defend it. I have consistently debunked many of the myths people claim about OC (they shoot you first).

As TXI has pointed out, and I have, a lot of the OC crowd is deliberately distorting the laws of Texas to fit their OC agenda. This hurts the credibility of the OC movement.

I actually want OC, but I also know it will not happen because most of the Texas OC crowd I know of refuses to join the 2 most powerful pro-gun lobbying groups that could get it done. Kiss it good bye for 2011. Maybe in 2013 if the OC crowd gets it shit together.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I actually want OC, but I also know it will not happen because most of the Texas OC crowd I know of refuses to join the 2 most powerful pro-gun lobbying groups that could get it done. Kiss it good bye for 2011. Maybe in 2013 if the OC crowd gets it shit together.

This - quoted for the truth. Every time you "splinter" a core group for special interests, you weaken the overall effort of the group as a whole. Anyone remember the old saying "Divide and Conquer"? Yeah - it's true. Will I support OC? Yes. Do I think it has a realistic chance? Not until we get the attention of the "mainstream" gun rights groups in this state, and earn their endorsement by keeping our points on track and clear.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Just out of curiosity, where do you guys go that you see all these 30.06 signs at businesses?

I only know of 4 places with 30.06 signs, 2 are govt owned, and the other 2 are workplace plants only employees would go.

I have never seen a 30.06 at any place I normally frequent in the course of everyday life. It is like they do not exist.

The only sign that caused me to disarm was posted on a hospital. The gun show here in Austin used to have one and I assume the new location will, but the new location is a government owned building. I agree that a property owner should have the right to order anyone to leave, but I do not think a sign forbidding CHL holders should carry the force of law.

Cliffh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    North Texas
    You did not even know you could open carry a long arm in Texas, so perhaps you should learn Texas Gun Laws first before you pass judgment on whether they could be better or worse.

And Cliff quotes the opencarry web site, which I have already pointed out contains factually incorrect info.

So it seems to me a lot of the opinions here about Texas guns laws are coming from folks who either do not know Texas Law or are distorting it to fit their own Agenda.

Go to this thread and tell us what you think needs to be improved:

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...s/18919-what-your-legislative-priorities.html

The way I've heard TX law interpreted regarding car carry is that one must conceal their handgun - just as OC.org reports. I really am very busy right now; if you don't mind, would you post the section of the law where it says you don't have to conceal in your vehicle?

Which "2 most powerful pro-gun lobbying groups" are you talking about? If you're talking about the NRA & TSRA, neither of them are willing to try for OC here. I've tried a half dozen times to get anyone from the NRA to contact me so we could start a dialog about OC to no avail. The TSRA stated flat-out that they are not interested in pursuing the matter.

ETA: The TSRA also told me that the NRA isn't ready or willing to try for OC in TX.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    The way I've heard TX law interpreted regarding car carry is that one must conceal their handgun - just as OC.org reports. I really am very busy right now; if you don't mind, would you post the section of the law where it says you don't have to conceal in your vehicle?

Laws tell you what you can't do, not what you can do. If you are traveling, you are exempt from 46.02. Thus you can carry open, concealed, loaded, unloaded, whatever, basically no [carry] laws apply.

Which "2 most powerful pro-gun lobbying groups" are you talking about? If you're talking about the NRA & TSRA, neither of them are willing to try for OC here. I've tried a half dozen times to get anyone from the NRA to contact me so we could start a dialog about OC to no avail. The TSRA stated flat-out that they are not interested in pursuing the matter.

Yes, those are the two. No pro-gun laws has been passed in the 20+ years I have lived here without their support. Nor will any, anytime soon. OC folks need to join both groups and get a change in priorities.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

Click on my name on this post and read my blog. I have tried to explain this as much as possible.

Cliffh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    North Texas
    Click on my name on this post and read my blog. I have tried to explain this as much as possible.

Had a couple free minutes to scan your blog - thanks for your work on it. Haven't time right now to read all of it though.

I did find the following in Part 1:

In summary, if you are a law abiding citizen then car carry is lawful as long as the handgun remains concealed, and you can carry on your own premises or premises under your control.​

I added the bolding for emphasis.​

Cliffh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    North Texas
    The problem with both the NRA & TSRA is they have their own agendas and aren't willing to listen to the members. I know of at least a half dozen who've contacted TSRA about OC, all with the same response I received. And the NRA doesn't even bother to respond on the matter.

Discounting the all of the stats provided by anyone because of one (potentially) flawed stat is like failing a multiple question test because you answered one question incorrectly.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    If they don't respond, then it's because we allow them to get away with it. By getting more like-minded folks to join, then speak their minds at meetings, etc., we can get their attention. THAT is how to accomplish the change and still keep our voices strong, IMO.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    The problem with both the NRA & TSRA is they have their own agendas and aren't willing to listen to the members. I know of at least a half dozen who've contacted TSRA about OC, all with the same response I received. And the NRA doesn't even bother to respond on the matter.

At the state level, NRA provides strategy and guidance, they do not generally lobby state legislators.

As for TSRA, they seem to be doing exactly what their members want. That is why OC fans must join, and instead of 6 people asking for OC, make it 6000 or even better 60,000. This no different than CHL, which they were initially not interested in either.

C

CabbitOne

I would like to see some movement on the parking lot bill, campus carry and open carry in the next session.
    And perhaps even... dare I say it... move in the direction of Constitutional Carry.

+1
    I'd say Constitutional Carry in place of #3... but baby steps work...

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    zw150202
    Top Bottom