• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    So does anyone know if it pays to try Wally and use their services or is there a cheaper alternative? I've spent too many years working to save my money to start climbing back under the car to save a few bucks. Also, I will use the very best synthetics and filters available as they afford me the best protection for my enormous investment. I will not throw away money at some garage that has figured out a scheme to screw me though.

If Wally is the cheapest plus the cost of a $26 for oil of my choosing and a good filter (i use factory to 100k then Wix if better than factory) then I will go there.

Anyone use Wally and get a better deal on their vehicles?

My advice is to avoid Walmart completely for oil changes or any other automotive services. My son, who used to work there in automotive, has many stories of loose drain plugs, over fills, motor oil in the auto trans, wheels falling off, etc. Not him, the other guys, LOL.

Christian Brothers seems to be on the up and up, and their oil change prices are not too bad.
    ARJ Defense ad

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    My advice is to avoid Walmart completely for oil changes or any other automotive services. My son, who used to work there in automotive, has many stories of loose drain plugs, over fills, motor oil in the auto trans, wheels falling off, etc. Not him, the other guys, LOL.

Christian Brothers seems to be on the up and up, and their oil change prices are not too bad.
    Christian brothers do good work, and they stand behind it; but you are going to pay for it.

Don't use Wal-Mart oil. Not even for top off

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Christian brothers do good work, and they stand behind it; but you are going to pay for it.

And a 3rd ...

Had a bearing begin making noise in the AC compressor of my wife's Burb.
    Had a couple local shops estimate the cost and CB was very competitive.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    So does anyone know if it pays to try Wally and use their services or is there a cheaper alternative?
    I hope Wally is a trusted local mechanic. If you mean Walmart then hell no don't use their services. Buying the supplies at Walmart is fine; they sell the same stuff as everyone else but usually a little cheaper.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Depends on the Walmart. The country Wal-Mart out this way has a pretty good, knowledgeable mechanic staff within in their scope of capabilities there and I would trust them to do an oil change. I first started talking to them when they installed a battery for me (it's free installation there). I would avoid the Wal-Mart in NRH as they attempted to do a battery years ago and failed because they didn't have terminals pullers... Yikes.

YMMV

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Depends on the Walmart.
    Yeah there can be some good ones out there; just not in general. Same for the quick lube places. Back in my home town a buddy of mine was a manager at the Jiffy Lube. That's probably the one and only Jiffy Lube in the country that was worth a damn :laughing:

Pretty sure he doesn't work there anymore, tho.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Yeah there can be some good ones out there; just not in general. Same for the quick lube places. Back in my home town a buddy of mine was a manager at the Jiffy Lube. That's probably the one and only Jiffy Lube in the country that was worth a damn :laughing:

Pretty sure he doesn't work there anymore, tho.
    Good point. Mechanics are so poorly paid a treated it's hard to find a good one anywhere any more.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    All the good mechanics I've worked with are at Govt Shops, dealerships, and corporate shops (Cat, John Deere, etc). It seems like that one's at lube shops/walmarts are either starting out and trying to work thier way up to the big leagues by learning through OJT, or are at these shops because they can't get jobs at the big shops. Granted, there's always exceptions, but that generally seems to be what I find.

At the same time, I've also seen lazy mechanics at the big shops...but they usually at least know what they're doing. The ratio of good vs lazy in the big shops isn't usually the same as in the smaller shops.

Mom n pop shops are a whole other category themselves.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Thanks. We have a Christian Brothers close by so I will stop and see what the prices are and any other services they offer. We have two SUV's that are getting on in age and miles which everyone knows needs attention. Mine is falling apart at the seams but is the one we are keeping since my wife let her Nissan get beat to crap.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I drove a Fiero (engine in the back). Took it to a walmart and watched for way longer than I should have while they tried to find the engine. When they popped the hood and found the spare tire I just about hit the floor laughing so hard.

They finally came in and asked where the engine was. I watched them like a hawk as they changed the oil\filter.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Local Dodge/Chrysler dealer charged $100 for a four oil change package deal on my 2013 RAM 1500 last year.
    Have one left,.
    Makes me wonder what it's going be next time ...

No longer wondering ... $97.65 (estimate per/River Oaks Dodge/Chrylser on 3/30/2016). and they have obviously discontinued their 4 changes for $100.

Lube and Filter Change: 54.75
    Filter 8.25
    Oil (6 @ 4.50) 27.00
    Shop Supplies 4.38
    Tax 3.27

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    No longer wondering ... $97.65 (estimate per/River Oaks Dodge/Chrylser on 3/30/2016). and they have obviously discontinued their 4 changes for $100.

Lube and Filter Change: 54.75
    Filter 8.25
    Oil (6 @ 4.50) 27.00
    Shop Supplies 4.38
    Tax 3.27

At least they didn't charge a disposal fee for the old oil. :)

tmd11111

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    San Angelo, Tx
    FWIW I checked several oil change places locally to see what they would charge for an oil change in my f250 ps if I brought my own oil and filter. They all wanted $40. Would cost close to $100 that way as well.

Top Bottom