• ...and so much more!
  • mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    The wife has been going through some medical issues and I've been down with bronchitis twice since Thanksgiving.
    No time for an oil change, needed one badly, so I got lazy and stopped by my local Jiffy Lube.

6 qts of 5W30 Mobil 1, filter and the normal fluff ... $94.xx

When I asked about it, the manager said it was because I requested Mobil 1 and they charge $12/qt.
    I asked him if that 100% markup was worth losing a customer with 3 vehicles ... a stretch, I know, but ... He had no response.

I typically change my own oil. I have a lift in my shop, so its no big deal ... usually takes longer to get the vehicle on the lift than it does to drain the fluids.
    I paid dearly for my laziness.

Its been forever since I had a quickee change place perform a fluid change.
    Is this the going rate elsewhere?
    Gun Zone Deals

randomthought

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2014
    Sounds about right the normal oil change is the low buck no name oil and the same for the filter

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    That is high but may be normal for that type of place in your area.

Even when oil was high I was only paying $75 or so at a local place. This was 4 gallons of oil in a diesel with filter and lube.

RACER X

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Richmond/Houston
    How are you a customer w 3 veh, when you change your own oil

And yes it's high, but that's why I typical change my own oil as well

sent from the batcloset in the batcave on the batphone

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Yeah, that's pretty close to what I pay at Jiffy Lube or Kwik Kar. Changed the oil on the wife's Honda CRV myself a couple of months ago. But the Expedition, I take in it once a year for state inspection and oil change. I'm too old to be crawling around under vehicles anymore.

Jiffy Lube advertises $29.99 oil changes, but that is for 5 quarts of Pennzoil non synthetic and a Pennzoil filter. I hate going to those places. I always feel ripped off when I leave. I think they even charged for topping off the washer fluid last time. Or was that the blinker fluid?

PBR

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Houston
    wow thats insane price -- guess you can tell i have been changing my own for many many yrs, i had no idea that is was even close to any of the prices posted -- WOW

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I always use Mobile 1 oil and filters, and for the two vehicles I just did changes on the supplies alone cost me almost $100. Given the mark-up for labor, I am not too surprised that it came to that price; but it's more motivation to do my own changes as long as I can!

That said, we take our Honda minivan to Walmart for oil changes. It's not easy to do and it would take a nuclear strike to knock that motor out, so I'm "risking" it.

Cheers! M2

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I bought 6 quarts of Mobil 1 5w-30 for $27.99 and a Mobil 1 Filter for $12.99 on Amazon back in November. Free shipping. Pretty cheap oil change. The Mobil 1 oil is up to about $47 now, but it jumps back and forth. Watching for another sale.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    In my Harley Sportster, A couple quarts of Royal Purple, filter, chain case filler gasket, one quart of chain case oil, totals about $80-$90. That's if I buy the stuff and take it home to work on it. The local shop runs oil change specials at $100-$120.

The local shop is a Non Harley shop that specializes in building racing engines. They advised me to change the engine oil filter and primary case oil and let the Royal Purple run for one more oil change cycle. That saves some money!

FYI Royal Purple: The Harley has a separate oil tank with a twist cap at the top. I changed the filter and had regular oil on my hands. I twisted the cap on the oil tank with no problems. After filling the tank with Royal Purple, I tried to reinstall the tank cap. Couldn't grip the cap with RP on my hands. Tried wiping my hands clean with a rag....still couldn't twist the cap! Had to go inside, wash my hands and use degreaser on the cap before I could twist it closed! RP is some slick stuff!

Flash

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Damn guys. I'm doing full syn oil with Wix filters for around $30 - $40. That's crazy. Here's a tip-buy your oil at walmart and your filter (if wix) at Advance Auto. Thier Red Carquest filters are made by Wix.

Chirpy

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Hutto, TX (kinda)
    No more Jiffy Lube. Dropped off truck and went to eat across parking lot. Walked back over to find their shop full of smoke and smelling of burned rubber right as they were pulling out my truck. They had even sprayed some water down to make a burn out box. They admitted they wanted to play with a V10.

Ran it all the way up to Regional Manager, no results, not even a real apology from anyone other than the kid who did it. Sorry corporate procedures. At least they didn't drop it in the pit in the process.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Wow! I paid $60 for a Hemi with synthetic blend and thought that's was outrageous. Guess I'm not going to complain.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Work truck is generally $200-$300 when it goes in. Depends on if fuel filters are replaced.

Sent from my HAL 9000

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Took my car to this place called Cypress Station, they're a big car wash + basic service joint. Once. Not only did they use the absolute worst thing you can still legally call an oil filter, they attempted to pull a fast one on the 'fluff' services. The guy comes into the waiting area and told me my car needed a transmission service, which they can do for whatever $. I asked him how he determined that it needed it, fully playing along. He said the car had whatever miles and it was manufacturer recommended (false) and that he checked the trans fluid and it was starting to look dark (also false). I continued to play along, acting concerned, and asked if he could show me the fluid. He hems and haws a little and hesitates to bring me into the bay. I'd had enough - I called him out on his lies, and informed him that factory recommended service interval (100k for light duty, 60k for severe duty) wasn't anywhere near, and the fact the car doesn't have a transmission dipstick (it has a sealed plug in the fill tube). Got my keys, paid for the 'oil change' and have never returned. Price? Right at 100 bucks.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Youtube search "Jiffy Lube Undercover Investigation". There's a whole series that dateline did showing what a pathetic buisness this is. Just Brakes is another one.

Top Bottom