Good mornin fellow gun toters.

IMG_5717.jpeg

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    …when retailers no longer care about customer service...
    I haven’t been much of a fan of self checkout until the last six to nine months. I don’t like the impact it has on entry-level part time work opportunities. Lately though even HEB has been having a hard time filling those jobs, so I’m starting to accept the necessity.

There was an article I read just yesterday that reinforced my acceptance. The size of the US working age population is shrinking and is beginning to do faster than jobs can be automated. Size of workforce will shrink faster than job automation for 15-35 years. As always, this means what an entry level, part time hob is will evolve. It also is going to force employers to rethink the value of background, work history and education when looking for talent while reconsidering the value of creating worker loyalty as it’s almost always more expensive to replace a worker than retain.

Anyways, I digress…a good self-checkout experience is now becoming my preferred alternative to a bad face to face transaction.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    How is it insulting?

I like them. Scan my shit, pay, and go. Takes way less time if everything is working properly.

When was the last time you were at a retailer and really had a great experience with help there? Maybe 1 in 10 times if you don't know what you're looking for?

Whatever simplifies the process of me getting what I need and getting out of there I'm all for (short of a chip implant).

Or were you just showing them who's the boss and sticking it to them?

Making them check you out when you could have easily done it yourself is kind of a Karen move in my opinion but you do you.
    Today's self-checkout is a step toward what you say that you won't do - and since you use them, it means that you will just follow along with the rest of the woke and get the chip implant because having the chip implant will simplify the process even further and get you out of there even quicker.

So it was commendable what @Whistler did and not what you say was a "Karen move" at all.

On the other hand, you are just helping the chip implant to be implemented all the sooner.

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    I haven’t been much of a fan of self checkout until the last six to nine months. I don’t like the impact it has on entry-level part time work opportunities. Lately though even HEB has been having a hard time filling those jobs, so I’m starting to accept the necessity.

There was an article I read just yesterday that reinforced my acceptance. The size of the US working age population is shrinking and is beginning to do faster than jobs can be automated. Size of workforce will shrink faster than job automation for 15-35 years. As always, this means what an entry level, part time hob is will evolve. It also is going to force employers to rethink the value of background, work history and education when looking for talent while reconsidering the value of creating worker loyalty as it’s almost always more expensive to replace a worker than retain.

Anyways, I digress…a good self-checkout experience is now becoming my preferred alternative to a bad face to face transaction.
    Magic word. "Automation".

Years ago, the Big Three auto firms went heavily into "automation" (you should see the Ford or Chevy Factory Floor...a real good place to get seriously injured if you step in the "wrong" place!!! The speed of the robot arms/spot welders is well beyond the ability of a man to get out of the way!!)

My question? How many cars will all them blame "robots" buy?

Wally Weird. Here? The Wally Weird tries to only hire single mothers. They send them to a class on how to "maximize" the Gov't Benefits.

Wally Weird has no intention of EVER PAYING these poor women (I know, all about choices, and some folk make real poor ones) ENOUGH to get off of relief.

I rarely (several times/year) go to Wally Weird. Do my very best to time it so as to NOT do the self check out thing.

Next thing you know? They will install power sweepers/mops on the buggys! And the customers will be sweeping/mopping as they shop! :50cal:

1695819860146.png

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Mornin' y'all!
    How is it insulting?

I like them. Scan my shit, pay, and go. Takes way less time if everything is working properly.

When was the last time you were at a retailer and really had a great experience with help there? Maybe 1 in 10 times if you don't know what you're looking for?

Whatever simplifies the process of me getting what I need and getting out of there I'm all for (short of a chip implant).

Or were you just showing them who's the boss and sticking it to them?

Making them check you out when you could have easily done it yourself is kind of a Karen move in my opinion but you do you.

It's a good thing folks are permitted to see things differently without name calling. That's an "insult", just to clarify the term for you.
    If convenience and speed was my goal I'd pick up the phone and have it sent to my door.
    What's next? Sweep a little, take out their trash, whatever is quicker for you? I find it insulting a brick and mortar retailer would foist any aspect of their job to a customer. Especially with employees standing there directing me on how to do their job! It's Customer Service and it's dying off in the name of convenience. It's a hidden fee for their benefit at the cost of your labor.
    Why bother going to a nice restaurant, you could just nuke a burrito, way more convenient or maybe you enjoy just sitting down and letting someone else cook and serve you? Can you see the difference?
    I didn't say anything negative about someone that is willing to put in a little work in order to make a purchase, you do you, right?
    I'm not trying to be rude but I also lived through a time when I wouldn't be the only one outraged at a cashier stepping to the side and expecting me to do their job "for my convenience".

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Today's self-checkout is a step toward what you say that you won't do - and since you use them, it means that you will just follow along with the rest of the woke and get the chip implant because having the chip implant will simplify the process even further and get you out of there even quicker.

So it was commendable what @Whistler did and not what you say was a "Karen move" at all.

On the other hand, you are just helping the chip implant to be implemented all the sooner.
    How many groceries? Will them "self check out" gizmo things ever buy?

Local Market? Three cashiers and two baggers!

Meat & produce is FRESH & LOCAL!

The Ladies in the DELI are swell! Courteous & Competent!

Do 90% of my grocery shopping there! Get soaps & such like at the Dollar General, across the street. For the most part DG's staff is helpful (at this store)...

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Mornin' y'all!

It's a good thing folks are permitted to see things differently without name calling. That's an "insult", just to clarify the term for you.
    If convenience and speed was my goal I'd pick up the phone and have it sent to my door.
    What's next? Sweep a little, take out their trash, whatever is quicker for you? I find it insulting a brick and mortar retailer would foist any aspect of their job to a customer. Especially with employees standing there directing me on how to do their job! It's Customer Service and it's dying off in the name of convenience. It's a hidden fee for their benefit at the cost of your labor.
    Why bother going to a nice restaurant, you could just nuke a burrito, way more convenient or maybe you enjoy just sitting down and letting someone else cook and serve you? Can you see the difference?
    I didn't say anything negative about someone that is willing to put in a little work in order to make a purchase, you do you, right?
    I'm not trying to be rude but I also lived through a time when I wouldn't be the only one outraged at a cashier stepping to the side and expecting me to do their job "for my convenience".
    Well said!

1695820830730.png

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    The Big Town
    Top Bottom