187950462_1918371318314639_2265508811718320575_n.jpg

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Today's self-checkout is a step toward what you say that you won't do - and since you use them, it means that you will just follow along with the rest of the woke and get the chip implant because having the chip implant will simplify the process even further and get you out of there even quicker.

So it was commendable what @Whistler did and not what you say was a "Karen move" at all.

On the other hand, you are just helping the chip implant to be implemented all the sooner.
    So I'm woke because I use self checkouts? I think that's a little bit of a stretch but you do you.

Do you pump your own gas? Do you wash your own windshield and check your own oil? Do you load your own groceries in your car? Do you go to the store to get milk?

You must be woke as well then because these are services that you must now do yourself that used to be done for you.

You must also be woke because self checkouts are a contest to higher minimum wages for minimum employees, a key point of the woke culture.

Be careful. Your entitlement is showing.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    i look at Self Checkout is a convenience, for a few items it is nice. But more than 6 or 8 and it is hassle,.
    The hybrid self-check at my local HEB is very popular. There are two registers where you self-check but then you push your items on down the rollers to an HEB employee who bags them. One bagger handles two check-out lanes and can help people who can't figure out how to pay.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Mornin' y'all!

It's a good thing folks are permitted to see things differently without name calling. That's an "insult", just to clarify the term for you.
    If convenience and speed was my goal I'd pick up the phone and have it sent to my door.
    What's next? Sweep a little, take out their trash, whatever is quicker for you? I find it insulting a brick and mortar retailer would foist any aspect of their job to a customer. Especially with employees standing there directing me on how to do their job! It's Customer Service and it's dying off in the name of convenience. It's a hidden fee for their benefit at the cost of your labor.
    Why bother going to a nice restaurant, you could just nuke a burrito, way more convenient or maybe you enjoy just sitting down and letting someone else cook and serve you? Can you see the difference?
    I didn't say anything negative about someone that is willing to put in a little work in order to make a purchase, you do you, right?
    I'm not trying to be rude but I also lived through a time when I wouldn't be the only one outraged at a cashier stepping to the side and expecting me to do their job "for my convenience".
    You must have sat at the gas station for a long time waiting for full service after they changed over to self service only.

Did you run to a pay phone to give the CEO a piece of your mind?

Are we pretending self checkouts are something new or just the straw that broke the camel's back?

Coon

Changing from glory to glory
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2023
    Montgomery
    So I'm woke because I use self checkouts? I think that's a little bit of a stretch but you do you.

Do you pump your own gas? Do you wash your own windshield and check your own oil? Do you load your own groceries in your car? Do you go to the store to get milk?

You must be woke as well then because these are services that you must now do yourself that used to be done for you.

You must also be woke because self checkouts are a contest to higher minimum wages for minimum employees, a key point of the woke culture.

Be careful. Your entitlement is showing.
    Entitlement? For expecting to recieve services that he's paying for? I remember when pumping your own gas was optional, and you got a discount for doing it yourself. That's right, they paid you to do their job. That's not woke. Doorstep milk was more expensive also, but way fresher. And at my grocery store, they still offer to come load my groceries in my car. That's not woke.

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    The Big Town
    The hybrid self-check at my local HEB is very popular. There are two registers where you self-check but then you push your items on down the rollers to an HEB employee who bags them. One bagger handles two check-out lanes and can help people who can't figure out how to pay.
    We have that option at the HEB here in the big town too. I find it slightly more convenient that the "true" self check.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Was going to mention that but I have to ask; do you think such initiatives would have been successful if people didn't docilely capitulate to them?
    Take one of your examples, pumping gas. As mentioned originally it was optional and a discount was the incentive. Physically capable folks in a hurry could pump it themselves and save a little time and money, awesome.
    But then the option went away, along with the discount but folks (mostly young) felt the convenience was worthwhile and the company picked up the $. What about the handicapped and the little old ladies or folks just not in a big hurry enjoying the service?
    Point is not everyone is willing (or capable) and if folks had just said NO, we wouldn't find ourselves enjoying the privilege of paying to conduct a bank transaction a teller used to do for free.
    I won't buy the entry level pay increase, mostly it increases profits and puts people out of work, disadvantages the infirm and handicapped and candidly reduces my willingness to patronize stores dedicated to such measures.
    Maybe it's just me but the net result is to drive more commerce to online retailers, community be damned.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

That’s brilliant. Can’t wait for that at the new HEB being built just down the road.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I’m an HR guy now. I’ve never seen a company make such drastic changes to benefits plans as my current employer made for 2024. All of this was unannounced and has come as a surprise to most of the HR space here outside of the compensation team.

For a company that differentiates itself as an industry leader in benefits with a desire to retain employees, these changes doesn’t make much sense and are going to be a hard sell to the employee base.

Last edited:

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Cass County TX.
    I’m an HR guy now. I’ve never seen a company such drastic changes to benefits plans as my current employer made for 2024. All of this was unannounced and has come as a surprise to most of the HR space here outside of the compensation team.

For a company that differentiates itself as an industry leader in benefits with a desire to retain employees, these changes doesn’t make much sense and are going to be a hard sell to the employee base.
    Hard sell to the employees, but they have no choice, but leave. And when turnover tops out over 35% Home Office will blame HR for not implementing these changes in a positive way.

Unitrin/Kemper did this about a year before Covid hit. Cut the company match for the premium level healthcare, reduced the top 401k match, switched to a metrics driven salary matrix, eliminated goal driven bonus program, increased the employee participation for the optional coverages. Negative turnover went from under 8% to over 30%. They had to use Temp Agencies to survive. Although they had nothing to do with the decision, the SR. VP.s of. HR, and Claims chose to pursue other endeavors", before they were asked to do so. Net written premium and loss ratio dropped, and to date have not recovered.

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I’m an HR guy now. I’ve never seen a company make such drastic changes to benefits plans as my current employer made for 2024. All of this was unannounced and has come as a surprise to most of the HR space here outside of the compensation team.

In the early 1980s I was young and ignorant and a newly minted federal employee. I'd been on the job less than a year when management started trying to sell employees on converting from Civil Service pensions to a new, blended plan that included a tiny pension, a fed-equivalent of a 401k, and Social Security. They really pushed, complete with high-pressure meetings on a regular basis telling us how we'd have so much more money in old age if we'd just give up our old-fashioned pension.

I was inexperienced, yes, but a few months on the job was enough to figure out that when management so desperately wanted employees to do something optional, that thing was bad for the employees. It didn't matter what it was. If management was pushing it so desperately, it would turn out awful for anyone suckered in by the sales pitch.

Time proved me right. Lots of people had the same instinct.

So, yeah, you're looking at a very hard sell.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    …So, yeah, you're looking at a very hard sell.
    One if the changes is allocation of PTO. Each employee is awarded X days of PTO on Jan 1 or a pro-rated amount on first day of employment. Historically, the entire balance for either is available on day 1. Historically, employees could also buy PTO during annual enrollment and that was available on day 1 of the new year as well.

Next year, the PTO award doesn’t change, but the allocation changes to 1/12th of the total award per month and any bought PTO is distributed at the same rate. Even the highest PTO-earning rate with all additional buy in days won’t have PTO distributed at any significant difference from least PTO-earning rate.

Historically employees bank PTO and carry it over indefinitely. Now all PTO must be used during the year it’s earned. Unused PTO (to include bought days) is paid out on 12/31.

The real kicker is employees will be able to go into the hole for up to 10 days (four or five months of distribution) on day 1 of the year. Almost all employees won’t be able to earn enough PTO to cover a week off until March, even if the buy all available additional time off. We have a large number of employees that take most or all of a week off during Spring Break due to kid school schedules. After that, it’s go in the hole or build back up from zero or one starting in April. Meanwhile, one big trip will force some employees to defer time off until they have enough distributed to cover the trip.

Never, ever go in debt to the company and this policy encourages going in debt to the company.

Top Bottom