• Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Good mornin' y'all!

Cornbread, corn muffins, johnny cakes, corn fritters, corn pone, corn cakes, etc. are all made with cornmeal and are not a biscuit.

Biscuits are made with flour and are a point of pride in the part of Texas I come from.

That said I can never forget the butter pooling in mom's fingerprints where she pressed out a corn pone and fried it up.

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Good mornin' y'all!

Cornbread, corn muffins, johnny cakes, corn fritters, corn pone, corn cakes, etc. are all made with cornmeal and are not a biscuit.

Biscuits are made with flour and are a point of pride in the part of Texas I come from.

That said I can never forget the butter pooling in mom's fingerprints where she pressed out a corn pone and fried it up.
    Flaky biscuits are Great!

Coon

Changing from glory to glory
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2023
    Montgomery
    Well, I'm doing the low carb thing right now, and while there are lots of "low carb" bread offerings out there, you can't find a cornbread that is low carb. But I do have a question for everyone, and it might start a war. Sweet cornbread, or not? My Mamaw would have been ashamed to serve sweet cornbread, but that's my family. What is the consensus?

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I went 66 years never having cornbread. Making up for it now - especially when those little green peppers are in it! Yum :)
    Big wedge of hot cornbread, topped with navy white beans and Pico De Gallo ...

Almost as good as a real cajun gumbo.

As kids, right after WWII when things were still rationed:

Dessert: hot cornbread, slathered with peanut butter, and doused with Blue Ribbon Cane Syrup;

Or cornbread in a glass of cold milk with sugar.

Wouldn't have got this far in life without cornbread for supper, and rice and gravy for breakfast. :shades:

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    Well, I'm doing the low carb thing right now, and while there are lots of "low carb" bread offerings out there, you can't find a cornbread that is low carb. But I do have a question for everyone, and it might start a war. Sweet cornbread, or not? My Mamaw would have been ashamed to serve sweet cornbread, but that's my family. What is the consensus?
    Cornbread must be kinda moist and sweet.
    Eating dry unsweet cornbread is akin to eating dirt!

Support
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    zepunisher
    Top Bottom