Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Wow, that's pretty personal.

And although I disagree with all that he said and spend plenty of my money at Wally World, your comment seems a little uncalled for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Not agreeing but it's common internet knowledge. Google "OP"and you'll see that he was not actually personally attacking, just spreading internet retardation.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Our Globalization prof made us watch this and do a discussion regarding walmart and it's criticisms... lol. Can't wait to see their reaction, as you also have to reply to one other posters message.

trollmart.png

This guy did a whole essay, titled "THE EVIL WAL MART" lol... here's his post

Subject: The EVIL WAL-MARTTopic: Online Discussion #2 - Argentina
    Author: xxxxxDate: November 2, 2012 3:02 PM
    As an avid ant-Wal-Mart shopper, I have extensive knowledge when it comes to “Why one should not shop at Wal-Mart”. For one it is an incredibly evil corporation that practices horrible business law and ethics. Its company polices are seen as both discriminatory to race and gender, and it’s treatment of employees is seen as inhumane. For example, the average Wal-Mart employee is paid $13,861 a year, which is $1,500 below the federal poverty line, and because of this employees are forced to seek government assistance when it comes to living.

Wal-Mart is also small town and business killer. Its low prices and large selection of products and services draw customers away from the small business owners, therefore killing the community. For example in 2006 a Wal-Mart store opened in Austin, a neighborhood just outside of Chicago. Prior to the Wal-Mart opening there were 306 businesses; now there are less than 150. Researchers have found that the closer a business is to a Wal-Mart the more likely it is to fail.

Wal-Mart is also criticized by the ILRF for its international labor rights violations. They continuously use sweatshop labor, which forces employees to work long hours for very little pay. They then release misleading reports, which contain false information about the working conditions in the factories overseas. The conditions are so bad because Wal-Mart forces its suppliers to compete on price, therefore they will do anything to guarantee that their price is lower even if that means violating human rights laws.

Over the past 10 years Wal-Mart has seen a dramatic increase in the amount of people criticizing it. Labor Union groups, religious groups, community groups, environmental groups, and Wal-Mart customers and employees are deciding to rally against the company. Wal-Mart has responded to these claims by refraining to release public information and launching public relations campaigns. For example, Wal-Mart used to release ethical sourcing reports every year, which they had done since 2004; but now because of the increased amount of violations, Wal-Mart has decided to begin releasing them every two years. Another example would be Wal-Mart’s launch of Working Families for Wal-Mart, an advocacy group created by the public relations firm Edelman to battle the claims made by the groups Wake Up Wal-Mart and Wal-Mart Watch in 2005.

In the end I believe that Wal-Mart is the prime example of “globalization”, but I think that it embodies all of the negatives and none of the positives. Unfortunately it uses sweatshop labor, violates human rights, discriminates based on race and gender, and goes against all of the ethical standards a company should maintain. I think that if we are to change the view of globalization around the world, we need to start with Wal-Mart.

So I wrote a counter essay titled "Companies exist to seek profit" and wrote an even longer essay. I think we are supposed to write at least a paragraph or two haha

Subject: Companies exist to seek profitTopic: Online Discussion #2 - Argentina
    Author: Syed Ali Date: November 2, 2012 8:53 PM
    Wal-Mart has become a controversial corporation for many reasons. One of these reasons, that employees are not paid enough, spawns because Wal-Mart cuts costs to pass the savings to the customers, therefore providing consumers with a discounted shopping experience with a large selection of goods. However, because Wal-Mart needs a low cost to stay competitive and survive, they argue that they cannot pay employees much more than they do, as paying each of their 2,100,000 employees more would result in higher product prices, which is one of the main reasons why customers choose Wal-Mart over other companies in the first place. A resulting decrease in sales would consequently lead to more layoffs as Wal-Mart would theoretically lose customers due to the loss of its competitive advantage. Wal-Mart is not a place where you are supposed to work for the rest of your life, but if that is your plan, strong work ethic and demonstrating the values you bring to the company will likely lead you to higher positions that will pay better. If you do not want to work at Wal-Mart, then you can simply leave and find work elsewhere, as nobody is forcing or enslaving them, as employees who claim to be enslaved are willingly working there.

It was also shown that the laborers in foreign countries who produce products are not treated fairly and routinely have their rights abused. In response to this, Wal-Mart has employees who travel to these workshops and make sure that the workers are in fine living conditions and aren’t having their worker’s rights violated. If their working and living conditions are poor, Wal-Mart will not do business with them. However, these workshop owners, who only do business with Wal-Mart, may force the workers to lie to the Wal-Mart inspectors about their living and working conditions. This can’t be blamed entirely on Wal-Mart, as they can only do so much to make sure the company contractors they hire aren’t abusing their worker's rights.

Other issues are that Wal-Mart destroys small businesses in the towns that it opens new stores in. However, this cannot be blamed upon Wal-Mart, rather the citizens who choose to shop at the new Wal-Mart over the local small businesses, leading to loss of business. Customers get lower prices and wider variety at Wal-Mart, and therefore shop there rather than the local small business. If someone placed a box of fresh, warm donuts next to a tray of asparagus at an appetizer table, and as a result the donuts are consumed, but the asparagus is ignored, you can’t blame the donuts for being tasty and delicious, or the asparagus for not being sugary and sweet; rather the blame lies upon those who choose to consume one snack over the other. The donut simply provides more enjoyment, or in Wal-Marts case, better prices and variety of goods sold.

Other criticisms of Wal-Mart are that they are not environmentally friendly. In response to this, Wal-Mart has shown innovation in recycling materials and cutting fuel usage. However, upon showing these statistics to a popular anti-Wal-Mart website operator, she claims that it is still not enough.

I believe that the changes have been substantial, and that Wal-Mart is taking enough action to resolve the issues presented. I do agree that Wal-Mart is a symbol of globalization, as it conducts business with many overseas and foreign nations, and even has stores in other parts of the world. Wal-Mart shares its business practices and values with foreign nations, and even partakes in their cultures, for example, selling live fish in Asia, which isn’t all too common in their American stores. It also does business with countries that have a comparative and/or absolute advantage in the production of certain goods when compared with America. If this isn’t a symbol of Globalization, I don’t know what is.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Great response. Don't be surprised if they try to humiliate or embarrass you. Liberals frequently use this tactic when their propaganda is exposed as lies.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Yup. I've seen many a liberals use the "Gun owners have small penis'/Gun owners are compensating" response, and I'm sure they use other irrelevant insults in other arguments lol. However I think many of the students, other than a few, are just posting whatever relevant info they can just to get a good grade and couldn't care regardless jajaja

Top Bottom