• ...and so much more!
  • Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    It always amazes me when folks ask questions along these lines. Mostly due to vanity being the controlling factor. Carrying a gun is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable. As stated by somebody with a lot more experience than I.

That pistol you're carrying would fit great in a pocket holster, an "Alien Gear" or "Crossbreed" IWB tuckable, under the shirt type holster, or even a smaller OWB type holster with a looser fitting shirt or jacket.

Carrying a sidearm on a daily basis, as well as carrying at different types of venues and events, means making concessions and changing a few things here and there in how we dress in order to accommodate said sidearm. If you don't want to do that, then just start open carrying and be done with it.

retrieverman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2019
    Texas
    It always amazes me when folks ask questions along these lines. Mostly due to vanity being the controlling factor. Carrying a gun is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable. As stated by somebody with a lot more experience than I.

That pistol you're carrying would fit great in a pocket holster, an "Alien Gear" or "Crossbreed" IWB tuckable, under the shirt type holster, or even a smaller OWB type holster with a looser fitting shirt or jacket.

Carrying a sidearm on a daily basis, as well as carrying at different types of venues and events, means making concessions and changing a few things here and there in how we dress in order to accommodate said sidearm. If you don't want to do that, then just start open carrying and be done with it.
    Every church “I know of” is posted with a 30.07.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    To build on my statement earlier and give examples you can check out:

Here's Galco's pocket holster that'll fit your pistola - made of steer hide and featres the formed in hook to help clear the holster from the gun on the draw, a feature I like in a pocket holster

I'd marry that up with this:

So you can have a spare magazine in your other pocket, in a consistent orientation should you need it.

If you'd rather carry on a belt, Galco makes a nice leather holster for your Kimber. I'd park it at the 3' oclock position, so its not stuck behind your back causing discomfort - or, God forbid, a repeat of the White Settlement - one of the men who attempted to engage the killer there was carrying behind the hip, and that wound up costing him his life because it was too slow to get the gun into play.

Switching materials on you and going to my personal preference in holsters - kydex - Vedder Holsters makes some good quality gear at reasonable prices, and they make holsters for your Kimber.

Like the Galco above - this features a hook to catch the pocket and help pop it free. One of the options when ordering is a "thumb tab" - I personally like this type of feature, its a small formed in shelf that gives you a place to push with your thumb as you draw, also helping to release the gun from the holster. Personally, I would spend the $3 extra for that feature.

Next from Vedder is a classic kydex pancake design that's been made by hundreds of kydex benders for decades. This particular design is nice because, while its sold as an OWB holster, it converts very easily into an IWB holster with a hardware swap.

For $6 you can get both sets of OWB belt mounting tabs - which will let you ride closer or a little further from your body - whichever you find more comfortable.

You can then pop over here to KnifeKits and snag the IWB conversion hardware - you might want to go with leather, or the rubberized nylon - its personal preference and what matches best with your daily wear.

Order 2 of the "with hardware" straps (they are not sold in pairs) then if you want to wear that holster IWB, unscrew the OWB hardware from the holster back, slip the Chicago screw thru the top rivet hole on back side of the holster, slip a 7/32 or 3/8 faucet washer over the exposed part of the barrel (not included in that kit, but I like it because it gives you a tad bit of extra space for the top edge of your pants to sit in, AND it helps prevent the screw from backing out by adding tension to the system) - then you place the strap over the hole (the straps are punched with multiple holes to fit belts upto 1.75 or 2 inches) then the "male" part of the snap assembly, then install the screw thru the whole thing. Repeat on the other edge and Viola - you now have an IWB holster.

Another solid option for you is Muddy River Tactical's IWB

This is the style of holster I've migrated to myself for most IWB carry - the Muddy River holster features the Modwing concealment wing - my favorite thus far of the various wings. What they do is give the belt a place to push against, rotating the butt of the gun into your body and aiding concealment and reducing printing. I've tried a few versions, the Modwing has given me the best results thus far, followed by Raven Concealment's claw in 2nd place.

I'm not a fan of FOAMI type plastic clips - I would order with either the Ulti Clip or the dual soft loops, or visit KnifeKits and spend a few bucks on the DCC Monoblock clip:

Far, far more secure than the plastic clips. I have not yet had the Monoblock pop off my belt. Cannot say the same for the plastic clips at all, I only use the plastic clips for light weight stuff like mag carriers, even then, I'd rather have the Monoblock.

Then we come to the most expensive option - shoulder holsters.

Galco does not list your gun, they'd be my first pick. But Kramer makes a shoulder rig for the Kimber Micro Carry. I've had Kramer holsters before, they were good. Not my favorite leather, but not my least favorite either.

With the shoulder holster you either need to give up speedy access and wear it under your outer shirt (tucked in or not - pearl snap shirts would arguably give you faster / easier access than traditional buttons) or wear a suit jacket over it, which would be a bit faster to draw from, but probably be uncomfortably warm most days. I don't know how you regularly dress at church (and after) but you can wear a shoulder rig under a normal shirt - the straps may print, or people not familiar with shoulder holsters might think you're wearing a bra. Let 'em wonder.

I mentioned thunderwear before - not jokingly - but it'd be my last choice. Personally I wouldn't use it without a kydex trigger guard cover either - something like this:

https://store.kimberamerica.com/desantis-slim-tuk-iwb-holster-micro-380 - leave the belt clip on there and jam the whole thing down into the holster pocket. Keeps the trigger covered and less likely for you to shoot your junk off accidentally. This is not a fast draw rig by any means, but if it lets you carry, its better than nothing.

Carrying a gun is going to give you a level of discomfort going unarmed doesn't have - you will notice the weight or pressure from the holster even with the smallest of guns. @toddnjoyce has a good point - you may be new to carrying a firearm and some of us who've been doing it for decades forget what new carriers go through. That may or may not apply to you.

As a large dude - a bit taller, and more than a bit heavier than yourself - I've found comfortable ways to carry much larger guns than your own. I've never really been a fan of micro guns - they're usually not fun to shoot (meaning not fun to practice with) and depending on carry method - larger guns are actually easier to conceal. If you're trying AWIB (appendix) then a gun coming in around that 4 inch barrel (or equivalent slide length) range is damn near ideal, because you need muzzle length to act as a keel to the heavier grip. Then it becomes finding the right position for your body. I personally carry in the 2-2:30 position - my body forms a pocket there that I can carry a Glock 17 or 21 in with only mild discomfort for long periods of time.

If I'm carrying OWB - I'll carry the biggest gun I own and throw a shirt or vest long enough to conceal the muzzle on it - going with a holster that pulls the gun close to the body.

I don't do behind the hip carry anymore - haven't for years because of the discomfort when seated, and the advantages carrying in front of the hips brings.

hullhullhull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2022
    El Paso
    Phlster Enigma with a compatible holster from your choice of makers. I pair my Enigma with a holster from Phlster. They are not cheap though.

I can adjust the ride up and down to prevents “digging in” as well as around my waist to tailor the concealment to my body shape.

I use an Enigma with great success in my church clothes (dress pants with a tucked in button up shirt).

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    1663550584461.png

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Good quality shoulder holster and a sports coat...

You can carry a big, full-sized gun that way and it is comfy and nearly impossible to see and is likely easier to draw from seated position (it sure is for me)

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    Every church I regularly attend or visit doesn't post anything...
    I'd be questioning the brand.
    The five churches I normally attend in a year, my primary, and four that I visit whenever travelling to whichever location, are all pretty friendly to known individuals carrying.

Guns308

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2022
    Abilene

If every church you know is 30.07 then you need to seek out better churchs. The ones I frequent will have openly invite folks to carry there for everyone's protection.

The easiest way to get used to carrying and make it more "comfortable" is to carry everyday. It gets your body used to having the extra weight and bulk there. Same with wearing a cap, a belt, carrying a phone, hiking boots. If they are new to your body, they feel funky, until they fool ok. Also the sticky holster is one of the most comfortable ways to start holsters. Get a reinforced belt and the holster will not move much at all unless you do sit-ups or roll around on the ground a bunch. Wolf tactical has an instructor style belt on Amazon for about $22 that works well.

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    I think people tend to over estimate the effects of printing.

I usually wear a fitted dress shirt, or polo, with slacks when I am out and about. I carry at 3-4 o'clock, IWB.

For a sanity check, I sometime ask my wife or son if they can see my carry gun through my shirt. The answer is usually, "It doesn't look like you're even carrying!" With practice, and repetition, you'll eventually figure out what outfit you can wear with each carry gun you have.

You have to have the basics down first:
    - Get a good belt. This is usually how I catch people printing or carrying out in the wild. They have some cheap WalMart belt and their entire rig is hooked onto that and some cargo shorts. It sags low like crazy, and swings around. The belt I use audibly clicks as I am tightening it, and has a quick release lever for when I need to take it off. Get a good quality belt.

- Get a good fitted holster. Sure you can get away with generic Galco's off the shelf, but it's not ideal and you risk having your gun fall out if it's not fitted for your gun. I prefer claw setups over "belt loops". Just my preference.

- Understand your body. My buddy is kind of a portly fellow, not obese but he has a gut and love handles. When he carries IWB, I'm not even joking, he tucks his rig under his love handle. The effect is that it looks like a solid line, no bumps, or protrusions showing on his shirt. Now I don't have huge love handles, and don't know how it feels when a gun is poking them, but he carries a Walther PPQ 5", and I could not detect the gun through his regular t-shirt.

If you're still paranoid or worried, you can buy one of these.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom