• Status
    Not open for further replies.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    and a week later this thread won't go away like a annoying uncle at a party who has had too much to drink.....

I swear some of you people would bitch if you were hung with a brand new rope.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    I've realized two things from this thread.
    Your Honor, I object to this whole line of questioning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I got that from watching YEARS of Perry Mason)

bob
    One: I need to watch more Perry Mason
    and a week later this thread won't go away like a annoying uncle at a party who has had too much to drink.....

Two: fucker, just realized I'm that uncle.

Sent from some where out there.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX

ETA

I'm pretty sure I'd bitch no matter the age or quality of said rope.

Sent from some where out there.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I'd want a really old, rotten rope with lots of frays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    And they always seem to have their little boot lickin henchmen who go out starting crap and who are completely immune from the rules and punishment.
    I personally think this group of mods are far too kind to a lot of the flat brimmers that call them out.
    JL was crying becuase he wasn't one of those folks, but I have noticed there's a few people that seem to get way more leeway than others. Gotta wonder who's BIL that is :laughing:

I'd want a really old, rotten rope with lots of frays.
    I've got one for sale.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Just a couple of observations -

On Self-moderation - If anyone is familiar with Slashdot then you're familiar with the biggest experiment in self-moderation. At first it was a mess. They tweaked and tweaked and eventually it worked well. Then they went too far with the tech and tried to slick up the place (and got bought and some other stuff) and what was once *the* place to be in the tech world (there was actually a time when you could auction off low member numbers/IDs for serious money because people so wanted to look like they'd been there from the beginning) began its rather steep descent into meaninglessness. tl;dr - Self-moderation works until it doesn't and forum-runners inevitably can't quit fiddling with it until they screw it up.

On Self-moderation, again - The single best self-moderated board I ever saw was designed with just one forum and all topics aged off without regard to the last post date. You could see the last hundred threads or so, in the order they were created. Everything else disappeared. That means that the conversations are always kept on currently pertinent topics and overheated, flamewar threads simply disappear in short order. This would never work on TGT where there are some old threads that are invaluable reference material and must be maintained forever, e.g. if the "Houston Area Gun Ranges" thread ever disappeared, I'd be in sackcloth and ashes for the foreseeable future. However, for single-topic boards, the "age everything off" method does keep the conversation fresh and does tend to keep people on the current topic since they really have no choice to go dig up old stuff.

On TGT Moderation - Am I part of some addlepated minority who barely noticed that some recognition was given to the addition of some new mods but hasn't really noticed any difference in the board? There have been a few troublemakers who got booted in the past; I noticed that. I suppose such things will happen in the future. But the stuff I'm interested in and read isn't showing much change. That's not a knock on the newer mods; it's a compliment. I'm saying that I always thought TGT worked pretty well and I think it still does. It's tolerant of a little fun and I don't feel like I have to put on a straightjacket to log in, yet folks who go ape seem to disappear. That seems like a happy medium to me.

Then again, perhaps I'm just not terribly observant.

No matter. To all who mod, keep up the good work. I've run boards and I've made trouble on boards before so I fully appreciate the difficulties involved...from several perspectives.

CZPistol

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2015
    123 Easy St.
    I have a few questions, YG, which, admittedly, may come across as suggestive.

1. Is there somewhere on the board that shows a list of who the moderators are? If there is, I haven't been able to find it.
    2. How are duties separated, i.e., do certain moderators have responsibility for certain areas of the board?
    3. Is there an expectation by the admin staff that a moderator commits to spending X hours per day fulfilling his/her moderator responsibilities?

The last question comes from my observation that there are mods who aren't active on the board for days, even weeks, at a time. Maybe that has been changed, and I just haven't noticed.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land

1. Is there somewhere on the board that shows a list of who the moderators are? If there is, I haven't been able to find it.
    2. How are duties separated, i.e., do certain moderators have responsibility for certain areas of the board?
    3. Is there an expectation by the admin staff that a moderator commits to spending X hours per day fulfilling his/her moderator responsibilities?

The last question comes from my observation that there are mods who aren't active on the board for days, even weeks, at a time. Maybe that has been changed, and I just haven't noticed.

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/showgroups.php
    For question #1.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

Vaq answered 1

2: Nope, mods just handle things as they are found. Reported post are dealt with by whoever happens to get there first.

3: No time requirement. Generally mods are active members, but sometimes we get busy with different things in life and may be absent for a little bit.

CZPistol

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2015
    123 Easy St.
    Vaq answered 1

2: Nope, mods just handle things as they are found. Reported post are dealt with by whoever happens to get there first.

3: No time requirement. Generally mods are active members, but sometimes we get busy with different things in life and may be absent for a little bit.

Might PM you some further thoughts when I have time. In the meantime, thanks!

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    29yqebr.jpg

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    There is no unwritten set of rules that moderators discuss and hold secret votes on.
    Yes, there is an "admin" section where things are discussed. But, we have lives too.
    There's no set meetings. No agenda. Basically, a mod reports to the rest, " I banned *"
    "I fixed * thread", and so forth.

I don't loose sleep over this forum. I came here for information and stayed for same, and entertainment.

If it bothers you that much, take flash's advice. "Turn the thing off".

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom