• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Nah, all the age stuff is missing the point. The age to get a kid their first gun if 100% dependent on the kid.

It’s the parents responsibility to determine if that kid is ready though, and on them in they fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    That country does not exist anymore.

I had an Adult Hunting License in New Jersey at 15, and hunted on my HS property.
    I was just surprised to hear that you wouldn't give your own kids a gun when they were young.

I've repeated many times, killed my first deer at 8.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    EXACTLY!
    Things not to do when you have a troubled 15 year old kid. Don't let him near your firearms.
    ^^^ THIS ^^^
    Nah, all the age stuff is missing the point. The age to get a kid their first gun if 100% dependent on the kid.

It’s the parents responsibility to determine if that kid is ready though, and on them in they fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ^^^ AND THIS ^^^

IMO these parents are just as responsible for the tragedy as the kid - maybe even moreso

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I wonder why they haven't arrested the parents of the black kid that shot up his school a few weeks back?

Maybe because the shooter was 18, dad was dead, mom was in jail, and the grandmother he might have lived with didn’t provide him the firearm. Either way, under Texas law an 18-year old can lawfully purchase and possess a handgun so long as they aren’t a prohibited person, so it’s reasonable to assume other relatives may not have directly contributed to the incident.

Generally speaking, I’m all for hanging parents if they had a role in their kid’s criminal behavior, even if it’s not the norm.

I also realize there’s politics at play in both cases.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I was just surprised to hear that you wouldn't give your own kids a gun when they were young.

I've repeated many times, killed my first deer at 8.

No I would not buy one and gift it to them in a manner where they think it is there's (Here is your Christmas present junior). Shoot my guns all day long in my presence. No problem. Take one of my hunting guns out (if legal) on your own, sure if you proven your are mature enough.

Never bought a gun for my kids, but trust me they had more Trigger time (including F/A) than anyone in the military (outside SOCOM) before they were 18. Those were the days of cheap ammo!

BillM

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2021
    TX
    Maybe because the shooter was 18, dad was dead, mom was in jail, and the grandmother he might have lived with didn’t provide him the firearm. Either way, under Texas law an 18-year old can lawfully purchase and possess a handgun so long as they aren’t a prohibited person, so it’s reasonable to assume other relatives may not have directly contributed to the incident.

Generally speaking, I’m all for hanging parents if they had a role in their kid’s criminal behavior, even if it’s not the norm.

I also realize there’s politics at play in both cases.
    Here I thought you had to be 21 to have a handgun.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    No I would not buy one and gift it to them in a manner where they think it is there's (Here is your Christmas present junior). Shoot my guns all day long in my presence. No problem. Take one of my hunting guns out (if legal) on your own, sure if you proven your are mature enough.

Never bought a gun for my kids, but trust me they had more Trigger time (includng F/A) than anyone in the military (outside SOCOM) before they were 18.

This surprises me.

As long as you keep possession of it until they are 18, I don't see what the problem is.

Top Bottom