• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    What pisses me off is when I pass an 18 wheeler in the left lane and before I can get a couple car lengths of distance between me and him to safely move over without the risk of being crushed if there’s a sudden stop, a line of jackasses start swerving to the right lane at the first possible moment and start passing making it nearly impossible to get out of the left lane.

I do get some joy if I manage to move over and cut one of them off leaving them trapped between me and the semi truck as everyone starts flying past on the left again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Yaaaaa.....thats baaaad. Had a couple of baaaad experiences there.

...and pacers. No ones mentioned them. Cruising along peacefully, pass a slower car in the other lane, go to get back over and suddenly they are riding in your blindspot. Thats a problem. I play the drunk driver at that point. Making sure there's clearance, I drift into their lane about a quarter ways and then jerk back suddenly. A few of those and people will wake up real quick and get the hell away from you.
    I don’t think anyone knows what a blind spot is anymore.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    How were you taught to judge the proper distance between you and the car in front of you?
    I think when I was a kid just going off what the dmv recommended. As my work history grew from driving jobs fortunately training was provided and reactive test shown why seconds and distance matter.

IMO, if you ask professional drivers what distance is ok you will get different answers. A lot of truckers don’t get drilled about fallowing too close by instructors. On the other hand bus or shuttle drivers typically are required to not fallow a certain distance based on their speed.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    60 years ago we were taught to allow approximately one car length+ for each 10 mph you were traveling.

Noticed that the youngest was taught: https://www.aceable.com/safe-driving/safe-following-distance/

The first is subconsciously ingrained in my head and is second nature, but neither seem to be used much anymore, to the point you wonder whether either one is taught.

Pretty sure there are pros and cons of either ...

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    None of that matters if you aren't paying attention. People looking at their phones is a bigger problem.

I saw a guy on a 2 lane road wander completely into the other lane. Oncoming cars were on the shoulder to avoid him. It probably took him about 15 minutes to notice from the time he hit the line to when he swerved back into his lane.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Agreed. I had a guy in front of me while trying to merge on 360 using his phone to talk to male phone sex operators. Had to lay on the horn. Time to pay attention shit tard.

Seen plenty of people texting while merging.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    I think when I was a kid just going off what the dmv recommended. As my work history grew from driving jobs fortunately training was provided and reactive test shown why seconds and distance matter.

IMO, if you ask professional drivers what distance is ok you will get different answers. A lot of truckers don’t get drilled about fallowing too close by instructors. On the other hand bus or shuttle drivers typically are required to not fallow a certain distance based on their speed.

Fallow? https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fallow

Top Bottom