• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    What I learned in Driver's Ed in HS. I don't think it is even taught anymore, which might be part (but not all) of the problem.
    That's what we learned in Driver's Ed too. But now days, I think they are teaching the 2 second rule. Which is, when the vehicle in front of you passes an object, such as a sign post, it should be at least 2 seconds before you pass that same object. That works for any speed from 10 mph on up. At 60 mph, you would be following at 176 feet, or about 59 yards.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    How were you taught to judge the proper distance between you and the car in front of you?
    We were taught min. 2 seconds, ideally 3 seconds in drivers ed.

The real answer is dependent on so many factors: Driver attentiveness and alertness, driver's raw reaction time, driver's real-world reaction time (based on attentiveness, alertness, fatigue, etc), vehicle capabilities (both yours and the cars you're following), road surface conditions, straight vs curve, level of traffic congestion, apparent stress level of nearby drivers, any diversions from smooth flow (entrances/exits, merges, splits), position and intensity of the sun, etc.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    We were taught min. 2 seconds, ideally 3 seconds in drivers ed.

The real answer is dependent on so many factors: Driver attentiveness and alertness, driver's raw reaction time, driver's real-world reaction time (based on attentiveness, alertness, fatigue, etc), vehicle capabilities (both yours and the cars you're following), road surface conditions, straight vs curve, level of traffic congestion, apparent stress level of nearby drivers, any diversions from smooth flow (entrances/exits, merges, splits), position and intensity of the sun, etc.

Be heading down I-30 to Texarkana in the morning.
    Text me and reply back to you on that.
    :evil:

Support
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    edmonsonjohn68
    Top Bottom