Hurley's Gold

Is anybody else sick of all of the 9/11 media garbage?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    Re: Is anybody else sick of all of the 9/11 garbage?

We don't have near the ceremony on December 7th each year, and until we do I'll think about where I was on 9/11 for a few minutes on Sunday, reflect on how my life and this country have changed, and then go on about my day as if it were any other...
    Gun Zone Deals

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas

I'll never forget it, but all the people who have gotten rich selling 9/11 coins, bears, songs, and advertising for "news" are despicable.
    I like this.

I never said we should not keep the victims in our hearts... I only said that I am tired of having the media shove it down our throats for their profit and little else. "get over it" is mainly directed at the profiteers and their relentless beating of the 9/11 drum. I am not heartless here people.

But I do stand by my fake war comment. 100%

kurt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Tyler, Texas

I liken it to things like Christmas. There is a true meaning that is personal and should always be remembered. Then there is the commercial version. I hate the commercial version of both.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land

I liken it to things like Christmas. There is a true meaning that is personal and should always be remembered. Then there is the commercial version. I hate the commercial version of both.

Me too! Thanks for putting words to what I feel.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I edited the first post to try and make it get the point across I was trying to get across. It could have been taken the wrong way as originally posted, but I did not intend the "get over it" comment to be directed at you guys here or the public in general... just the morons in the media and the profiteers who have made tons of $$$ on this story.

I can see where that changes the tone of what I was trying to say.

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas

Like Kurt said, the commercial and media versions are way overboard. Will we forget - NO but let's do something constructive to make it count. December 7th was 70 years ago. My uncle was there up close and personal. Will I ever forget - NO but we had to move on. Hopefully the election of 2012 will have as big an effect on the future. Let's make it count too, for everyones sake

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    I'm just sick of it being used as a marketing tool for creeps to make money off of. Should it always be remembered HELL YES!!!!! Should it be whored out to make a dollar no, but that's the way it goes.

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....

Sick of it? NO! Forget? NO! Sick of PC feelgood hug a jihad and let 'em build a mosque? HELL YES!
    Remember always. I'll never forget the sick in the pit of my gut feeling of that day.
    Great post and just bout sums it up for me. but i will also add, I Truely DESPISE the media for using what happened on that tragic day for ratings/$$$!!!

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

I understood what you meant in the original post. I can't stand people trying to commercialize 9/11. My memories of that day and emotions about it are way too strong for me to put up with that kind of shit.

I remember when people were complaining that the media wasnt talking enough about it and refused to show the video of the planes hitting the towers. When the president didnt want us to use the term "terrorist", when it was no longer a "war" on terror and became a "contingency operation". Now that the pendelum has swung the other way we are complaining about that too.

How fickle we are.

I agree. I was angry when the media said they wouldn't show it anymore. After a week without TV shows or music on the radio, we're just supposed to look away, to try and forget the images that we should all have burned into our brains? We're supposed to forget what the world sounds like without jets overhead?

Not. Fucking. Likely.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    SKD-10-Sale-430x278.jpg

SKD Tactical | Select Military and Law Enforcement Tactical Gear and Equipment

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    DFW / Amarillo

But I do stand by my fake war comment. 100%

I understand the media/profiteers point. It's true. Like Rahm Emanuel says, never let a good tragedy go to waste. You may believe that this was/is a fake war. If you fought in it, your opinions carry more creedence and you have every right to express your feelings. Over two tours, I lost a lot of friends. They were my brothers. They weren't fake. What we were fighting for, we believed in. I still do. When we took Fallujah and killed people who were evil, it was real. When we found houses that held Iraqi prisoners where they had been tortured and murdered, it was real. When we cleared city after city so they could vote, it was real.

I think you mean the politicians and media have f'd these wars up beyond belief. I supported Bush twice, but I was mad as hell about some political decisions that he made that directly affected us and caused people to die. I realized that the media was anti-American when CNN was playing a video of a VBIED that killed 7 people and injured a lot more within an hour of it happening. We took the casualties to the hospital and it was already on TV. The statement that this war is fake is highly offensive to me. The politicians who lead it, maybe. That comment is offensive. But I am a big boy and I am not going to hold your opinion and right to say what you want against you. I just respectfully disagree, sir.

I am not trying to put myself on some pedastool. I'm one of a million or more who has been overseas to fight. Iraq was nothing compared to every war before. I'm not special, but my friends who died for this country are and my family is better off for their sacrifice and I believe our country is too.

iibao

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2010
    San Antonio

Death to our enemies, death to their relatives, death to their friends and neighbors, death to their livestock, death to the parasites that infest their damned bodies.

I'm sorry that you feel that way, but that's exactly how they feel about us. And many innocent people died because of it.

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    i've seen two shows recently that i thought were VERY well done

both were either on discovery or natgeo (i get the two confused)

anyway - one was a show about how they worked ground zero as a crime scene - how they identified bodies (parts), sifted thru all the rubble, looking for evidence....fascinating really considering the scope of the work they had to do - and how they accomplished a herculean task

and then another show - 2hours long - on discovery (pretty sure) where they break down the day minute by minute and really piece together what happened - lots of great pictures, video and audio

NBC had a deal last night that was actually quite moving - featured the fire department

i guess what i'm saying is that not every thing on the boob tube is sensationalized - there are some productions out there that are very well done and worth watching - in my opinion

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Once again, the media is whipping a subject of their choosing into a frenzy. I absolutely HATE that.

A more appropriate response would be to gather intel about our enemy positions or strongholds before 9/11, then bomb the living crap out of them on the anniversary of this tragedy. I've shed a bucket of tears over this murderous act but I'm not a person who would stand in a group, holding a candle while singing songs or ringing a bell for each victim. That serves no purpose except to help the media whip this story up and lets the enemy see our pain. I'd have the enemy terrorized while running like roaches, taking to the hills and bunkers to save their sorry asses. That honors our victims and their families.

What is the best response for the 9/11 anniversary? Bombs, yes.....bells, no.

Flash

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas

I understand the media/profiteers point. It's true. Like Rahm Emanuel says, never let a good tragedy go to waste. You may believe that this was/is a fake war. If you fought in it, your opinions carry more creedence and you have every right to express your feelings. Over two tours, I lost a lot of friends. They were my brothers. They weren't fake. What we were fighting for, we believed in. I still do. When we took Fallujah and killed people who were evil, it was real. When we found houses that held Iraqi prisoners where they had been tortured and murdered, it was real. When we cleared city after city so they could vote, it was real.

I think you mean the politicians and media have f'd these wars up beyond belief. I supported Bush twice, but I was mad as hell about some political decisions that he made that directly affected us and caused people to die. I realized that the media was anti-American when CNN was playing a video of a VBIED that killed 7 people and injured a lot more within an hour of it happening. We took the casualties to the hospital and it was already on TV. The statement that this war is fake is highly offensive to me. The politicians who lead it, maybe. That comment is offensive. But I am a big boy and I am not going to hold your opinion and right to say what you want against you. I just respectfully disagree, sir.

I am not trying to put myself on some pedastool. I'm one of a million or more who has been overseas to fight. Iraq was nothing compared to every war before. I'm not special, but my friends who died for this country are and my family is better off for their sacrifice and I believe our country is too.

I sincerely hope you are right, but I suspect you are not. I have two "son in laws" who have each done two tours in Afghanistan and Iraq. They have seen things no human should have to see, but out of honor and duty for the country we love, they most certainly did what they were sent there for. I have no beef with our troops...l far from it. I just think we have been sold a bill of goods in this "war" of ours.

The war is real. I'll give you that. The reason for it is fake. The senseless wasting of our troops pisses me off to no end.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I don't care for the media whoring the event for their gain, but I don't mind them making note of it. I feel it's a line dictated by ethics and respect; on one hand it's good to be reminded and give thanks and honor to those that dealt with it, but on the other it's unethical and brash to utilize their loss for your own gain.

iibao

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2010
    San Antonio

I didn't make them my enemies, they did.

And we didn't do anything to provoke them?
    Those bastards killed innocent people. What do we accomplish by killing more innocent people? How are we different from those bastards if we killed their innocent?

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio

And we didn't do anything to provoke them?
    Those bastards killed innocent people. What do we accomplish by killing more innocent people? How are we different from those bastards if we killed their innocent?
    Our goal from the onset was not to kill innocents. Theirs was.

Our military goes to great lengths to avoid killing non-combatants. They seek out schools, offices and hospitals as targets.

Trying to compare what we do to what they do is insanity.

Top Bottom