Screenshot_20200111-082024_Chrome.jpg
      160.8 KB · Views: 298

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    OMG. Check this (rather tiny snippet) from the AP article about Iran admitting to the shoot-down:
    President Hassan Rouhani acknowledged Iran’s responsibility but blamed the downing of the plane in part on “threats and bullying” by the United States after the killing of Soleimani. He expressed condolences, calling for a “full investigation” and the prosecution of those responsible.

Iran’s Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif also deflected some of the blame, tweeting that “human error at time of crisis caused by US adventurism led to disaster.
    They launch a unilateral missile attack on US forces and panic and shoot down a commercial airliner, but it's on the US???

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Behind pay wall.....

Weird. I’m not logged in via web. Anyways, here’s what I think is the pertinent part:
    b46fdfca4a73348649ee123ae50ec06c.jpg

That the Revolutionary Guards Aerospace Force hasn’t traditionally been involved in the Air Defense Forces operations, so the question I have is why now?

The only answer I can come up with is for spin, because it doesn’t take days to figure out if one of your SAMs got loose.

For me, this article reinforces it was intentional.

Attachments

• b46fdfca4a73348649ee123ae50ec06c.jpg
      b46fdfca4a73348649ee123ae50ec06c.jpg
      81.5 KB · Views: 664

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Weird. I’m not logged in via web. Anyways, here’s what I think is the pertinent part:
    View attachment 197098

That the Revolutionary Guards Aerospace Force hasn’t traditionally been involved in the Air Defense Forces operations, so the question I have is why now?

The only answer I can come up with is for spin, because it doesn’t take days to figure out if one of your SAMs got loose.

"Dang, Amir, that was the biggest bottle rocket I have ever seen..."

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    View attachment 197098

Interesting. Anymore links for things that make you feel it was intentional? Public or PM if you prefer.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Interesting. Anymore links for things that make you feel it was intentional? Public or PM if you prefer.
    It's more the totality of the information. Earlier in the thread, I posted the 2019 DIA unclassified assessment of Iran's military capability. Add to that an SA-15, like *most* mobile SAMs in Iranian doctrine is used as a point defense weapon. Remember, the first Iranian story was 'technical problem' with the aircraft, then mechanical problem.

Two days ago, the Iranian story then became 'tragic outcome defending against terrorist American dog cruise missile'.

That makes zero sense; US cruise missiles would have been on an inbound course towards the airport, at or below 500', and smoking along at 500+ kts. That is completely the opposite profile of the departing airliner, outbound heading, at 8,000' MSL/4500-ish' AGL, 250 kts, climbing, with an ATC code. The turn back to the airport (and descent) only occurs after missile impact, so that logic just doesn't work out.

Now, the Iranian's are on the record contradicting themselves on their employment doctrine, because the story above just isn't believable.

The only reason to keep changing the story is because the truth can't be acknowledged, ergo the most likely reason they can't acknowledge what really happened is because it was intentional.

The only story the Iranian state has to sell is internal...and so far, that isn't being bought either, which is why all the pivots. Once the internal story is accepted, then pivoting stops.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    You'd think they would close their airspace to commercial travel if they were expecting return fire.

Unfortunately it doesn’t work that way; by default though all national airspace in the world is ‘closed’ in that it’s sovereign territory. All foreign aircraft require prior permission to enter; this occurs in one of several ways, but for most intents and purposes, the ICAO treaty covers the prior permission requirements for commercial airline service through provisions in the scheduled air service process.

Top Bottom