Austin, Texas

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Deputy was FIRED earlier today:

Eddie Duran, the Okaloosa Sheriff's Office deputy who shot Senior Airman Roger Fortson on May 3, was terminated from the department on Friday, according to a sheriff's office statement obtained by ABC News.

What criminal charges he is tried for is for a grand jury to decide. But this guy should definitely lose his certifications and never be allowed to work in law enforcement again....

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    Or maybe use the peephole or don't open doors to unknown people...

"I didnt hear him" is a ridiculous excuse with the loudness evidenced on video and the proximity the subject was to the door at the time.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk
    How far was the victim from the door when the officer knocked? you act like everyone sits by the front door in a quiet apartment.

I still think the victims girlfriends testimony will be interesting.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    When he chose to hand a gun in hand, the result was predictable and justified.

You seem hung up on "threat"

Sec. 9.32. DEADLY FORCE IN DEFENSE OF PERSON. (a) A person is justified in using deadly force against another:
    If they would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.31; and
    when they reasonably believe the deadly force is immediately necessary to protect the actor against the other's use or attempted use of unlawful deadly force; (lightly edited for readability).

You seem to not understand the difference between deadly threat, and deadly force. Neither did Ex-Officer Duran.

Note NOWHERE in what you quoted does it say threat.

From OIS investigation:

The objective facts as discovered in this administrative investigation do not show Mr. Fortson made hostile, attacking movements, and therefore, the objective facts do not support the use of deadly force as an appropriate response to Mr. Fortson’s actions.

Gun in hand was not enough to justify deadly force.

I can EASILY articulate, for the subject opening the door with a gun in hand response to a Deputy that loudly announced who he was, that it is reasonable to believe it was immediately necessary to use deadly force.

If only you were available to testify on Ex-Officer Duran's behalf for his OIS he would still be on the force! Bummer for him. Maybe you can be there for his trial.

Last edited:

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    He may have gone to the wrong apartment, but it wasn’t because he or the dispatched fucked up.

I think Karen made it all up. Not a single thing she said is true.

she had heard scuffling during the argument.

• asked if she thought she was listening to a physical disturbance , and she said yes.

• said she believed there were two people in the apartment

• expressed she was concerned about the well being of the child she believed to be I asked if she had heard a child before. She said yes.

• asked what made her believe there had been a child She answered, “You can hear the, the laughing, and the, the little baby footsteps.” I clarified that she was sure a child had been in the apartment at times over the last six months, and that she was not mistaking the dog for a child. said, “For sure.” I again asked if that could have been the dog she heard, and she shook her head no.

• “But you can hear, because like mommy, that hear her crying sometimes. Mommy this, mommy that.”

• I asked if she was sure the argument she had heard was from her. She replied, “Yeah, for sure, hundred and twenty thousand percent.”

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Earlier in the thread there had been some discussion over whether the officer had gone to the correct apartment.

<>

’Earlier in the thread there had been some discussion over whether the officer had gone to the correct apartment.’’

Pray-tell, WHY would that matter, at all ?

Decedent was in his own home, minding his OWN BUSINESS, not disturbing anyone; he is now DEAD !

Decedent was never suspected of, accused of, or charged with ANYTHING. He is now dead !

I often answer the door gun in hand. I don’t threaten anyone, point gun at or near anyone, and am very, very polite.

Yes, if I KNEW it was LEO’s, I wouldn’t have gun in hand.

But, someone shouting ‘’Police’’ doesn’t equate to my KNOWING that they ARE Police !

leVieux

<>

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    <>

’Earlier in the thread there had been some discussion over whether the officer had gone to the correct apartment.’’

Pray-tell, WHY would that matter, at all ?

Decedent was in his own home, minding his OWN BUSINESS, not disturbing anyone; he is now DEAD !

Decedent was never suspected of, accused of, or charged with ANYTHING. He is now dead !

I often answer the door gun in hand. I don’t threaten anyone, point gun at or near anyone, and am very, very polite.

Yes, if I KNEW it was LEO’s, I wouldn’t have gun in hand.

But, someone shouting ‘’Police’’ doesn’t equate to my KNOWING that they ARE Police !

leVieux

<>
    It was just an observation from the article. More so just pointing it out for the people defending the officer ignoring all the red flags in the information he was given prior to going and shooting a guy who was supposedly beating up his chick despite actually being home alone.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    It was just an observation from the article. More so just pointing it out for the people defending the officer ignoring all the red flags in the information he was given prior to going and shooting a guy who was supposedly beating up his chick despite actually being home alone.
    It was also brought up in the OIS investigation. They also saw the pattern.

* He received second-hand information from the leasing agent about the current incident,

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    You seem to not understand the difference between deadly threat, and deadly force. Neither did Ex-Officer Duran.

Note NOWHERE in what you quoted does it say threat.

From OIS investigation:

The objective facts as discovered in this administrative investigation do not show Mr. Fortson made hostile, attacking movements, and therefore, the objective facts do not support the use of deadly force as an appropriate response to Mr. Fortson’s actions.

Gun in hand was not enough to justify deadly force.

If only you were available to testify on Ex-Officer Duran's behalf for his OIS he would still be on the force! Bummer for him. Maybe you can be there for his trial.
    Then we should expect to see charges, a conviction and the sentence upheld on appeal.

Still thinking he will be no-billed

Last edited:

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Awful lot of supposition in your argument but I respect your commitment to your position despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
    I do agree it possibly could have been avoided had the deputy been able to talk to the "witness"... who knows. I'm not saying it wasnt a terrible thing, its a awful at best, but once the deputy knocked and announced I dont know what else I would expect him to have done when the man opens the door with a gun in his hand.

It's not uncommon, its actually frequent, that the complaint doesn't give contact info.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Then we should expect to see charges, a conviction and the sentence upheld on appeal.

Still thinking he will be no-billed

It is entirely possible he could be no-billed and if so, that's ok...... From the beginning that is all I've wanted is a Grand Jury or jury to hear the case.......................

Razzamatazz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2022
    Middle of Texas
    Looking at the video of the officer going up in the elevator, the door opened at the 3rd floor. He did press 4, but it could be someone on the third was trying to go up and another elevator opened at the same time the officer got to the third floor.

He should have checked to see what floor exactly he was getting off on.

However, this would have to mean there was more than one apt. numbered 1401, since he was at the correct numbered door.

The young solider should have looked through the peep hole, to see who was at the door before opening it, especially if he is holding a handgun.

This happened to me once, when an LEO knocked at our door....so as usual I grabbed my handgun and went to the door. (I usually hold the firearm behind the door when talking to the person knocking) Looking through the peep hole, I see an LEO, so I put my hand and firearm in my pocket and opened the door.
    Apparently there were multiple 911 calls from our residents, so I called my wife and asked her if she knew anything, she said no. I asked the LEO if he wanted to see our phones recent calls, he said no, and will remove our residents from the call...huh? And then he apologized and left.
    I think the officer knew or had a hunch what I had in my pocket since my hand was in my pocket all the time...he kept looking down at my hand.
    Then I started to think...was this a real LEO? He did have a Police vehicle though parked on the side of our house.

The officer was quick to shoot, but again the LEO doesn't know what he will be encountering on the other side of the door, other than 80% something bad, so his defense is up.
    Then again, the young soldier did have his firearm pointed down, and his other hand palm opened as to say wait hold on there.

I have been in a simulated situation like this with a guy running at me and pulling out a cell phone and pointing it at me, well I did shoot him.
    Looking at the video of the training I could see I was too amped up and did not notice it was a phone. I wasn't the only one this happened to.
    Check out Atlas Defense...awesome training, but $$$

Too many things happening at the wrong time from the elevator to the young soldier opening the door, so I can understand both sides, it is a difficult call.
    So if there is any fault here, it would be the officer getting off on the wrong floor.

Top Bottom