• ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I just had a big bowl of chili the wife made today
    Made with 93% lean beef and half ground veinsion.
    She tossed in a can of Rotel and is was dang good fellas.

It had exactly no beans, mushrooms, chunks of bell peppers, boiled eggs, or any damn other crap some people toss in and think its okay

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I just had a big bowl of chili the wife made today
    Made with 93% lean beef and half ground veinsion.
    She tossed in a can of Rotel and is was dang good fellas.

It had exactly no beans, mushrooms, chunks of bell peppers, boiled eggs, or any damn other crap some people toss in and think its okay
    I hope it had a dash of chili powder.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    In Texas we usually call it Texas Red.

gfulton,

YEP.

Personally, I like GREEN CHILI, out of NM, too, as long as it's BLAZING HOT with good pepper.
    (Imo, Green or Red chili is "BLAH" w/o lots of pepper.)

yours, satx

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Mrs. Whistler has figured out how to eat my chili: she takes one (small) spoon of chili, adds a can of beans, a can of tomato sauce, a can of diced tomatoes and water. Says its still too hot but tolerable, silly woman. :roflfunny:

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I like to dice up hatch chili peppers in mine. Just used up the last of my frozen peppers. Wish I had known that back in the fall, they were on sale cheap everywhere. Tomatos are diced fine, but lots of em in there. Hate the box mixes, and only use spices in my cabinet to arrive at my mix. A new twist (since I found some) is smoked paprika. Its a nice flavor twist. But if it ain't got cumen, it aint chili. And I prefer a Shiner Bock for my beer in the chili. (it should have a beer in it too)

Looks tasty.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Chili can have whatever the hell you want in it, but if it gets too gamey it becomes Louisiana chili.
    :laughing: You might be a coonass if...

I've had a lot of odd meat in chili, including squirrel and possum. One year we had a string of really gamey deer. Everything got ground up and made into chili. Couldn't even tell it was gamey.

My favorite nontraditional meat in chili is chicken hearts. Not gamey at all; they're great!

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I may not be coonass, but sure as shit can’t argue with their culinary prowess. Some of the best food I’ve ever had I knew better than to ask what was in it.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Go to your neighborhood small bodega, buy a sandwich bag of dried red chili peppers for around $1. Grind to powder in a spice grinder - ta-da, chili powder. I dehydrate peppers I like when they're in season; Serranos, habaneros, etc. and grind them also for a little kick. Cumin seed fresh ground is much more flavorful. The meat is always chunks I've marinated rolled in flour and browned in suet (usually rendered brisket fat) or bacon grease (whatever you have, lard is fine). Add chili powder, onions and garlic (if you like) stir well. Slowly add beef base or plain water (chicken broth works if you like it) stirring continuously to make a roux. Add water (or beer) to desired thickness and spices like cumin, salt, pepper, cilantro, epazote, whatever. From there add chopped peppers, beans, tomatoes and other adulterants if you must and water as required.

Basic red chili, tweak to taste, hope that helps 'cuz it was a pain to type on a phone.

Top Bottom