• ...and so much more!
  • Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    Since I'm still a wannabe Texas resident (hopefully I'll get that fixed by spring), I call this chili. After it simmers a few hours, I'll add some black beans and simmer some more.

chili.jpg

I know that that I'm breaking a lot of Texan rules here but we like it. I understand that there has been wars started on whether beans goes in chili. Same goes for ground beef.

Once I get to Texas, I want to make some authentic Texan chili. I'm sure that there is one standard recipe that everyone uses, right?

Attachments

• chili.jpg
      chili.jpg
      96.4 KB · Views: 791

Rob945

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    North Texas
    The purists here will never use beans and many won't even allow tomatoes. I'm a born and raised Texan and my personal preference is that if I add beans, they should be pinto beans. That said, I appreciate all kinds of chili con carne. My preference for an accompaniment is cornbread, along with a cold beer.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    I'm a born and raised Texan and my personal preference is that if I add beans, they should be pinto beans. That said, I appreciate all kinds of chili con carne. My preference for an accompaniment is cornbread, along with a cold beer.
    Ditto on that.

That said, I do love a nice mess of pinto beans, cooked cowboy style. Or ranchero. There's a place in Fredericksburg that serves pinto beans and cornbread. Don't recall the name, but...yum.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    A good start is Wick Fowlers 2 Alarm. That is a good basic chili. I sub a can of Habanero Rotel for some of the water and if someone just has to have beans use Ranch Style, don't drain juice. Hot buttered (not that fake crap) cornbread covered in chili. Cold beer.

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    . . . There's a place in Fredericksburg that serves pinto beans and cornbread. Don't recall the name, but...yum.

Is that the place that brings out an ENORMOUS slab of cornbread with your beans or chili?

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    One if 28 million recipes: Cook the chili separately from the PINTO beans - but it's ok to add the 2 items together after they're cooked. I agree W. Fowler's 2 Alarm is a good start point. Don't use ground beef - use stew meat.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    You might call that chili somewhere else pal, but you might get your ass banned or beat calling that chili in Texas.

Meat & Sauce , no beans...anyone who puts beans in chili, don’t know beans about chili.
    Anything else you want to toss in there like those peppers, need be be ground up into the sauce.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Chasewhat0
    Top Bottom