• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    Since I'm still a wannabe Texas resident (hopefully I'll get that fixed by spring), I call this chili. After it simmers a few hours, I'll add some black beans and simmer some more.

View attachment 192359

I know that that I'm breaking a lot of Texan rules here but we like it. I understand that there has been wars started on whether beans goes in chili. Same goes for ground beef.

Once I get to Texas, I want to make some authentic Texan chili. I'm sure that there is one standard recipe that everyone uses, right?

To be clear, I’d eat a bowl of this chili right now if it were in front of me. Beans, no beans, tomatoes, no tomatoes, ect. It’s chili no matter what anyone thinks and I bet it’s damn good.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    OP sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that's not chili and best to not say that in Texas. What you have there is a stew.
    "Authentic" chili is suet (you can substitute a little bacon grease) beef and peppers, onion, garlic and cumin, water thats it.

Most Texans will forgive a few pinto beans but tomatoes are flirtin' with disaster. Beef should be roughly 1" cubes, chiles should be ground.

Not trying to start a war but you wouldn't call a veggie wrap a burrito and 'chili' isn't up for interpretation, it means one thing.

I'm sure most any Texan would share most of their recipe but the details tend to be kept to the family.

One thing about coming to Texas; embrace the culture and the state of mind else you'll always just be an outsider encroaching.
    There are 28 million Texans and 28 million recipes for authentic Texas Chili.

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    Probably eat brisket out of a crockpot too
    :grenade:

IMG_4812.jpg

Does that look like it came from a crockpot? Salt & pepper cooked with Mesquite - 19 hours cooked @ 250 deg.

Damn this is a tough crowd

Attachments

• IMG_4812.jpg
      IMG_4812.jpg
      95.1 KB · Views: 353

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    No beans
    That aint texas, thats mexico

crainntx,

Actually, that's DEPRESSION of the 1930s "pore folks" food. = Mexicans from "the other side of the river", whether you call it the Rio Grande or Rio Bravo, who can afford it, don't cook beans in their chili either.
    (The shredded meat, however, that's "traditional" in Texas RED Chili is Mexican for sure.)

REAL chili has NO beans or tomatoes cooked IN it. = I find it perfectly FINE to add some into the chili after it's cooked.
    (It's EASY to put it in at the table, for those folks who want it but REALLY DIFFICULT to take it out if you don't want it in your bowl. - Personally, our family usually serves an extra bowl to each "eater" for beans.)

Btw, I'm from Camp County up in Northeast Texas & we do NOT serve cornbread with TEXAS RED chili in our area.
    ("Scratch" cornbread is almost "required by law" with most any sort of BEANS, however. - NO "ersatz cornbread" from a mix/box is allowed at our house, either.)

Note: You don't "qualify" as a Northeast TX hillbilly unless you think that speckled butterbeans, crowder or purple-hull peas & hot/buttered cornbread, with or without boiled/roast/fried pork are WONDERFUL.
    (One of the "inside" jokes, "way up there", in the so-called ARKLATEX, is that we eat so many beans & peas that, "- - - if you stuck a knife in us that it would be bean & pea juice that runs out of the wound".)

TRUTH is that the "traditional food" of our part of TX is straight out of northern AL, GA, MS & southern TN as that's where most of "the old families" came here from in the 1820-1880 period.
    (My extended family started "trickling into" NETX from northern AL, GA & MS about 1825 & the rest came to TX shortly after TWBTS.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Hopkins county neighbor.
    Not a bad idea to add at the table, everyone has their 'adds' for chili anyway; tortilla chips, cheese, crackers, sour cream, lime... heck I've even seen people put it over rice.

I usually add a little hot sauce to mine, I like it spicy but that's all.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Hopkins county neighbor.
    Not a bad idea to add at the table, everyone has their 'adds' for chili anyway; tortilla chips, cheese, crackers, sour cream, lime... heck I've even seen people put it over rice.

Whistler,

HOWDY, Neighbor. = I'm from Pittsburg & raised in several NETX counties, including Camp, Franklin, Morris & Titus.
    (Truth is, I haven't been "home" for several years, as "the old folks" are ALL "Gone to Glory", now.)

I retired to San Antonio to be near USAMEDDAC, the FSH Commissary & PX, as well as to care for "the love of my life". = Sandra is now an invalid & has nobody else to take care of her needs, other than her 24/365 nurses.
    (I reside 15 minutes from her home, so that I can "go, if she/the nurse calls".)

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    So...what kind of oil should I use in my motorcycle transmission?
    Why do you think a Glock is preferred to a 1911?

BRD@66,

BACON GREASE in your M/C & in your stews, too. BACON is GOOD for everything, just as BUTTER is,

yours, satx

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    Hopkins county neighbor.

I like cheese and either crackers or Fritos with my chili. Cornbread goes with anything, so that works too. But I prefer to save my cornbread and slather it with butter and honey and eat it for dessert.

Beans or no beans - it’s still chili to me. But my folks grew up in the Depression and knew how to add things to make meat go further.

Now, putting pasta shells in chili - no way! We would call that goulash or maybe stew. But it ain’t chili.

Top Bottom