• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    See that's the problem with the country today. People cleaning up dog crap. When I was growing up in the 1750s, 1850s 1950s (pick two) there were no leash laws. Dogs crapped where dogs crapped and it was up to us to watch where we stepped. We learned the world isn't fair from all those doggy landmines. Today, kids expect the world to be fair and get upset when it isn't. Tough. No wonder Obama got elected. It is all because of this crap.

Yeah, how dare people keep their property from damaging others' property.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    The guy called in complaints weekly for a few years the way he talked. They told him to handle it. So he did.

So, the Police said it was legal to shoot a neighbors Dog, which was on a leash in the control of the neighbor, I find this very hard to believe.

GaryH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Cowtown
    The homeowner could have been a little nicer about it, but it's his property, and you and fido were in essence, tresspassing IMO. Those that suggested you escalate the confrontation aren't some that I want to see carrying a gun. That kind of lacking in self-control will get somebody killed or thrown in jail. You did the right thing.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I hope this isn't too far off the track but it seems to fit in the subject pretty well. Every one of my neighbors is armed and situations like this come up.

Our neighborhood just formed a Homeowners Association. In our rules, dogs must not be allowed to run loose and need to be in a fenced yard or on a "runner" cable. We advised our residents that our county has NO leash law and the Sheriff told us more than once that a homeowner can shoot a dog if it is on his property, if it is aggressive or doing damage. Our main complaints were that dogs were getting into trash and spreading it around. We haul our own trash here so everyone has trash bags ready to go to the dump- somewhere. I built a totally enclosed mesh trailer that I keep my trash bags in. Problem solved for me. We also get strays dumped into our neighborhood pretty regularly.

I ride Jake on a big (6 foot long) Schwinn tricycle in the neighborhood almost every day. A momma dog and two of her almost grown pups got out of the fenced yard and jumped Jake and I while we were riding down the street. I carry an "ASP" baton on each of my bikes so I dismounted the trike, whipped the baton out and clunked two of the dogs with it. They were VERY aggressive and I noted that most dogs are unusually aggressive this spring. Jake and I rode down to the highway and turned to make another run.

When I got to the far end of our road, one of my neighbors had a .40 Glock pointing it at the same three dogs who had just jumped and bitten an older female dog. He was yelling "Come on you MF's keep coming.......bring it on!" He had already fired two rounds to get them to let the older female loose while I was riding down the block. (Nobody hit. Can't say much for his marksmanship!) The three dogs turned and ran back towards their home.

Here's how it resolved:
    The shooter- no problems. What he did was within the law. He does NOT have a CHL but he was standing in his own yard when he drew on the attackers. We discussed the fact that he was responsible for any damage those bullets caused if things went south.

Owner of the 3 dogs.- Accepted that the Momma dog was too aggressive, had her "fixed" and if she still shows aggressiveness, she will be put down. The pups seemed to follow the Momma dog's lead. She fixed her fence. Her husband went down to apologize and check with all of the neighbors. They talked to me, too.

Liability- The owner of the three dogs admitted that ANYTHING those dogs did from injuries to damaged property was 100% her responsibility. Had the dogs hurt Jake or the other old Female dog, she had to make good on that. When you allow a allow a dog to run loose, it is a liability nightmare! You don't have to buy or own the dog to be responsible. If it's a stray and you feed it then you have control over it and are 100% responsible for what it does. (Per our Sheriff). As I said, the shooter also knew the two rounds he fired could have caused some damage that he would be responsible for.

Related:
    Last November, I was bitten by a dog and the owner sent me packing and bleeding down the road because he said he "didn't own the dog." I called the law and two Deputies went to his house and delivered a "Tuneup." The dog was in their house when the law arrived! If you feed the dog, you are fully responsible for it. If the dog runs loose, you are responsible for anything it harms.

Results- So far it's quiet, The Momma dog is recovering from being "fixed." We'll see how she behaves. The dog that bit me is occasionally running loose. I'll beat it until the fur flies if I need to. I will NOT shoot it.

That was a real learning experience!

Flash

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I'm requesting we bring the like button back, lol.
    please, no....

To the OP: I probably would have just smiled, waved, and went on my way. It's not worth my time to try to correct someone when they are emotionally spun-up. Besides, people getting mad over insignificant crap is funny

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    This whole discussion reminds me how much I hate neighborhoods, and cities, and being around people (present company excluded, of course)

I never lived in town until college. Now that I have, and have travelled a lot, I realize "civilization" is massively over rated (and not very civilized). Once I'm done and retired I'll probably move back out to a ranch somewhere in BFE, TX and never look back.

'Cause when you're on your own land in BFE issues like dogs peeing on your lawn, open carry, concealed carry, HOAs, and asking the government if its OK to pick your nose don't exist (in practical terms). You do what you want and no one bothers you.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Having had dogs, and almost always had them piss and shit in my back yard, I can tell you that female dogs will kill grass. Males not so much, but they tend to piss on standing objects like trees. If they continually piss on a small tree it could cause some harm to it.

Sorry. Let your dog piss in your yard not neighbors.

All that said, people walk their dogs every day, and they piss and shit in my front yard and I just let it go. I get pissed about it but just figure it's not worth the aggravation.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I guess we will remain a house divided on this one. I just wouldn't move into a neighborhood like mine if I were that particular about MY property or space. It just doesn't make sense to have those expectations when the house next door is eight feet away from yours. That's what the country is for.Obviously there's nothing left to "handle" here but it's been a hoot to hear the opinions/comments. Some good advice, some bad advice, and at least a few days worth of laughs, thanks TGT!

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    This whole discussion reminds me how much I hate neighborhoods, and cities, and being around people (present company excluded, of course)

I never lived in town until college. Now that I have, and have travelled a lot, I realize "civilization" is massively over rated (and not very civilized). Once I'm done and retired I'll probably move back out to a ranch somewhere in BFE, TX and never look back.

'Cause when you're on your own land in BFE issues like dogs peeing on your lawn, open carry, concealed carry, HOAs, and asking the government if its OK to pick your nose don't exist (in practical terms). You do what you want and no one bothers you.

I live on 85 acres and can't see any other houses from my house. So nice to not have to deal with neighbor BS. I lived in a subdivision once for about 6 years. HATED it

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    So I was out walking my dog tonight around the neighborhood when she squats to pee in someones lawn. She does her business and right as I start to move along I hear a couple of loud bangs coming from the upstairs window of the house. Shortly therefter, some guy yells " You better pick up your dogs shit off my lawn". Now, take in mind, I live in a very large neighborhood of well over 1000 homes. It is a very pet friendly development with at least a dog in every other backyard. They even go so far as to provide mess bags(for free) at several high traffic areas. Not to mention, I was carrying one at the time with my dogs crap already in it. So obviously, there was no dog crap for me to take off of his lawn and I certainly didn't appreciate his tone or language. I DID immediately respond with bag held up, "my dog didn't shit in your lawn..... thanks". But a part of me is still left fuming even though my point was communicated. I guess its because he decided to "get tough" from behind the second story screened window of his house. Maybe if he actually knew what was actually going on in his own front yard he might have kept his mouth shut. It amazes me how little respect people show each other now a days over the most trivial crap. Anyhow, just wanted to share and see how y'all might have approached this.

Ya know....I've been one of the most short tempered people I know for most of my life. Like when I am at the front of a line of cars at a red light in Houston, and the light turns green....and I can already here some old hag or asshole honking in the time it takes me to take my foot off the break and put it on the gas pedal....ooooohhhh that used to get me so mad.....or like people laying on their horns because I'm not moving fast enough for them....or this one.....you make a turn into an intersection that is backed up, and inadvertently (God Forbid a human being make an error...OHH NOO!), are still stuck in the middle of the intersection when the other side's light turns green....I mean, I feel bad enough as it is that I"m holding up traffic...but at that point, THERE'S NOTHING I CAN DO! But some A-hole or "unfriendly woman" (for lack of a better word), just HAS TO lay on his or her horn.....man I used to get infuriated over that, seriously....then I found a new way to handle it that not only keeps my blood pressure down, not only keeps me from being in a pissed mood for the next hour, but actually makes the other person feel and look like a total jackass....

Depending on the situation, I either:

1. Just give them this blank, emotionless, reactionless stare (that's when I'm wearing my sunglasses)
    2. Smile and wave at them (or laugh if they are not road raging, be careful with that though)
    3. Ignore the F out of them

These have all been suggested to me in the past, but I was a hard headed (and hotheaded) bastard. But I can attest to it, they work. Try that next time someone is a dick to you. It's much more satisfying in the end. And you can even have something to laugh about later.

Top Bottom