• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sb47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013
    I know I got off track with the helmet issue but please be a safe rider and wear some type of protection, at least a helmet.

96fordsix

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    conroe
    Wow! I have read every post in this tread tonight. Yes I ride, Yes I choose to wear a helmet (Shoei RF1100). As a side note when the state repealed the helmet law we started to sell more expensive helmets at work, go figure that out. I tell customers ATGATT (all the gear all the time), though not everyone will do it.

For those that say helmet, gloves, jacket, and boots don't forget eye protection

preyn2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Burnet
    It strikes me as very odd that many people wouldn't think of shooting without ear- and eye protection, yet think nothing of riding to the range on a motorcycle without a helmet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    It strikes me as very odd that many people wouldn't think of shooting without ear- and eye protection, yet think nothing of riding to the range on a motorcycle without a helmet.

Why?

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    No they are not designed to keep you in the car, that is and adjunct to the goal of keeping you from sliding forward into dash, steering wheel etc etc and to provide a support structure for all the airbags that can go off. Airbag does no good if you are slid forward and down under the steering wheel. They are designed to pin you into your seat!

I never wore seat belts until a few years ago. I retired and moved to Scottsdale Az ( yes I know, got NO IDEA why, never been there in my life). The drivers in Scottsdale convinced me that I should wear a seatbelt.

I let my good friend borrow my brand new (536 mi) Corvette convertible borrow my car to take some smilin Mona Lisa at a party for a ride. He was supposed to be back in 5 min. Instead the 5 min ride becomes some great trip to impress her. They head out on the highway to see how fast it will go. At some unknown speed (far in excess of 100 mph) he is passing a car on a long hill, it is lightly raining and he cuts in fast when headlights appear at the top of the hill. Corvette slides across road, hits ditch, flips up on its side, flying thru the air at an altitude of about 6 feet, hits and wraps itself around a HUGE tree. They do not have on seatbelts. They are EJECTED from the car along with the engine and slide down the ditch following the engine for about 75 yards. Engine is sitting upright.

Results: Engine require new oil pan and oil pump/pickup, fan and bell housing, it starts right up. They are slightly bruised, dirty, scratched up and clothes torn. They do NOT go to the hospital, they are up and walking around when I arrive. Car is wrapped around tree with rear bumper touching and just under the headlights. Wrecker cannot remove car from tree (grass too slick for the light rain), they call another town truck and they each hook on at the bumpers and pull, car breaks in half and lands on ground, 3rd wrecker is called to come load it on a flat bed. I bought it back from the in company and parted it out...all ended well I guess, no one hurt.

sb47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013

I agree, 100%.
    Why do some people take every precaution and wear protective gear doing everyday chores, but ignore the obvious and do just the opposite regarding something that is inherently much more dangerous. Makes no since to me.

sb47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013
    No they are not designed to keep you in the car, that is and adjunct to the goal of keeping you from sliding forward into dash, steering wheel etc etc and to provide a support structure for all the airbags that can go off. Airbag does no good if you are slid forward and down under the steering wheel. They are designed to pin you into your seat!

I never wore seat belts until a few years ago. I retired and moved to Scottsdale Az ( yes I know, got NO IDEA why, never been there in my life). The drivers in Scottsdale convinced me that I should wear a seatbelt.

I let my good friend borrow my brand new (536 mi) Corvette convertible borrow my car to take some smilin Mona Lisa at a party for a ride. He was supposed to be back in 5 min. Instead the 5 min ride becomes some great trip to impress her. They head out on the highway to see how fast it will go. At some unknown speed (far in excess of 100 mph) he is passing a car on a long hill, it is lightly raining and he cuts in fast when headlights appear at the top of the hill. Corvette slides across road, hits ditch, flips up on its side, flying thru the air at an altitude of about 6 feet, hits and wraps itself around a HUGE tree. They do not have on seatbelts. They are EJECTED from the car along with the engine and slide down the ditch following the engine for about 75 yards. Engine is sitting upright.

Results: Engine require new oil pan and oil pump/pickup, fan and bell housing, it starts right up. They are slightly bruised, dirty, scratched up and clothes torn. They do NOT go to the hospital, they are up and walking around when I arrive. Car is wrapped around tree with rear bumper touching and just under the headlights. Wrecker cannot remove car from tree (grass too slick for the light rain), they call another town truck and they each hook on at the bumpers and pull, car breaks in half and lands on ground, 3rd wrecker is called to come load it on a flat bed. I bought it back from the in company and parted it out...all ended well I guess, no one hurt.

Like I said earlier, nothing is a guaranty, circumstance is a big factor.
    If you got shot, would rather be wearing a t shirt or a bullet proof vest?
    Witch one would be more likely for your survival?

Sure people get killed everyday with wearing there seat belts, I don’t dispute that.
    By the same token people that don’t wear a seat belt are thrown clear and survive.
    As much as a hate statistics (or more the way there applied) there is proof that seatbelts save more lives then not.One must also take into account that some don’t wear there belt the proper way.

Same goes with motorcycles and helmets.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I agree, 100%.
    Why do some people take every precaution and wear protective gear doing everyday chores, but ignore the obvious and do just the opposite regarding something that is inherently much more dangerous. Makes no since to me.

Ever done a risk assessment worksheet.

There are steps for the risk that something will happen and severity of damage if it does.

Shooting regularly with no hearing protection will guarantee hearing damage. No question about it.

Riding a bike with no helmet does not guarantee a head injury.

By your logic we should go to the range wearing plate carriers with plates installed. Why do you wear a helmet on a bike but go to the range with your vital organs completely unprotected?

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Like I said earlier, nothing is a guaranty, circumstance is a big factor.
    If you got shot, would rather be wearing a t shirt or a bullet proof vest?
    Witch one would be more likely for your survival?

Sure people get killed everyday with wearing there seat belts, I don’t dispute that.
    By the same token people that don’t wear a seat belt are thrown clear and survive.
    As much as a hate statistics (or more the way there applied) there is proof that seatbelts save more lives then not.One must also take into account that some don’t wear there belt the proper way.

Same goes with motorcycles and helmets.
    I was just taking note of an exception. Certainly seatbelts and and do in fact save lives, so does wearing a helmet or walking around in a suit of armor. Had the ditch been deeper and not shallow, had it not been raining to create low friction, had not the Corvette hit the tree belly first and popped them out, had they been wearing seatbelts I am sure the outcome would have been much different. My dad took 9, count'um, nine, 9mm to the gut (7) and 2 to leg which shortened it by nearly 3/4 of an inch. Dad was pronounced DOA and were it not for a Doc who knew ole Charlie and stopped down in the morgue to pay his last respects and noticed a slight pluse...Dad lived another 20 years and died and still had a bullet in him.

Good friend of mine, took a .22 between the eyes at point blank. He went to a doc about a week later as the headache had not gone away and it was discovered he still had the bullet embedded in the bridge of his nose...(he did not know it got shot).

Bottom line is the only exception to the rule is that all rules have exceptions all the time. Now it comes to your belief system. MY belief is that someday the Grim Reaper will appear and I will become a part of his harvest. If you believe you and only you are the master of your destiny then I suggest you take max actions to control your downside exposure to life impacting events.

All this has to be balanced with your individual perspective on who you are and how you see the world. We have many Americans that are content to be the slaves of Govt, give up all their rights for cradle to grave benefits. They will live in the squalor of public housing, eat the fruits of food stamps and stand in line all day to see a Doc who takes Medicaid, but then if you don't work, then why not stand in line. They have given up their rights to live a life as nothing but a parasite. They not only do not care about 4 Americans dead in Benghazi but have no friggin idea or in most cases have never heard of it. They are not bothered by 4 dead Americans, not bothered or concerned by the massacre at Waco or Ruby Ridge. They support what ever big govt says because they are hooked on free, but not freedom. Sucking the teat of the govt is fine by them and they dare not disagree lest the their teat run dry. They are do as they are told by 'them' the faceless and unaccountable govt not matter what the govt tells them to do.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

I wouldn't think of riding to the range without a helmet, gloves, boots and jacket at the least, just like I won't shoot without the right gear. I think it's stupid to engage in either activity without the right gear.

However, there isn't a solid moral argument to use the law to force people to use PPE in either case.

Top Bottom