• ...and so much more!
  • Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    That is prolly a good idea if no control.

I am sure that most of the statistics are from kids that get on bike that have way too much HP for them to handle. They are not even legal to sell them in the country that makes them.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Some good info:

1) Popularity of high-performance motorcycles helps push rider deaths to near-record high
    "Supersport motorcycles are indeed nimble and quick, but they also can be deadly," says Anne McCartt, Institute senior vice president for research. "These bikes made up less than 10 percent of registered motorcycles in 2005 but accounted for over 25 percent of rider deaths. Their insurance losses were elevated, too."Motorcyclist fatalities have more than doubled in 10 years and reached 4,810 in 2006, accounting for 11 percent of total highway fatalities, preliminary counts from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration indicate.
    In an Institute analysis of deaths per 10,000 registered motorcycles, supersport drivers had a death rate of 22.6 in 2000 and 22.5 in 2005. Sport and unclad sport bikes, which are similar to supersports, had the next highest death rates at 10.8 for 2000 and 10.7 for 2005. Death rates for other types of motorcycles were much lower. Cruisers and standard motorcycles had a combined death rate of 5.6 in 2000 and 5.7 in 2005. The death rate for touring motorcycles was 5.3 in 2000, rising to 6.5 in 2005. Overall motorcycle driver deaths rose 59 percent between 2000 and 2005, and the overall death rate climbed to 7.5 driver deaths per 10,000 registered motorcycles from 7.1."

IIHS news release

2) Table 3.

Average Hospital Charges per Case
    by Helmet Status and Place of Treatment

Table 4.
    Average Hospital Charges per Case by Head Injury Status

7. Conclusions
    "Most of the studies reviewed in the course of this project examined the impact of safety helmets or helmet laws on motorcycle injuries. These studies consistently found that helmet use reduced the fatality rate, the probability and severity of head injuries, the cost of medical treatment, the length of hospital stay, the necessity for special medical treatments (including ventilation, intubation, and follow-up care), and the probability of long-term disability. This work reinforces similar conclusions from earlier studies.

A number of the reviewed studies examined the question of who pays for medical costs. Only slightly more than half of motorcycle crash victims have private health insurance coverage. For patients without private insurance, a majority of medical costs are paid by the government. Some crash patients are covered directly through Medicaid or another government program. Others, who are listed by the hospital as “self-pay” status, might eventually become indigent and qualify for Medicaid when their costs reach a certain level.
    While the literature has widely explored acute medical costs, research is sparse in the areas of long-term medical and work-loss costs. For victims of serious head injury, acute hospital care might be only the first stage of a long and costly treatment program. For many crash victims, lost wages from missed work days will outweigh medical costs. And for victims who are permanently disabled, their earnings might be reduced for the rest of their lives. More research is needed on these subjects to provide a more comprehensive pictu re of the full cost of motorcycle crash injuries."

http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/pedbimot/motorcycle/Motorcycle_HTML/overview.html

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I will ad that 9 out of ten times I see a motorcyclist driving like a mad man, they are on a sport bike.
    And out of the next 50 people you drive past in a car I'll bet you see 40 of them playing with a cell phone, radio, or some other item in their car and not paying attention to the road around them. Every group of riders and drivers have those that push those limits on a regular basis and its certainly not exclusive to one type of vehicle.

It also helps that those Harley riders can't ride like a mad man...poor fellas couldn't keep up... :)

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    No doubt.. They need to take that shit to a track if they want to drive like that. IMO

I recall a few range days where a certain Jaguar, silver Chevy, and red Tundra did their fair share of aggressive freeway driving. I'm not advocating 100 mph filtering on a busy highway, but we all twist the throttle or lay the pedal down from time to time.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    And out of the next 50 people you drive past in a car I'll bet you see 40 of them playing with a cell phone, radio, or some other item in their car and not paying attention to the road around them. Every group of riders and drivers have those that push those limits on a regular basis and its certainly not exclusive to one type of vehicle.

It also helps that those Harley riders can't ride like a mad man...poor fellas couldn't keep up... :)
    True, most people are more concerned about doing other thing than driving while driving. I'm not singling out a group because of the vehicle just stating what is common. I've had several sport bikes 98' ninja 250, 01 cbr 600, 04 zx636 and a 04 gsxr 750. I also never went over 100 mph on a crowded highway and used other vehicles as a slalom. Now that I'm married I don't have a sportbike because they suck for two up. I need a cruiser even though they are boring IMO.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    This is the same issue we get with riding bicycles. I have been a life-long bicycle rider and the move to require one of those styrofoam helmets pisses me off. I was going to ride with a group in Houston and was told that I couldn't ride without a "Helmet." I passed and went home.

I wear a wide brim hat when I ride and need to keep that Texas sun off of me MUCH more that worrying about a bike wreck. I MAY wreck. I WILL get roasted by the sun. It's an easy choice for me. I rode 3,414 miles on bicycles in 2011.

At a bike shop, I tangled with an overeager sales person over those "Helmets". I said that being a motorcycle rider, I KNEW what a REAL helmet was like. I told him the box the damned bicycle lid came in was about as effective as the helmet!

On a bicycle helmet, there is absolutely no protection for the back of your skull PLUS, it won't keep the sun off of you. Then comes the kicker. They sell these little pieces of foam for $50-$100! What a ripoff!

I bought a "Bell" bicycle helmet in case I ever changed my mind about riding with a group. It was about $25 and it's still in the box on top of my bookshelf. There are five motorcycle helmets sitting up there, too. I use the HJC FG3 when I ride the scooter.

That's my "take" on it. Party on!

Flash

Your post reminds me strongly of one of my favorite Hunter S. Thompson quotes:

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'"

This thread has been a real eye opener for me. My life has been so different than most of you and my attitude is, too. I don't understand how you think. I don't have a clue what the Hell you do with your lives. It's probably best that I stay in my end of Texas and not mingle with you guys because we would not understand each other at all.

I'm 66 and have absolutely no intention of drawing my last breath while there are still some miles left in this old body. When I croak, there won't be much left to cremate! Completely ignoring the first 1/2 of my life with street violence, alcohol and chemicals, the second 1/2 has been pretty eventful..............

Here's a taste:
    Judo, Karate, Boxing, wrestling, motorcycle hill climbing, moto, trials, touring the western us by bike, dirt biking the desert, Master SCUBA Diver, Divemaster, dove the Tongue of the Ocean and Santa Rosa Wall, saved a life, traveled all over the US, changed careers a bunch of times, life long bicycle rider, raced bicycles in Kansas City, earned a Masters Degree, worked in a prison, Jeeping, Jet skiing, water skiing, fast boats (200 horse Black Max....), High power rifle competition, Pistol competition, 30 motorcycles, and had a PILE of women.

The latest? I always wondered about music. I bought a violin, Fender acoustic guitar, several harmonicas and some self instruction books for each. So far, I've learned a Hell of a lot. I may never be a rock star but I'll end up knowing something about music! I'm learning to read music, too. If I tire of that or it isn't as interesting as I thought, I'll give the instruments to the neighborhood kids and move on to the next challenge! You never know until you try.

What the Hell are you saving yourselves for? Get out there and live! Take a risk. Take TEN risks! NO ONE gets outta this place alive even if you hide in a corner and never move!

Flash

Hell yeah! I hear violin takes a really keen ear to be any good at. Kind of like trombone.

Trombone might be worth looking into...

I will ad that 9 out of ten times I see a motorcyclist driving like a mad man, they are on a sport bike.

I saw a guy just today on a Harley VROD and thought "idiot, that's too much bike for you." He was wearing Harley goggles and a long sleeve Harley shirt in a color that I'll always think of as hunter orange. The bright shirt was the first sign (in my mind) that he didn't know entirely what he was doing. It's not that the cagers don't see you, it's that they don't care. When I rode in the SF Bay Area, I averaged one person trying to kill me a day and about one of those every week was intentional. Cagers suck.

Yes, cagers are horrible drivers. All of you. You can just tell when you're in a car with someone else that's spent quality time on a bike.

The second thing was he was at a 3 way stop. When he tried to go, his bike was in neutral. OK, it happens sometimes - you don't quite get down to first. It's how he reacted that told me he had waaaayyyyy too much bike. He realized he was revving and not moving, closed the throttle and pulled in the brake (so far so good) then looked down and shifted into first. Someone that knew WTF he was doing would have pulled in the clutch and kicked the shifter in half the time this guy took, all without looking down. Closing throttle optional.

He also accelerated away like a little pansy. People who are scared of the throttle on their bike probably shouldn't be on one. Big threat is from the rear and side, not the front.

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    Your post reminds me strongly of one of my favorite Hunter S. Thompson quotes:

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'"

Hell yeah! I hear violin takes a really keen ear to be any good at. Kind of like trombone.

Trombone might be worth looking into...

I saw a guy just today on a Harley VROD and thought "idiot, that's too much bike for you." He was wearing Harley goggles and a long sleeve Harley shirt in a color that I'll always think of as hunter orange. The bright shirt was the first sign (in my mind) that he didn't know entirely what he was doing. It's not that the cagers don't see you, it's that they don't care. When I rode in the SF Bay Area, I averaged one person trying to kill me a day and about one of those every week was intentional. Cagers suck.

Yes, cagers are horrible drivers. All of you. You can just tell when you're in a car with someone else that's spent quality time on a bike.

The second thing was he was at a 3 way stop. When he tried to go, his bike was in neutral. OK, it happens sometimes - you don't quite get down to first. It's how he reacted that told me he had waaaayyyyy too much bike. He realized he was revving and not moving, closed the throttle and pulled in the brake (so far so good) then looked down and shifted into first. Someone that knew WTF he was doing would have pulled in the clutch and kicked the shifter in half the time this guy took, all without looking down. Closing throttle optional.

He also accelerated away like a little pansy. People who are scared of the throttle on their bike probably shouldn't be on one. Big threat is from the rear and side, not the front.

I will second that^^^^^^

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    [/B][/SIZE]
    I will second that^^^^^^

For everybody I know that's been hit by someone pulling out in front of them, I've known three or four who've been hit from behind at a stop sign or red light.

A few riders I've spoken to agree that there's a reason cops on motorcycles tend to ride about 5 miles an hour faster than traffic... which is exactly what my habit is on a bike.

Not a "cager" been riding dirt since I was 5 and street since 14. Never the less good post.

If you ride or have, you're not a cager.

sb47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013
    I have been riding for 40 years, both on street, duel sport, motocross, and quad cross.
    Why in the world would anyone not wear a helmet?
    I wear every piece of safety equipment I can put on, even when its 100 plus degrees.
    I’ve seen people hurt, maimed, and even killed both with safety gear and without.
    Safety gear is no guaranty but it sure increases your chances of walking away or being placed in a body bag.

Head, neck and back injuries are the most common and the most devastating.
    Most broken collar bones are caused from the helmet because the neck is over extended so I wear a Leeatte brace to restrict neck movement during a crash. They work like a Hans device in Nascar.

I see kids riding at over 100+mph with nothing but short pants and flip flops, and that’s just crazy. I think if you have a crash and you don’t have adequate safety gear on, then your insurance should deny your clam for your injuries regardless what the law sais.

Go ahead and ride like a dummy because there are so many people waiting on the organ donor list someone needs your organs.

27xjd46.jpg

I would never do this with out all the protection in can get.

Or this
    v8j2u0.jpg

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston

Thank you, Sage. Clearly, someone DOES understand! I appreciate that.

I've had this fantasy all of my life. My dead body laying on an autopsy table with a Med Examiner doing the autopsy. He turns to his co-workers and says "Jesus guys, come over and look at this!" I have broken or screwed up every piece of my body at least once! I broke my nose 4 times and broke the same knuckles and ribs repeatedly. Skull fractured, broken right hand, left wrist, both sides of my collar bone...............the list goes on. When I breathe my last, there will be very little left!

This evening, I'll leave you with this story..............
    A very old woman, a friend of a friend, who has long since passed away said :
    "It's not the things I did that I regret. It's the things that I DIDN'T do."
    I never forgot that and lived my life to ensure that those regrets would me minimal.

I'm working my "bucket list" right now. The only thing that I've always wanted to do but have accepted that I will never accomplish is diving the sunken Japanese fleet off Truk Island. The cost is simply prohibitive. Thankfully, the rest of my bucket list is short and very do-able.

Flash

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I have been riding for 40 years, both on street, duel sport, motocross, and quad cross.
    Why in the world would anyone not wear a helmet?
    I wear every piece of safety equipment I can put on, even when its 100 plus degrees.
    I’ve seen people hurt, maimed, and even killed both with safety gear and without.
    Safety gear is no guaranty but it sure increases your chances of walking away or being placed in a body bag.

Head, neck and back injuries are the most common and the most devastating.
    Most broken collar bones are caused from the helmet because the neck is over extended so I wear a Leeatte brace to restrict neck movement during a crash. They work like a Hans device in Nascar.

I see kids riding at over 100+mph with nothing but short pants and flip flops, and that’s just crazy. I think if you have a crash and you don’t have adequate safety gear on, then your insurance should deny your clam for your injuries regardless what the law sais.

Go ahead and ride like a dummy because there are so many people waiting on the organ donor list someone needs your organs.

27xjd46.jpg

I would never do this with out all the protection in can get.

Or this
    v8j2u0.jpg

Insurance companies can easily write such disclaimers in to their policies. Some do have such clauses for various activities.

The question however, is do you think everyone should be forced to go by your standard of safety or do we let them have the freedom to choose for themselves.

An explanation for why you feel that way would also be helpful.

sb47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013
    Insurance companies can easily write such disclaimers in to their policies. Some do have such clauses for various activities.

The question however, is do you think everyone should be forced to go by your standard of safety or do we let them have the freedom to choose for themselves.

An explanation for why you feel that way would also be helpful.

Cars have seat belts, air bags, crumple zones and many other safety features mandated by the government’s standards. All in an effort to save lives and protect from injuries.
    But yet when it comes to motorcycles, all this seems to fly out the window.
    My level of safety gear is my own preference but it should at least be DOD tested and there standard of approval, not mine.
    You don’t need top of the line gear to ride, but flying down the interstate with flip flops no shirt and short pants is contradictory to the standard that automobiles are held to.

Falling off at highway speeds with no protection is the equivalent to throwing yourself into a meat grinder.
    Would you let me have you lie down on the pavement and drag you down the road with no protection?

If your forced to wear a seat belt in a car that offers much more protection then a motorcycle, why the double standard?

Basic things like helmets, long pants, boots or something better then flip flops, gloves just makes since.

But we need organ donors, so ride however you want.
    My brother was given a kidney from a 16 year old girl that was riding with her boyfriend without wearing any protection.
    The boyfriend had riding gear on and she didn’t, he had an extra helmet strapped on the luggage rack but failed to make her put it on her head.
    If he was so concerned with his own safety, then why not hers?

As in many states it’s not mandatory but it should be.

Some laws just don’t make any since what so ever.

In competition riding it is mandatory to wear safety gear, why? Because it saves lives.

Dennis
    As a side note, most young people that have never had a bad crash and experienced the affects, have no clue.
    There young and dumb and feel it could never happen to them.
    They have no clue as to how hard and violant a crash can be, even at low speeds.

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    AmyG
    Top Bottom