• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    For beef, or even pork, a good option to beat paying high meat prices is to raise your own, and then have it butchered and processed. If that is too much meat, go in partners with someone and split the cost and the meat.

This is only a good option if you have the place or know someone with the space for raising a cow or pig for butchering.
    My Mom and Dad raised a calf to be butchered for the meat. Nope Mom named it, they eventually sold it then bought meat. They couldn't eat their pet.
    Capitol Armory ad

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    For beef, or even pork, a good option to beat paying high meat prices is to raise your own, and then have it butchered and processed. If that is too much meat, go in partners with someone and split the cost and the meat.

This is only a good option if you have the place or know someone with the space for raising a cow or pig for butchering.
    "...too much meat..."
    Heh.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    "...too much meat..."
    Heh.
    I said "too much meat". I didn't say too much bacon!

The last one my brother had butchered and processed, yielded almost 400 lbs. of meat, and trust me, that's a lot of meat. Then also account for freezer space to store the meat.

When I build our new mud/laundry room off the garage, I plan on getting an upright freezer to go in there for meat storage.

TX oddball

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    DFW
    All I know is wife and I split a steak these days. :banghead:

We do also, but not because of the economics of beef. In our older age, we simply cannot eat huge steaks anymore. When I was young, I could eat a 16 oz steak, but now my wife and will split the same size steak. An 8 oz filet, baked potato, a side salad, and a couple of glasses of wine is all about I can handle nowadays, it easily makes me full.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    We do also, but not because of the economics of beef. In our older age, we simply cannot eat huge steaks anymore. When I was young, I could eat a 16 oz steak, but now my wife and will split the same size steak. An 8 oz filet, baked potato, a side salad, and a couple of glasses of wine is all about I can handle nowadays, it easily makes me full.
    Full? Hell, I'm stuffed to the gills and totally useless for doing anything afterwards!

TX oddball

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    DFW
    Full? Hell, I'm stuffed to the gills and totally useless for doing anything afterwards!

My nephew in his late 20s can devour a 2" thick, 1.5lb ribeye with all of the sides, and a dessert course, and feels "pretty good" afterwards. And he's a trim fit person, not a huge guy. Blows my mind...

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    My nephew in his late 20s can devour a 2" thick, 1.5lb ribeye with all of the sides, and a dessert course, and feels "pretty good" afterwards. And he's a trim fit person, not a huge guy. Blows my mind...
    I could easily do that back in the day. And did not even gain weight.

Now is a much different story...

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019

I could easily do that back in the day. And did not even gain weight.

Now is a much different story...
    In my late teens, up until about my mid 30's I could eat like that, and still sometime thought I needed more. I didn't really start putting on weight until about my late 30's or so.

GasGuzzler

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    Cooke County, TX
    Almost every product has fallen to this tactic. Look at price per ounce on everything at the store. Many times the LARGER package has a HIGHER price per ounce because people ASSume buying in bulk saves. A grocery store might have four box sizes of regular Cheerios and 9 times out of ten the smallest has the best per ounce price. It all eventually adds up.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Almost every product has fallen to this tactic. Look at price per ounce on everything at the store. Many times the LARGER package has a HIGHER price per ounce because people ASSume buying in bulk saves. A grocery store might have four box sizes of regular Cheerios and 9 times out of ten the smallest has the best per ounce price. It all eventually adds up.
    ^^^^This^^^^^

the cost per ounce or unit price will almost always tell you which is the best deal.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Remember when chicken wings were cheap because no one wanted them, because they lacked meat? Wing places now sell the damn things for $1 or more each...

Back in the 90s when I lived in Spring, there was a sports bar at 1960 & Kuykendahl. They use to have .10cent wings & $2 pitcher's of beer. I used to go there with a buddy & kill 30 wings & 2 pitchers for under $10 between the 2 of us.

HKSig

Let's Go Brandon!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Spring
    Check the Shop Texas Farms group on Facebook; there are many ranchers you can buy directly from. Some include the processing, some don't.

Aaand, I was talking about meat prices with someone recently; she has a brother who's a rancher. He told her that the processing fees have tripled. She said that he told her it was due to labor costs.

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    It‘s insulting, really. They must think we are a bunch of idiots. I would much rather them raise the price to whatever it needs to be than to try and sneak more profits by decontenting. That there tells me they aren’t proud of the price hikes if they are hiding them in this manner
    To be fair, a lot of people do not pay attention to the size/weight of the products. My 2d wife used to complain about me doing it (as it took took "too much time") but she started paying attention when I would buy more groceries for the same price if not less.\

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    My Mom and Dad raised a calf to be butchered for the meat. Nope Mom named it, they eventually sold it then bought meat. They couldn't eat their pet.
    Hah! Yeah I suggested the same. Pop raises Brangus at the farm (I guess technically ranch?). For what he get for auction, I think it would be a lot cheaper to pull one out and have it butchered then divide the meat up amongst the family. He won’t do it for that very reason.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Back in the 90s when I lived in Spring, there was a sports bar at 1960 & Kuykendahl. They use to have .10cent wings & $2 pitcher's of beer. I used to go there with a buddy & kill 30 wings & 2 pitchers for under $10 between the 2 of us.
    That the one that had karaoke? We used to go there in the early 90s? That area was our stomping grounds!

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Tough cut of meat that nobody wanted so it sold cheap. Then everyone learned how to smoke a brisket so they jacked the price.
    Dad was telling me a while back that Fajita meat (not sure what cut that is. Skirt?) was bottom of the barrel when he was growing up in the 40s and 50s. That, and Velveeta. I don’t know when TexMex became popular since we rarely ate out when I was a kid, but the popularity of TexMex seems to have made what was once cheap food more popular

Last edited:

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    The staples of good southern comfort food have been hijacked.
    Sold to the highest bidder.
    I remember going in Turnehill's BBQ back when.
    No line, plenty of open tables, food that put today's to shame. Tap beer in a goblet that made slush it was so cold.
    By today's standards, it should bring 40 bucks a plate.

I ain't smoked a brisket in a long time.
    I remember when we'd get a brisket ground up for hamburger meat.
    No sense in grinding.......
    I think I'll shut up.

Top Bottom