• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Tough cut of meat that nobody wanted so it sold cheap. Then everyone learned how to smoke a brisket so they jacked the price.
    Also add in the celebrity chefs and cooks on the TV programs that started smoking briskets and they got popular, and then more expensive because people started buying more of them.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    w
    All I know is wife and I split a steak these days. :banghead:
    We buy our steaks at a small local grocery store that still has meat cutting department. They will cut meat to order and they carry a much better cut of meat than most of the bigger grocery stores in town. I can stretch a large steak into two meals! Still comes out cheaper than eating steak out at a restaurant.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    w

We buy our steaks at a small local grocery store that still has meat cutting department. They will cut meat to order and they carry a much better cut of meat than most of the bigger grocery stores in town. I can stretch a large steak into two meals! Still comes out cheaper than eating steak out at a restaurant.
    Our local grocery store has excellent beef, far better taste than the chains. And you are right, you get a much better steak hot off the grill far cheaper than eating out.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Our local grocery store has excellent beef, far better taste than the chains. And you are right, you get a much better steak hot off the grill far cheaper than eating out.
    The wife and I can eat steak and baked potato at home for about half of what the same meal at a restaurant would costs us. Plus, I know the steak will be cooked exactly how I like a steak cooked. And even adding in a six pack of beer it still comes out cheaper in the long run.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I'll bet @baboon could write a book on the popularity of certain cuts of meat and their rise in prices over the years.
    Marked down meat is one of the best values these days. I had a whole slew of people that was all they ever bought.

Now nothing is really cheap. I remember making the best beef jerky out of flank steaks when they were cheap. Chuck eye steaks( where the rib meets the chuck) were decent when you could get them.

Beef blade steaks are decent, but someone cut them differently & changed the name to Flat Iron Steak. The blade makes a better roast or chicken fried steak IMHO.

Beef cheeks need little work to make good grilling meat, but are stupidly over priced. Same goes with short ribs, back ribs, ox tails, briskets, flanks & skirts.

A chef needs to buy cheap & make it great, to stay in business. Thad why the cheap cuts are forever gone.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    For beef, or even pork, a good option to beat paying high meat prices is to raise your own, and then have it butchered and processed. If that is too much meat, go in partners with someone and split the cost and the meat.

This is only a good option if you have the place or know someone with the space for raising a cow or pig for butchering.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Look meat is meat. Only so many packing houses processing meat. The grade of meat matter really only in a grilling steak. Paying prime price for a brisket defeats what a good brisket is all about. Knowing how to properly smoke a brisket is whole point of what was traditional a cheap cut.

I remember many years ago teaching a buddy how to merchandise a white tail. I not only showed him how to cut it up, but showed his wife how to cook it. His kids wouldn’t eat much venison until I was cooking what I was cutting.

Top Bottom