• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I see a few CHL instructors already throwing a bit of a hissy fit over Constitutional Carry. I understand they are a small business and will lose out. But in the same thought process, why should someone need to be trained by a CHL instructor on the safe usage and laws of carrying a firearm?
    Shouldn't a father be passing that along to his children? I know I did to my boys early on. My father did to me. It's just a natural thing to do. If I had daughters, I would have done the same.

While I, a CHL Instructor, support the elimination of laws restricting the carry of arms, what about people raised by an non-married woman? How about Dad's raised by people who have no idea about guns. As an Instructor, I have taught many parents who brought in their kids. And how many dads know laws?

I see opportunity for more students if laws are made less restrictive.
    Guns International

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    Sometimes bills are put in as feelers.

Other times they are put in to encourage votes on watered down versions.

Yet other times they are put in by people who don't know what they are doing and trying to bite off more than they can chew.

I tend to think it is #2 in this case.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    CHL classes are a hoop to jump through. Not saying TXI or other instructors dont genuinely try to teach safe firearms handling and knowledge of the laws but CHL classes aren't the same as a dedicated class or one on one instruction in the safe use of firearms.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    While I, a CHL Instructor, support the elimination of laws restricting the carry of arms, what about people raised by an non-married woman? How about Dad's raised by people who have no idea about guns. As an Instructor, I have taught many parents who brought in their kids. And how many dads know laws?

I see opportunity for more students if laws are made less restrictive.
    Fair point, well made - as usual. I'm a relative newbie to gun shooting. The last place I would like to be in the world is shooting someone - The second last place I would like to be is faced with a situation where I had no choice. I'd prefer my wife and children are proficient enough to deal with that situation.

OFFascist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Portland, TX
    https://twitter.com/RepStickland/status/531880007879380992

Apparently there is some controversy around this guy. We'll see how far this gets. Might need to be co-sponsored by a more senior GOP rep.

Mainline GOP fought against him pretty hard. He is a "Tea Partier" but apparently has flip flopped on some issues.

Anyone from this guy's district? Any input on him?

I'm not from his district and I don't know him personally but from what I've read he seems like a pro-liberty guy. He helped create a law that requires Texas police to get a warrant before they start spying on someone's email.

Texas becomes first state to require warrant for e-mail snooping | Ars Technica

He also tried to get a knife preemption law passed so municipalities could not have their own stricter ordinances enforced (he is planning on trying again this session) and he is also against red light cameras.

https://www.facebook.com/votejs

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I'm not from his district and I don't know him personally but from what I've read he seems like a pro-liberty guy. He helped create a law that requires Texas police to get a warrant before they start spying on someone's email.

Texas becomes first state to require warrant for e-mail snooping | Ars Technica

He also tried to get a knife preemption law passed so municipalities could not have their own stricter ordinances enforced (he is planning on trying again this session) and he is also against red light cameras.

https://www.facebook.com/votejs

Good to hear, I was reading where he flip flopped on some social issues. I see he's extremely pro-life which is good.

See how far this bill goes, if it is modified or replaced by another. Has to get out of committee first I believe.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    What a lot of my customers, for that matter a good portion of the population, think they know about the law is what they see on TV. They think you have to have permits, registration and it takes days if not weeks to take it home. That the only time you can use a gun is if your attacker has one too AND points it at you or shoots first. Others think you can shoot any tresspasser.
    As much as really hate to say it, most people really need the class. No matter how boreing we think it is. Or how smart thier dad was. Even a lot of people over 50 have no clue what it really is. There was only about 15 people in my class and judging by the questions asked, at least half of them really needed the class.

from an idgit coffeeholic

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    I see a few CHL instructors already throwing a bit of a hissy fit over Constitutional Carry. I understand they are a small business and will lose out. But in the same thought process, why should someone need to be trained by a CHL instructor on the safe usage and laws of carrying a firearm?
    Shouldn't a father be passing that along to his children? I know I did to my boys early on. My father did to me. It's just a natural thing to do. If I had daughters, I would have done the same.
    Because no one ever came from a family that didn't shoot or were against guns right? Of from a family that were full of idiots that just had horrible gun safety issues. Then of course there is the remarkable ignorance to the legal issues involved.....

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Sometimes bills are put in as feelers.

Other times they are put in to encourage votes on watered down versions.

Yet other times they are put in by people who don't know what they are doing and trying to bite off more than they can chew.

I tend to think it is #2 in this case.

I'd bet on #3 but YMMV

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    While you and I would do the same thing, IMO it is unresonable to assume that would occur in all families. And what about the person that wants to CC but didn't grow up in a gun friendly family?

Edited to add: Posted this before I saw other responses that said basically the same thing.

Last edited:

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    CHL should allow a way to "CLEP" out by taking a quick written exam and a basic shooting test. This shouldn't take more than a few minutes or maybe an hour and it should be a bit less expensive too.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    CHL should allow a way to "CLEP" out by taking a quick written exam and a basic shooting test. This shouldn't take more than a few minutes or maybe an hour and it should be a bit less expensive too.

No test of any kind. Many states do it, they do not have any problems.

locke_n_load

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I stupidly posted my thread in the politics section instead of gun legislation, but here it is:

I've seen two (EDIT: 3) OC Bills so far:

HB 106 by Flynn - Adds licensed open carry with the same restrictions as conceal carry, looks like 30.06 goes for both concealed and open carry. EDIT: Requires 2 point retention on holster for Open Carry.
    http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup ... Bill=HB106
    Click on the text tab to actually read the bill.

HB 195 by Sticland - Constitutional carry, concealed or openly without a license. Includes definition of intoxicated to be per 49.01 (0.08%). It also looks like they leave in the ability to get a CHL, and that possessing a firearm, concealed or unconcealed, is not probable cause. I cannot tell if they have removed 30.06 either (they leave in the reference for amusement parks, churches, and hospitals, but I do not see the main section for 30.06 in the bill).
    http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup ... Bill=HB195
    Click on Text to read the actual bill.

EDIT: HB 165 by White - similar to 106, licensed open carry. Does not have the 2 point retention holster requirement and creates a 30.07 sign just for OC. Much better chance of passing (and better overall) than 106.

106 is not passing as-is, since 30.06 is then tied to open and concealed carry. EDIT: 2 point holster requirement is terrible.
    195, I would have not touched the CHL portion just because I think that would hurt the chances of getting passed. I also want some clarification on 30.06. Is it removed so that carry is legal on private property, despite any signage? And I think the addition of intoxication definition is a great thing.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/Reports/General.aspx to find all bills listed so far (be sure to hit the 2015 Legislature drop down).

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Sad, but true. Legislators' jobs is to create laws, and they love to do it. We need an anti-legislature who's sole purpose is to try to undo what the others did :laughing:

This is absolutely genius. If we get a constitutional convention or a civil war and have to start again my vote will definitely go towards the creation of an anti-legislature.

What's on you mind, YG?

Probably that good old personal responsibility stuff.

Top Bottom