• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pharmaco

Give me those potatoes
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Round Rock
    I stupidly posted my thread in the politics section instead of gun legislation, but here it is:

I've seen two (EDIT: 3) OC Bills so far:

HB 106 by Flynn - Adds licensed open carry with the same restrictions as conceal carry, looks like 30.06 goes for both concealed and open carry. EDIT: Requires 2 point retention on holster for Open Carry.
    http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup ... Bill=HB106
    Click on the text tab to actually read the bill.

HB 195 by Sticland - Constitutional carry, concealed or openly without a license. Includes definition of intoxicated to be per 49.01 (0.08%). It also looks like they leave in the ability to get a CHL, and that possessing a firearm, concealed or unconcealed, is not probable cause. I cannot tell if they have removed 30.06 either (they leave in the reference for amusement parks, churches, and hospitals, but I do not see the main section for 30.06 in the bill).
    http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup ... Bill=HB195
    Click on Text to read the actual bill.

EDIT: HB 165 by White - similar to 106, licensed open carry. Does not have the 2 point retention holster requirement and creates a 30.07 sign just for OC. Much better chance of passing (and better overall) than 106.

106 is not passing as-is, since 30.06 is then tied to open and concealed carry. EDIT: 2 point holster requirement is terrible.
    195, I would have not touched the CHL portion just because I think that would hurt the chances of getting passed. I also want some clarification on 30.06. Is it removed so that carry is legal on private property, despite any signage? And I think the addition of intoxication definition is a great thing.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/Reports/General.aspx to find all bills listed so far (be sure to hit the 2015 Legislature drop down).

What is Flynn thinking? It'll only serve to get 30.06 signs placed Everywhere!
    What a crappy piece of legislation!!

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    What a lot of my customers, for that matter a good portion of the population, think they know about the law is what they see on TV. They think you have to have permits, registration and it takes days if not weeks to take it home. That the only time you can use a gun is if your attacker has one too AND points it at you or shoots first. Others think you can shoot any tresspasser.
    As much as really hate to say it, most people really need the class. No matter how boreing we think it is. Or how smart thier dad was. Even a lot of people over 50 have no clue what it really is. There was only about 15 people in my class and judging by the questions asked, at least half of them really needed the class.

from an idgit coffeeholic

All of that should be taught in high school. Won't do much for the adults, but at least we can educate the next generation.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Also, this bill would remove "illegal knife" and "club" from PC 46.02 Unlawful Carrying Weapon.

I see this as a good thing, as well. It would be silly for a person to be able to carry a firearm without a license while a baton remains illegal. Additionally, while I would rather run from a fight most of the time, being able to legally carry a less lethal weapon legally would be a good idea.

I want my Chinese stars!

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Any gun dealer who thinks he's gonna lose out by not teaching CHL classes is extremely short-sighted. Without the $300 (approx.) needed for the class, taking the plunge into CC becomes a LOT more attractive. So yeah, they'll lose the classes, but CC gun sales will probably more than offset that.

As far as non-FFL CHL instructors go- oh, well. If they want to keep their side jobs at the expense of their countrymen's freedom then they get no sympathy from me. If they willingly give it up in the name of greater freedom then they get my respect.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    What is Flynn thinking? It'll only serve to get 30.06 signs placed Everywhere!
    What a crappy piece of legislation!!

The two point retention holster is only going to serve to get good people arrested for malum prohibitum, and opens up a can of worms as to what constitutes a point of retention. It's also pretty silly to require this for someone who wants to carry in a small friendly town with low/no crime, someone hiking, someone walking across the street to check the mail....

pharmaco

Give me those potatoes
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Round Rock
    The two point retention holster is only going to serve to get good people arrested for malum prohibitum, and opens up a can of worms as to what constitutes a point of retention. It's also pretty silly to require this for someone who wants to carry in a small friendly town with low/no crime, someone hiking, someone walking across the street to check the mail....

I'm just pissed off because the only gun I'd OC would be either my 586 or my model 29, and I doubt anyone makes l2 retention holsters for them. LOL

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Not surprising but I was listening to talk radio earlier today and on the hourly breaking news segment they were talking about how there is already a Austin gun violence prevention blah blah group already going ballistic about the possibility of OC in TX. Cited the incident of the guy going into a fast food joint with a rifle slung on his back and all the hoplophobe employees freaking out and hiding in the walk-in cooler. Sure we'll hear the usual "wild west" and "streets will run red with blood" crap too. All I can think of everytime I hear the streets will run red with blood crap is:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Not surprising but I was listening to talk radio earlier today and on the hourly breaking news segment they were talking about how there is already a Austin gun violence prevention blah blah group already going ballistic about the possibility of OC in TX. Cited the incident of the guy going into a fast food joint with a rifle slung on his back and all the hoplophobe employees freaking out and hiding in the walk-in cooler. Sure we'll hear the usual "wild west" and "streets will run red with blood" crap too.

Same was claimed when concealed carry was being considered. It not only never happened, but crime decreased.

And, as already stated, Texas is behind the power curve when it comes to OC. Many states have it and such claims have already been disproved...

Top Bottom