• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    cant see that being something someone would want to do on an every day occasion, by that I mean carry IWB but openly. I guess it would be a useful way to carry in some instances.
    Target Sports

Last edited:

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    Keep the gun from snagging on things. Could be a factor depending on your activities.

Ex: I carry my phone OWB in a level 1 retention clip holster. It's constantly catching on stuff as I go about my business..

That makes sense. I tend to forget that some folks are lucky enough to be able to carry at work. Not going to happen for me inside a chemical plant and even if I could, I doubt I would.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    It would only be in our best interest to include retention holsters.

1) It would coerce people to practice with them.
    2) It would prevent disarmament more than a non-retention holster

#2 would lead to a very STRONG argument against OC, or any progression of it towards constitutional carry.
    It's not mine, or yours, or anyone else's business to tell someone what type of holster to use. We need to stop worrying about political correctness and public emotion and just do what's right for once.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Right intention, wrong approach. Derailing the current attempt to loosen regulations isn't the way to go, especially when a future leg can just re-tighten them.

What he SHOULD lead is an effort to actually amend the Texas Constitution to remove the leg's ability to regulate the wearing of arms, period.

That's the way to approach this - not to buttfuck the work currently in progress because you're tired of waiting in line.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    It's not mine, or yours, or anyone else's business to tell someone what type of holster to use. We need to stop worrying about political correctness and public emotion and just do what's right for once.

I completely agree in principle.

Unfortunately that's not the world we live in.

If logic prevailed this thread wouldn't even need to exist.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Right intention, wrong approach. Derailing the current attempt to loosen regulations isn't the way to go, especially when a future leg can just re-tighten them.

What he SHOULD lead is an effort to actually amend the Texas Constitution to remove the leg's ability to regulate the wearing of arms, period.

That's the way to approach this - not to butt$#@! the work currently in progress because you're tired of waiting in line.

Do you believe in repeat offenders of child sexual molestation should be able to carry firearms into schools?

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    1. gov needs to stop coercing people.

2. Because that happens all the time........just look at all these examples of it happening.

Oops. No examples

If you forced people to OC with retention holsters a certain percentage of people will practice to learn that holster where they otherwise may have not. It's a secondary effect of the regulation.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    image.png

The first person that gets disarmed and held up / shot / someone else injured with their own OC weapon WILL be a major news event. The topic of not using a retention holster and training comparisons with the police will be the first things brought up.

If this happened enough to gain public awareness then it WILL present problems for future expansions of open carry.

Ergo, a retention holster is insurance not only for keeping your gun in your holster, but also avoiding feeding the media the imagery we need to avoid to further our rights.

School / workplace shootings are rare, but look at all the attention and knee jerk reaction / laws they garner.

Think beyond the box for a second here.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Do you believe in repeat offenders of child sexual molestation should be able to carry firearms into schools?

I don't believe in repeat offenders of child molestation being released into the public.

As for the rest of your non-sequitur, possession of a firearm by a felon is already federally illegal and carries long prison terms. Then again, I disagree with disallowing those who have completed their sentences (including probation and parole) from exercising their constitutional rights (including voting and carrying firearms).

The first person that gets disarmed and held up / shot / someone else injured with their own OC weapon WILL be a major news event. The topic of not using a retention holster and training comparisons with the police will be the first things brought up.

Please provide a cite where this has happened in other states that allow open carry - specifically, where it ballooned into a major incident and resulted in anything more than a temporary media blitz with no long-term change.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Please provide a cite where this has happened in other states that allow open carry - specifically, where it ballooned into a major incident and resulted in anything more than a temporary media blitz with no long-term change.

California for one, but we all know that is a special case.

I don't think you understand what I am getting at here.

Constitutional carry was sunk by a single event, admittedly in floor testimony, by a single individual's actions.

Open carry would not be repealed. There won't be sufficient causality to retract that, and once politicians sign off on things, they tend to protect it.

Now, if you want to expand licensed OC into Constitutional Carry you will have to go through the same arguments and against the same people looking for any reason not to back it. If there are even one or two of these occurrences it WILL be a road block in many decision makers minds. Anyone that has spent time at the capitol will tell you that. Most of these reps fly by the trade winds. Hell, the Luby's Day Massacre even played to our hand the first go around with Huff's testimony. I think many, many people are underestimating the value of a single news story or event.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    No it wasn't. Amending the constitution is a MUCH different process than passing a law.

I think you need to re-form that opinion after reading the notes from the debates. It was clearly mentioned several times. Plus its common sense.

Currently Constitutional Carry is attempting to achieve this via changes to the Penal Code rather than Amendments. I wonder why that is ... oh, its because it has very little support in part because of the whack-jobs supporting it doing stupid things.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I think you need to re-form that opinion after reading the notes from the debates. It was clearly mentioned several times. Plus its common sense.

Well, after that pesky state's rights issue, sure. The US Constitution says you have the right to keep and bear, and references both a militia (which we probably commonly agree is the able-bodied citizenry) and well-regulated (which we probably don't agree on, nor do most folks - this is likely to be the crux of a Texas amendment fight).

Currently Constitutional Carry is attempting to achieve this via changes to the Penal Code rather than Amendments. I wonder why that is ... oh, its because it has very little support in part because of the whack-jobs supporting it doing stupid things.

No, it's because like everything, there are steps and layers. Even getting a constitutional amendment passed wouldn't fix anything - it would cause MORE problems given the volume of laws that would need to be re-written to conform with the new constitutional language.

Nevermind the 2/3rds in both the house and senate PLUS a public vote.

Once it's non-criminal, it's actually MUCH easier to simply proffer a constitutional amendment likely to get supported by enough votes to make worthwhile AND get the public support and turnout it needs.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    So, my GF was at the local oil change place yesterday & noticed an individual there with a gun on his side.
    There also happened to be 2 detectives there, which noticed this individual as well.
    When they approached him & started talking to him he stated "open carry passed".

She said thye told him he had 5 minutes to put it away & preceded to ream him out, lol.....

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    So, my GF was at the local oil change place yesterday & noticed an individual there with a gun on his side.
    There also happened to be 2 detectives there, which noticed this individual as well.
    When they approached him & started talking to him he stated "open carry passed".

She said thye told him he had 5 minutes to put it away & preceded to ream him out, lol.....

Yeah, something tells me he has never looked into OC, 2A Rights, belongs to the NRA or TSRA, called his state Rep, followed any of the bills or can even name one of them. Yeah, he is a low information gun owner

Top Bottom