• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Citizens of Britain and Europe have paid our "outrageous" level prices for years. Now that our fuel can become part of the "Free Trade" world market, we stand in line for fuel at the prevailing rates. US free trade agreements ended all protections we had in keeping fuel costs at bay. Our lawmakers tossed us in the pot with the rest of the world. What encouraged them to sell us out like that? I'd say money is at the top of the list. Also, the oil company "BP" doesn't stand for "Boston Petroleum". We mean nothing to them. As long as India, China and other nations will pay $5/gallon, we will, too.

Flash

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    284653_10150271291316122_525941121_7729507_7545630_n.jpg

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Refineries shutting down to produce summer blends also adds to the price.

Remember that you're also paying .18 cents per gallon Federal Taxes on gas per gallon and .24 cents per gallon on Diesel not to mention state taxes;:

776px-US_Diesel_Taxes_April_2009.svg.png

JADB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    DFW
    I don't even pay for my gas but it still hurts when I see it this high. $3.95 in Plano yesterday. $96.00 to fill up F150.

glenn61

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2012
    Schertz, Tx
    Fortunate, maybe, but just cause they pay a lot doesnt mean we should to. I refuse to believe they set the standards.

I think it's just a matter of time. All I can say is if that day comes--we're going to have some serious issues to deal with.

slowboogie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Tomball
    My wife drives a mid sized gasoline burner and I have driven a Dodge 3/4 ton diesel pickup for several years. We get very good mileage but this present high cost of motor fuel seems to be wedded to politics and greed...But a point I wish to make is that the higher price of diesel than gasoline. It is a fact that turning crude oil into diesel is less troublesome and less expensive than turning it into gasoline...

So why are diesel users being shafted in the price of the product ? Groceries and many things come via truck and trucks use diesel, thus the higher and higher prices for everything that is tied to diesel....This is a crime and somebody should be taken to jail !!!

Not sure, but I think it's because of the price of heating oil/fuel oil....Yankees use it to heat themselves, helps to drive the cost of diesel...Hell if they suspended the Fed tax for a ____ "bean counter insert time"...and a tweak a few other things hidden in the price per gallon, we would see it drop.

slowboogie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Tomball
    Flash came and found me, like a long lost dog that lost his way...

Jake's nose sniffed and found you, Skeeter. I meant to talk to you about that smell!.....snicker!

Gonna weigh in on this thread.

One more time, our unmentionable friends in Washington sold us out. Fuel is no longer regulated so people buy it and then they OWN it. They will charge whatever they want for it and it's completely legal and beyond the power of elected officials. If we raise our exploration efforts, the fuel will still go on the market and we'll still pay market price. If we band together and quit buying it at $4/gallon to force the price down, they will simply sell it to foreign countries who WILL pay that price. We were sold out. Someone got real wealthy to make that happen.

Oil company profits are at record high, never before seen levels, yet we still pay subsidies to the oil companies. HMMMMMM....something smells fishy. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

Flash

Yeah , I heard something like..when Nixon took us off the gold standard in 71, OPEC said ok, you dont pay us in gold but that "print all you want funny money" we will just keep raising the price the more you print the less its worth. And something about the oil commodity HQ moved from US to London along with sometype of "vehicle" that kept prices down that another Prez did away with, that let the above mentioned oil commodity speculators to drive the market at will.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Yeah , I heard something like..when Nixon took us off the gold standard in 71, OPEC said ok, you dont pay us in gold but that "print all you want funny money" we will just keep raising the price the more you print the less its worth. And something about the oil commodity HQ moved from US to London along with sometype of "vehicle" that kept prices down that another Prez did away with, that let the above mentioned oil commodity speculators to drive the market at will.
    Whoh, I'm sorry, I know, I'll try to tiptoe around the politics of this.

But, price fixing doesn't work! It doesn't matter who or what is in this mythical "control" of oil prices. If we sit here and fix the price of oil below market prices we'll not have access to it... There would be shortages.

If government subsidizes that difference, then you're going to be paying for it out of taxes, that don't exist yet...

As for the gold standard, the reason we got off the gold standard, was because of this little issue, it wasn't sustainable. What was going on after WW2 was that we were in a treaty with a bunch of other countries. What we did was base our currency off of gold, and the other countries fixed the value of their currency on ours.

The problem was it requires sooo much market manipulation to keep the values fixed, that it opened up all sorts of arbitrage opportunities. Plus it took sooo much money to keep the values fixed. It collapsed. So, I don't care what certain popular small government people say, what they're really advocating is a Massive increase in artificial manipulations to the monetary system marketplace...

As for OPEC, in the 70's they were going after up bc of our foreign policy in regards to our position on Israel.

Here is the deal, we have more than enough oil, that if we opened up our land to drill on, it would glut the market, and that is simply not happening for political reasons...

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    If we would get the fed out of the oil game and let capitalism work like it should minus all the bs regs to clean up gas we would easily be back under $2 a gallon. As long as the feds try to dictate what fuel is used and deny permits to exploit domestic reserves we will continue to see rising fuel cost. And wether people admit it or not rising fuel cost will have a severely detrimental effect on the economy.

The two worst things about this latest bout of high gas prices:

The United States is sitting on almost 2 trillion barrels of oil contained in liquid reserves, but mostly shale oil and tar sands. Of that, 800 billion barrels is immediately economically viable (ie. as expensive and in many cases even cheaper than foreign imported oil) to recover, which is four times the Saudi reserves.

Since 1998, only one single new refinery has been built in the United States, owing both to public NIMBY mindset as well as EPA and other governmental B.S., regulatory hurdles, and taxes.

IMO, history books hundreds of years from now will be describing the downfall of the United States of America, and the students will be shaking their heads regarding why we as a nation were so bent on sewing the seeds of our own economic failure.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Oil is priced in U.S. Dollars.

The value of the U.S. Dollar has fallen relative to the currencies of other developed nations, due to increased printing of money with nothing to back it up.

Hence, we pay more per barrel of oil now than in the recent past.

Global fears of oil interruption by the mullahs of Iran without a vigorous U.S. "big-stick" safeguard only heightens fears.

This feeds the price of oil futures.

European nations buy oil at the same price we do, but they levy far higher taxes on the refined product than we do, so any comparison to their prices is faulty.

The only way to drop the price at the pump is to sever our dependence on the world oil market.

Force the Asians and Europeans to deploy their navies into the Gulf waters to safeguard their oil shipments.

We actually export surplus refined oil products.

Stop all exports now, sever our ties to the global oil market, get the Yankees to shift home and commercial heating from fuel oil to natural gas, and maximize the production of native North American oil reserves, and the cost will come down.

Eliminate EPA-mandated gasoline and diesel blends, and bar the use of ethanol in gasoline.

Embargo all Mexican and Venezuelan oil exports: Pay them our fair-market value for a barrel of oil and watch those corrupt regimes crumble in the face of market pressures.

Don't expect your Representatives or Senators to jump on this one: They get lots of money from the ethanol and agri-business lobby.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Oil is priced in U.S. Dollars.The value of the U.S. Dollar has fallen relative to the currencies of other developed nations, due to increased printing of money with nothing to back it up.Hence, we pay more per barrel of oil now than in the recent past.
    This is true, but we haven't seen a whole lot of instability this go round. If anything (and the fact that I'm saying this is terrible, considering the games they've played with our monetary policy since Bernaki) our currency has been pretty stable compared to some of the games being played by other major currencies.

Top Bottom