• Total voters

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Frank's Red Hot is pretty decent as is McIlhenny's Tabasco for traditional ones I keep on hand in the fridge. A couple of my favorites though are Chile Garlic Sauce by Huy Fong Foods and their other one Sriracha Hot Chile Sauce. They are tasty.

1657449291439.png

1657449320243.png

Then there are all the others, whose names I cannot recall that I have tried. My brother-in-law, the younger one, has quite the large collection of hot sauces and my son also keeps at least a few on hand. My son has one made from what I think are called Ghost Peppers; I did not try it after he told me what one tiny drop did to his insides. Sounded like he consumed dragon fire. I used to eat whole Haberneros and other hot peppers with some regularity but had to stop because after radiation treatments for throat cancer my mouth is no longer up to dealing with the effects of chomping down on foods as hot as I used to enjoy.

While Ghost Peppers are hot, there reportedly are several that are quite a bit hotter: https://pepperhead.com/top-10-worlds-hottest-peppers/

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    This is a poll I dislike. I celebrate the diversity of hot sauce and find myself so inclusive as to not have just one favorite or go-to brand. For some things, like oysters, Tabasco (original) is best. But for wings, Franks. And Cholula on breakfast tacos. Chicken tortilla soup gets either the Chipotle variant of either Tabasco or Cholula. Mayo gets combined with Sriracha.

And that’s just the first row of the middle shelf of the hot sauce vault.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Tiens, you have hit one of my passions, so here goes. I live on the Bayou Teche at Saint Martinville, home of two of the largest hot sauce manufacturers, and my late Dad was friends with a third. We are about 15” from New Iberia, home of Bruce’s/Louisiana Brand and Tabasco. (Tabasco is really from nearby Avery Island, which is not really an island.)

Pepper tasters/graders taste samples STRAIGHT, as in “neat”.

To us, there are several basic types of hot sauce, which are used for somewhat different purposes. People who know, “aficionados”, look for BOTH taste and “hotness”.

For cooking, Louisiana Brand, Cajun Chef, & Buillard’s (Peppers International) are very popular here.

For seasoning at table, especially steaks, Trappey’s SHIELD LABEL is considered best. But, since Trappey died and company was taken over by Bruce Foods (Louisiana Brand), which was itself taken-over by a large out-pf-state outfit, Shield Label is almost impossible to find, and is no longer in continuous production.

As Dad used to say” Tabasco is for scrambled eggs, raw oysters, and Bloody Mary’s (ONLY)”.

Today we generally keep Cajun Chef, Tabasco, and one of the available Trappey’s specialty hot sauces on hand.

I’m not supposed to say this, but Cajun Chef, Buillard’s, Louisian Brand, & Bruce’s are virtually indistinguishable. In face, I think that Louisiana Brand and Bruce’s are the same item.

Crystal, from Reilly Foods @ New Orleans and Trapey’s “Bull” (Toreau, which is French for Toro) are simply Cayenne slurry, considered very inferior. Trappey’s other products are all much better. Reilly also makes “Tiger Sauce”, which has cane syrup or sugar added but is very popular.

Tabasco is more expensive, as it follows an old formula and is “aged” like whiskey in oak wood casks.

Some of those companies have websites and/or offer informative materials for the asking.

leVieux

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Favorite is a misnomer when it comes to Hot Saue. It depends on what its going on or in. Breakfast eggs, good old red Tabasco, they make several types now. Sea food, Louisiana, Pasta Sriacha, other for other stuff. And for that special friend that you dont mind shutting up, Lizano.

Attachments

• HS.JPG
      HS.JPG
      325.2 KB · Views: 59

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Like others I have many I like. The ones worth mentioning are these. The “hotter” version of Texas Pete, great flavor and my absolute favorite all around hot sauce.

Chipotle Tobasco is great on burritos and such. The smokey flavor is really good.

Zaaschila Habanero (it’s actually not hot unfortunately) is the best thing I have ever put on chicken tacos. The little heat pairs really well with lime on the chicken tacos.
    839349C1-FD0F-4B8D-8AC1-FE183225FDBC.jpeg

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Tabasco Family Reserve.
    Don’t buy it anymore though. Price went up to $12.00/bottle. That’s just silly.

Just another gimmick variety.

From reading all the comments on this thread, I KNOW that folks chose without actually tasting.

The ONLY way to pick a real preference is to taste them STRAIGHT.

Otherwise, it's like pouring your Maker's Mark into CocaCola. . . . . .

mp_tx

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Austin
    66 Red Pepper Sauce from Cabo Bob’s. I have been known to drink it out of the bottle.

e252e80fb67faf63eae9211babad444f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom