• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...wreck-2021-says-incredibly-lucky-make-it.html

Brit tabloid, so grain of salt, but they touched down on the bow? My understanding was that was a big no-no, but i don't think the CEO is too worried about that right now...

Confidence inspiring operation.
    Shortly before the sub was launched, Loibl says the bracket of the stabilisation tube - used to provide balance as the craft descends into the depths - fell off the vessel.

'That was reattached with zip ties. That didn't worry me,' he tells Bild.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    And apparently they crushed it.
    crush-it-like-quint-chug.gif

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Well, this makes you wonder about NASA's judgement and quality control...

While i can understand the appeal of carbon fiber, spend like 30 minutes shooting CF arrows or bolts and your desire to build a pressure vessel out of it, should, hopefully, shatter.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Has it been mentioned how they were going to rescue and bring the craft/tourists to the surface if they found them in time?

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Has it been mentioned how they were going to rescue and bring the craft/tourists to the surface if they found them in time?

They'll pretty much have to haul that submersible to the surface to get it open. I seriously doubt it has any kind of standard hatch an underwater system could mate up with. The more I read the more I suspect it's a manhole cover with some large bolts and wingnuts...

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    The navy has some stuff.

Yes but AFAIK, it is not there.

So the folks who left in search Sunday had no ability to rescue if they found them. I guess the best case scenario for the search planes would have been to find them surfaced, something they could handle.

Does the thing even have a place to attach a cable and get pulled up from depth?

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    They'll pretty much have to haul that submersible to the surface to get it open. I seriously doubt it has any kind of standard hatch an underwater system could mate up with. The more I read the more I suspect it's a manhole cover with some large bolts and wingnuts...
    The only hatch is the front window. Sealed from the outside by 17 bolts.

Whole thing sounds like it was designed by japan at the end of ww2, a kamakazi submarine.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Yes but AFAIK, it is not there.

So the folks who left in search Sunday had no ability to rescue if they found them. I guess the best case scenario for the search planes would have been to find them surfaced, something they could handle.

Does the thing even have a place to attach a cable and get pulled up from depth?
    There's a "cage" on the outside, but going off that DM article, i wouldn't trust it to hold. If its even still there.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Well, this makes you wonder about NASA's judgement and quality control...

To be fair, from what i understand, they lent expertise in carbon fiber winding and layment. Something they are supposidly good at. So essentially making a strong soon.

The rest of the that clown show......

I'm sure the finger pointing and told you so"s and told you not too's will start soon.

I'm not sure how deep they were when coms dropped but.....
    If they are being dumb asses and touching down on part of the deck, I seem to remember someone saying parts of the ship were near collapse. Why would you go anywhere near something like that.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    The US Navy is sending subject matter experts and a “Flyaway Deep Ocean Salvage System” that can lift heavy undersea objects to assist in the search and rescue, a spokesperson said Tuesday

Copy pasta.

Top Bottom