• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    On January 10, 2023, Governor JB Pritzker signed into law Public Act 102-1116 Opens in new window, the Protect Illinois Communities Act (Act). The Act regulates the sale and distribution of assault weapons, high-capacity magazines, and switches in Illinois. The Act went into effect immediately upon signing. Individuals who possessed assault weapons, high-capacity magazines, and other devices listed in the Act before it took effect are required to submit an endorsement affidavit through their Firearm Owner’s Identification Card account by JANUARY 1, 2024.

Here are two discussion about the trial which has just started. For the historical and legal nerds/junkies (that's me at least but maybe a few on forum) an English trial in 1686 has a bearing on this case.

Read more at AmmoLand blog

The critical legal interpretation came from the 1686 trial of Sir John Knight, where the court emphasized that the statute applied only when arms were carried with “malo animo,” or malicious intent. The jury acquitted Knight because he did not go armed with the intent to terrify the public. This reinforces the principle that carrying arms for self-defense was lawful unless it was done to cause fear or harm.
    In America, the right to bear arms evolved into something far more expansive than its English origins.

This divergence is crucial to understanding why the Second Amendment was framed without the qualifications that limited English rights. The Founders sought to enshrine an individual right that went beyond the restrictive English model, ensuring that American citizens could bear arms for self-defense without conditions based on their status or intent.

And for a video discussion as well from Tom Grieve channel.

On such legal interpretation does our God giving enshrined in the Constitution becomes tested. And why it can take years to overturn unconstitutional laws which are passed over and over again. Easy to see why the state lawyers can get the big bucks to argue over this for their political bosses on taxpayer dime.

Attachments

• 1686-trial-of-Sir-John-Knight-600x427.jpg
      1686-trial-of-Sir-John-Knight-600x427.jpg
      41.8 KB · Views: 16

ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    You probably wouldn't believe it. But we were interviewed to be plaintiffs in that case before we left IL. We were victims of multiple break ins, and were members of a state wide gun group. Some of our friends involved thought we'd make good representatives. In the end we were one district too far north. They wanted people from the farthest south district to file so that all the states lawyers would have to travel further for a tactical advantage... It was one of only a couple things that would have kept us there.
    IMG_20220406_130802937_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    PRotect Illinois Communities (PRIC) Act, huh?
    PRIC for PRICKster, gov of IL...
    I wear a shirt around still that says "My governor is an IDIOT". With the IL state seal. I keep waiting for someone down here to think I'm a lefty and it's aimed at wheels. I try not to wear it to town, but I slip up now and then.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Downstate isn't bad. Most country PDs ignore all the BS laws. But the ISP won't..
    On the rare occasion that I talk to my brother he says the cancer that is Chicago is making leaps and bounds out were he lives. The crime is there and has been for some time. He works part time at the small municipal airport tat his plane is hangered. There has been a task force working out of one of the building for years. When I get a new gun & send him a picture he shows them off to the task force boys. He said they are pretty much amazed at what I have.

My sister is out in a small town and its been infested with hood rats for some time. She moved out of town for the decline & because she retired.

ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    On the rare occasion that I talk to my brother he says the cancer that is Chicago is making leaps and bounds out were he lives. The crime is there and has been for some time. He works part time at the small municipal airport tat his plane is hangered. There has been a task force working out of one of the building for years. When I get a new gun & send him a picture he shows them off to the task force boys. He said they are pretty much amazed at what I have.

My sister is out in a small town and its been infested with hood rats for some time. She moved out of town for the decline & because she retired.
    Where I grew up is still pretty much Mayberry. But the trash is working it's way in.. Towns the size of Midway are quiet, and there aren't any bars in the doors and windows. Even the "big' town I used to work in (30k) were pretty quiet outside of the bad side of town. Not one single gas station had bulletproof glass or anything crazy like Cleburn was when we came down here 20 years ago took look at a job. But out here Madisonville way is pretty similar all around.

Lead Belly

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    No chance in hell would I ever be caught in that entire state. My idiot family member can have it.
    That is the entire goal: they want to get this test-case and apply it nationwide (including Texas). Despite this happening far away, it will affect us here, as Clinton's ban did.

Great videos, thanks posters for bringing it to our attention.

ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    IL was a 'permit only' state in the 50s when I lived there, probably earlier. so nothing really new.
    Currently, outside of Chicago, it's like this. You take a 2 day "Hunter safety course" which most kids in the country take in 4H, or Boy scouts, or whatever when their 10-12. But is required for adults who didn't take it, or moved in. After that, you have to have a FOID (firearm owner ID) card to buy a gun, or ammo. Most places you just flash it. But some of the big chains have started trying to record it for data mining. Most of us just tell them the F-off and buy at the little guys.. Then if you want a concealed carry license, it's a 2 day course and a couple hundred bucks.
    So if you took the course when you were a kid, it's a non issue. The foid sucks, but it's not really much of a real headache. And the CC license is a lot like here, just with another day of classroom.
    No suppressors, no full auto.
    It's not great, but it's better than it was, and better than some other places..

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    It's not great, but it's better than it was
    We left in 2018.

It's definitely worse now than it was then. Don't forget waiting periods. Having to call into the ISP to "check" FOIDs for private sales. Keeping record of sales for 10 years on file. Banning of all NFA items unless you're in a protected LEO position...and many other grievances too numerous to count. You've lived in the boiling pot too long to say it ain't that bad.

Welcome to Texas. It might take a while to acclimate to all the freedom but I hope the transition is a quick and smooth one.

I suggest buying a gun from a guy that had an ad online, with cash, in an Academy parking lot. No BOS. It will set you free.

Support
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    WillClem4
    Top Bottom