• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DyeF9

In Thrust We Trust
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    It looks like very superficial corrosion. Try and wipe it off with just some standard gun cleaner on a cotton patch, then rub some gun oil into the slide and barrel hood with another clean cotton patch and then go over it with a dry cotton patch to make sure it's not overly oily. I'd be surprised if you need to use any kind of abrasion

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Ok, are Glocks poor quality for concealed carry during the summer or am I just a damn sweathog?

I carry between a Kimber K6S, Glock 19, and Glock 43. Each involves a kydex IWB holster, worn at 4 o'clock.

My safe is in a climate controlled environment and inside the safe is a renewable dehumidifier.

I made an apparent poor decision to remove the holstered gun from my waist and store in the safe without removing the gun from the holster.

As you can see in the images below, the glocks have rust spots on the slide. My Kimber has NO RUST whatsoever and I've done an equal amount of sweaty IWB carry.

Anyone else have this problem with Glocks? Are they just that cheaply finished? Such is my presumption considering the Kimber still looks great.

Tough lesson to learn and I won't take the risk any longer; however, still interested to know if my regret can be slightly mitigated by validating Glock finishes are cheap.
    94b5f65e1de9efc9a2cb98cea3435233.jpg
    19d35607b623b1a8d1babbc1b6bad84c.jpg
    99563172a0ada0e240c3a2657e08914d.jpg
    a2a734976934533c03ac4ad95ad2f8f2.jpg

ETA: Spelling

I have a bunch of Glocks and none have any rust. Glocks are all I carry, and pretty much all I shoot. I don’t baby them or keep them particularly cleaned and lubed. But none of them have rust.

I see you have some custom
    work on your slide. I wonder if they took off the factory finish to put on those fancy stripes...and what it is doing to make the slide rust on ay before it’s time.

Not saying you can’t do what you want to your gun..that’s on you. But I doubt that Glock would be rusting if it still had a factory finish.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Best way to fix that is take the Glock outside.
    Place Glock on a big rock.
    Smush it with a big sledge hammer.
    Go acquire a proper handgun such as a 1911.
    See how easy.

LOL! Good one Moonie!

Stick yer Glock on a rock!
    Jam ‘er with a hammer!
    For protect-shun, replace with a relic-Son!

Dang, a poet...didja know it?

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Having said that, small rust blooms are no big deal. A little 0000 steel wool and some CLP and you're GTG.

Oh, be sure to check the inside, too
    Surely you jest - steel wool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! First a cloth with penetrating oil on it and a lot of elbow grease. If that does not remove it, then a brass brush and more oil. Do not us steel wool for light to medium rust unless you want to ruin the finish on a firearm; even with heavy rust, I'd use a brass brush first.

As for rusty Glocks: I have carried Glocks since the late 1980s or early 1990s. I have owned 5, currently have 3 and was issued three others. I have never, and I do mean not even once, seen rust on any of them. If you take even slight care of them, they probably would not rust.

SURVIVOR619

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    US
    I have a bunch of Glocks and none have any rust. Glocks are all I carry, and pretty much all I shoot. I don’t baby them or keep them particularly cleaned and lubed. But none of them have rust.

I see you have some custom
    work on your slide. I wonder if they took off the factory finish to put on those fancy stripes...and what it is doing to make the slide rust on ay before it’s time.

Not saying you can’t do what you want to your gun..that’s on you. But I doubt that Glock would be rusting if it still had a factory finish.
    Thanks, all fair points; however the 43 is not custom and has a greater amount of rust than my fancy striped 19.

I'm definitely a new carrier so this is my first tough lesson in storage, at least for my own personal situation: remove from holster; check for moisture; store in safe separate from holster.

SURVIVOR619

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    US
    It looks like very superficial corrosion. Try and wipe it off with just some standard gun cleaner on a cotton patch, then rub some gun oil into the slide and barrel hood with another clean cotton patch and then go over it with a dry cotton patch to make sure it's not overly oily. I'd be surprised if you need to use any kind of abrasion

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Agreed it does appear superficial. Much can be accomplished with some elbow grease.

SURVIVOR619

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    US
    If you take even slight care of them, they probably would not rust.

Yes, this is the most disappointing part of my situation: I could have easily avoided this with a 10 second remove+wipe before placing in the safe.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I'm definitely a new carrier so this is my first tough lesson in storage, at least for my own personal situation: remove from holster; check for moisture; store in safe separate from holster.

I fear your sweat is probably just more corrosive than most. I carried a Gen 4 Glock 19 for a good while and never unholstered it or wiped it down when done carrying it for the day and never had rust issues.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Surely you jest - steel wool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! First a cloth with penetrating oil on it and a lot of elbow grease. If that does not remove it, then a brass brush and more oil. Do not us steel wool for light to medium rust unless you want to ruin the finish on a firearm; even with heavy rust, I'd use a brass brush first.

As for rusty Glocks: I have carried Glocks since the late 1980s or early 1990s. I have owned 5, currently have 3 and was issued three others. I have never, and I do mean not even once, seen rust on any of them. If you take even slight care of them, they probably would not rust.

No he does not jest. Did that a number of times many decades ago when gunsmithing. Just soak the super fine steel wool in oil first. Go lightly. Well known method.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    I just recently cleaned a small rust spot on the slide of my glock 19. I've been carrying it for a long time (ten years?), in cloth and leather holsters, so I'm sure some sweat has come through on to it. 0000 steel wool and lube seemed to clear it up.

SURVIVOR619

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    US
    I fear your sweat is probably just more corrosive than most. I carried a Gen 4 Glock 19 for a good while and never unholstered it or wiped it down when done carrying it for the day and never had rust issues.
    Distilled liberal tears, eh? Haha!

I did wonder in my OP, 'am I just a damn sweathog?' Perhaps the question has been answered.

Top Bottom