• ...and so much more!
  • Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Don't let him fool you. I bet he still has a picture of his Glock's framed and on the mantle :) Keeps him warm in the cool night...hahahaha

F5BF1470-2831-45C3-9748-09A8F7A6CD53.gif

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    No he does not jest. Did that a number of times many decades ago when gunsmithing. Just soak the super fine steel wool in oil first. Go lightly. Well known method.
    A well known method to remove all of the finish to the white is using steel wool. I have found that there is no better way to ruin what finish remains under light rust on a gun than with steel wool, I have seen way to many guns that folks have ruined that way. I believe a much better and also well known method is to use a cloth soaked in oil first, followed by a brass brush if needed. Going to steel wool first is only asking for trouble IMO. I only use steel wool on really bad rust but I try my best to avoid my frearms getting that way in the first place and avoid buying them like that too.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    A well known method to remove all of the finish to the white is using steel wool. I have found that there is no better way to ruin what finish remains under light rust on a gun than with steel wool, I have seen way to many guns that folks have ruined that way. I believe a much better and also well known method is to use a cloth soaked in oil first, followed by a brass brush if needed. Going to steel wool first is only asking for trouble IMO. I only use steel wool on really bad rust but I try my best to avoid my frearms getting that way in the first place and avoid buying them like that too.

You can screw up anything if you don't do it right.

I have done this on a number of occasions, always with good results. 0000 steel wool completely soaked in oil, used with a very light touch.

You may not believe it works, but many gunsmiths know it works.

Midlifer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Yes, Glocks are cheap. It's their engineering that makes them such reliable guns.

Having said that, small rust blooms are no big deal. A little 0000 steel wool and some CLP and you're GTG.

For a no-maintenance solution, you can spend the money and get your slide finished with some high-end nitride or cerakote or etc.

Oh, be sure to check the inside, too
    Really? I’ve carried on of 2 Glocks daily for 15 years. The original Glock finish is tough as hell. The “stylish” flag, picture and other finishes are garbage and do very little to protect the metal. If you want a cool gun, don’t carry, if you do carry you’ll need to clean every day, hot and sweaty or not.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Really? I’ve carried on of 2 Glocks daily for 15 years. The original Glock finish is tough as hell. The “stylish” flag, picture and other finishes are garbage and do very little to protect the metal. If you want a cool gun, don’t carry, if you do carry you’ll need to clean every day, hot and sweaty or not.

The Glock 43 appears to have the stock finish. So I guess the new finishes just fall into the "garbage" category.

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx

15 years ago -- tenifer finish, right? That was a great finish. Glock doesn't do those anymore. As mentioned above, the EPA shut down that finish, and the current version lacks the quality of the previous version.

Top Bottom