• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I inherited some land just outside Palestine in Anderson Co.
    after my dad passed 8 years ago. Taxes went way up before I could get it sold. He had timber and other exemptions, but I understand the county goes back and collects full freight on the past 5 years. Driving along the country roads I always wondered how much tax is being collected for those miles and miles.

They sure ain't doing nothing about the roads with that money. My county road sux ass.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    They sure ain't doing nothing about the roads with that money. My county road sux ass.

Tell me about it. The last bad rain, washed out the asphalt from the pot holes, and they did patch them a few weeks ago, but it's already coming out. Last week the county mowed the ditches on our county road. It will probably be next year before they get mowed again. Last Summer they only mowed the county roads once.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    My buddy Ralph said the county commissioner is to busy with his auction business to give a phuc about the roads. Simple shit like cleaning out the bar ditches would fix a lot of problems. I’ve seen bridges washed out and several washed out roads, where the pavement was washed clean off the roads.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Tell me about it. The last bad rain, washed out the asphalt from the pot holes, and they did patch them a few weeks ago, but it's already coming out. Last week the county mowed the ditches on our county road. It will probably be next year before they get mowed again. Last Summer they only mowed the county roads once.

Pretty sure they only mowed once last year. I haven't seen any mowing yet.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    This property currently has a timber exemption. I plan on filing my exemption ASAP and getting my forest management plan submitted to the county. If you convert the property from the ag exemption just to a "regular" property then they hit you with the five years of back taxes ( i think now it's only three). At least that's my understanding of it. It's still a scam IMO.
    Timber (or other) exemptions can be 'rolled over' into other exemptions without concern for rollback, the CAD will usually assist with this.
    Also, check the contract and closing documents, oftentimes the seller can be on the hook for rollback taxes!

Eli

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    Also, check the contract and closing documents, oftentimes the seller can be on the hook for rollback taxes!
    My attorney added that to the contract, but it only applies if it's their fault. If, after the transfer, something I did nullified the deferral, the back taxes were on me.

flgfish

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2020
    The Woodlands
    Great thread. Please keep us updated as things happen.
    I've been shopping off & on for the last year, looking for land for exactly the same purpose.
    I'd really love something in West Texas - love the land out there. Grandmother was from Uvalde, and spent a ton of time out that way & San Antonio as a kid. Downside is it's a 5+ hour trip from our home in The Woodlands. I've looked at property in the 3 hour radius from here, which basically means east of 45 - everything between here & Austin is getting super pricey.
    The search & dream continues.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    I've been shopping off & on for the last year, looking for land for exactly the same purpose.
    I'd really love something in West Texas - love the land out there. Grandmother was from Uvalde, and spent a ton of time out that way & San Antonio as a kid. Downside is it's a 5+ hour trip from our home in The Woodlands. I've looked at property in the 3 hour radius from here, which basically means east of 45 - everything between here & Austin is getting super pricey.

Two things to remember: They aren't making any more land and it's not getting cheaper.

Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX
    Two things to remember: They aren't making any more land and it's not getting cheaper.

My dad (born in 1913) once said to me. "Son, land is the one thing they ain't making any more of." I've got a little piece of Texas. Only 70 acres. But I bought it for $1,500 an acre and now it's worth maybe $20,00/acre. If you dream of owning land, this one thing I know. It will never get cheaper.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    My dad (born in 1913) once said to me. "Son, land is the one thing they ain't making any more of." I've got a little piece of Texas. Only 70 acres. But I bought it for $1,500 an acre and now it's worth maybe $20,00/acre. If you dream of owning land, this one thing I know. It will never get cheaper.

Au Contraire! China is making islands over in the far east. If that's not making land I don't know what is.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    I was looking at a lot of properties around Rocksprings and Del Rio area and found some decent deals but the drive was a bit much for a weekend warrior. Drive all day Friday, hunt Saturday, and spend all day Sunday driving to be back at work on Monday. Plus a lot of that area was hit hard by anthrax which made me wonder why some properties were so cheap.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I was looking at a lot of properties around Rocksprings and Del Rio area and found some decent deals but the drive was a bit much for a weekend warrior. Drive all day Friday, hunt Saturday, and spend all day Sunday driving to be back at work on Monday. Plus a lot of that area was hit hard by anthrax which made me wonder why some properties were so cheap.

Price drilling a well if the place has no water! A friend had a lease out in Rocksprings. I went out with him to fence of a feeder. Found out you need a air hammer to drive post.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    Good news and bad news. The good news is theres a community water well and a line on the county road adjacent to my property.

The bad news is that the water line stops about a half mile before my property. The water association is supposed to get back with me with an estimate. Thats just to get the meter to the property. Its another 400 yards to get water to the camp site.

Good news. I finally bought a truck.

Bad news. I bought it sight unseen and its a Ford 6.0 diesel thats at a TXDOT lot in El Paso. It might as well be on the moon. Drive out price is 7k for a 2004 3500 dually 4x4. 196k miles. It supposedly runs. I hope it doesn't turn out to be a turd. I'm going to try Uship and see if I can get it shipped to Spring.

Top Bottom