• ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    @andre3k

Does he have a 1000 + gal fuel truck? Might come in handy, vs taking equipment off the job to get filled. If hes got 4 projects going, it'd probably pay for itself by the end of the year.

Even a 300 to 500 gallon, trailer mounted tank with a pump on it might be a good investment as well. One of those could be built pretty easily. Most expensive parts would be the trailer and the tank.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    @andre3k

Does he have a 1000 + gal fuel truck? Might come in handy, vs taking equipment off the job to get filled. If hes got 4 projects going, it'd probably pay for itself by the end of the year.
    I don't think so. He has a few of the transfer tanks mounted on trucks for smaller equipment, but we filled up off site today for the big stuff. I'll ask to see if he has a big tank.

I don't see how the old man does it. He's been running that machine since 0800 hrs and we're still out here. I got a 30 minute lesson and filled up two dump truck loads. I'm still herky jerky at the controls and completely out of my element. Its a 25 ft deep foundation for a grain silo. Should be done with this by tonight or early morning and then it's off to National Beef to finish up dirt work for a new road onto the plants scales.
    96f8644e361c7500b1ad0e5718b1cda8.jpg
    fe345f5ab12c20a70d2bfcd78130763d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Looking good.
    Atleast yall have some sort of fuel tanks for convenience.

The hydraulic controls can be sensitive sometimes. They are different in every machine you get in....even though the same type of machines, like 2 differnt excavators.

Haha... them ol men don't have any quit to em. I'm sure its becuase its his business & has to lead by example around the young whipper snappers...lol.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    @andre3k

You act those hoes are fuel hogs. Just fill them every morning from a truck mounted L tank and you are good good the day. We have been trenching for the last 4 years with large hoes and fuel has never been a problem.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    And there are many trades where a person might never make as much money as doctor or lawyer, but they can still make a very comfortable living.
    And that's the major point.

Psychological studies done all over the world, repeatedly, by different researchers, across large sample sizes, and under heavy peer scrutiny have consistently reached the same result. As long as you're making enough money to keep the debt collectors away you can have a happy life. It's up to you.

If his head is on right, a guy making $65K/year in most U.S. markets can be completely happy with his life while a maladjusted executive pulling down $10M/year can be downright miserable.

Once you're a surprisingly short distance above the poverty line, your happiness is something you make completely independently of how much money you have.

EZ-E

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    You act those hoes are fuel hogs. Just fill them every morning from a truck mounted L tank and you are good good the day. We have been trenching for the last 4 years with large hoes and fuel has never been a problem.

Depending on how much equipment he has, L tanks might be ok if your on 1 job site.
    If you have a couple on 4 job sites, with a couple bulldozers, dump trucks & skid steers mixed in. The time & labor to transport them to fuel up could be a couple hours of down time. Logistics isn't cheap to haul them things around to a station that has ag fuel... becuase its cheaper than DOT fuel. You fill up 1 truck & boumce it to differnt sites, the crews aren't standing around with nothing to do a for an hour or two.

EZ-E

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    And that's the major point.

Psychological studies done all over the world, repeatedly, by different researchers, across large sample sizes, and under heavy peer scrutiny have consistently reached the same result. As long as you're making enough money to keep the debt collectors away you can have a happy life. It's up to you.

If his head is on right, a guy making $65K/year in most U.S. markets can be completely happy with his life while a maladjusted executive pulling down $10M/year can be downright miserable.

Once you're a surprisingly short distance above the poverty line, your happiness is something you make completely independently of how much money you have.

Thats what i call stress trade off...lol.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Depending on how much equipment he has, L tanks might be ok if your on 1 job site.
    If you have a couple on 4 job sites, with a couple bulldozers, dump trucks & skid steers mixed in. The time & labor to transport them to fuel up could be a couple hours of down time. Logistics isn't cheap to haul them things around to a station that has ag fuel... becuase its cheaper than DOT fuel. You fill up 1 truck & boumce it to differnt sites, the crews aren't standing around with nothing to do a for an hour or two.
    If you have multiple pieces of equipment then you will have a designated fuel truck and use the L tanks on your pickups for top offs. When do you ever take your equipment off site to fill it? Finding off road diesel is often not convenient. Now that I think of it the Vac and water truck would go off site to fill up with road diesel. However, all excavating equipment is filled by L tanks on the pickups with off road diesel.

Last edited:

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    Coming into this thread a bit late, but I found over the years that there are three major factors in deciding how much land you can handle, both short and long term.

- Time

You cannot overestimate the impact of a larger piece of property on all of the above. I had the luxury of overseeing all the land development for a wealthy tribe a number of years ago and saw first hand what it takes to make a livible residence out of 50 - 200 acres of virgin or near virgin land. Having unlimited funds is one thing, but having to approve contracts and sign invoices for huge amounts of money is still very sobering. Roads, utilities, infrastructure, environmental and safety issues all must be resolved at large costs before the issue of home and outbuilding construction can even begin. After that, the maintenance component has to be factored in, something that is often overlooked.

With that said, if someone is 50 years old or younger, has plenty of liquid assets and an understanding family, then true rural living can be great. As for me, a few acres and a few dozen trees keep me hopping at my advanced age.

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    Coming into this thread a bit late, but I found over the years that there are three major factors in deciding how much land you can handle, both short and long term.

- Time

You cannot overestimate the impact of a larger piece of property on all of the above. I had the luxury of overseeing all the land development for a wealthy tribe a number of years ago and saw first hand what it takes to make a livible residence out of 50 - 200 acres of virgin or near virgin land. Having unlimited funds is one thing, but having to approve contracts and sign invoices for huge amounts of money is still very sobering. Roads, utilities, infrastructure, environmental and safety issues all must be resolved at large costs before the issue of home and outbuilding construction can even begin. After that, the maintenance component has to be factored in, something that is often overlooked.

With that said, if someone is 50 years old or younger, has plenty of liquid assets and an understanding family, then true rural living can be great. As for me, a few acres and a few dozen trees keep me hopping at my advanced age.

Absolutely.
    Im 60 working on my 10.5 ac spread bought about 5 yrs ago. Raw land when purchased.
    Just got power on it in March of this yr. Been doing prep work for yrs now basically every weekend.

Clearing etc in prep for building my retirement home.

Also have in town home so upkeep there as well as this place prep work is enough to keep my arse hoping.

Im planning to and doing as much as possible myself to save $$.

Gonna go the barndominum route large shop/barn with apartment inside type.

I am by no stretch a wealthy person. I am a single man who is putting everything I can spare in to this plan.

2 or so more yrs working then sell in town place which should provide enough capital to pay the land off and allow me to complete the infrastructure/house and hopefully have many yrs to enjoy “life” on the Donderosa as I call it.

This will be (is) my accommodations until completion.

d7c26bbf8d75c0f873b58f35438cfca9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    Well today is my last day in Dodge City. I'm looking forward to going back to my regular job and getting a break. Having been working from sunup to sundown everyday since last Friday, but I have learned a lot.

I will NOT be purchasing any heavy equipment for my property. For what I'm doing its easier to rent and not have to deal with the long term maintenance issues. I'm a better mechanic than an operator and spent the majority of my time here doing maintenance and keeping his machines running. I would guess he spends 25% of his time dealing with broken machines and chasing parts down.

I had to replace an alternator on a front end loader and swap new batteries into the motor grader. I'm still dealing with an oil leak on our rock crusher. He spent 120k on this thing and it's spent more time broken than crushing asphalt or concrete. But when we do get it running he'll make that money back quickly. Too bad his business isn't closer to Texas, I could do what needs to be done for the price of fuel.

I'm still on the lookout for a used 3/4 ton truck but it seems like they're in short supply here as well.
    a267f61d849a0444bf5c92fe50581488.jpg
    5e21d3da786096b5536284cf1e12702e.jpg

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    …I'm still on the lookout for a used 3/4 ton truck but it seems like they're in short supply here as well…

Short everywhere. Between limited production and delivery since last spring and a ton of new RV owners, good used 3/4 ton and up trucks are rare as hen’s teeth, especially if you’re looking for a gas motor.

Just a suggestion but most 3/4 tons all suffer the same problem…they’ve got only a small bumpy of payload over a HD payload 1/2 ton. While that’s a paper restriction, it ain’t that much more money (if any at all) to get into a 1 ton that opens up a whole lot more capability.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Well today is my last day in Dodge City. I'm looking forward to going back to my regular job and getting a break. Having been working from sunup to sundown everyday since last Friday, but I have learned a lot.

I will NOT be purchasing any heavy equipment for my property. For what I'm doing its easier to rent and not have to deal with the long term maintenance issues. I'm a better mechanic than an operator and spent the majority of my time here doing maintenance and keeping his machines running. I would guess he spends 25% of his time dealing with broken machines and chasing parts down.

I had to replace an alternator on a front end loader and swap new batteries into the motor grader. I'm still dealing with an oil leak on our rock crusher. He spent 120k on this thing and it's spent more time broken than crushing asphalt or concrete. But when we do get it running he'll make that money back quickly. Too bad his business isn't closer to Texas, I could do what needs to be done for the price of fuel.

I'm still on the lookout for a used 3/4 ton truck but it seems like they're in short supply here as well.
    a267f61d849a0444bf5c92fe50581488.jpg
    5e21d3da786096b5536284cf1e12702e.jpg

Take what you know & learned & get a part time job with someone doing the same type work as your FIL near you location. You might still be able to get the work done for fuel cost.

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    Well after renting a Tractor for one weekend that was over 800 O bought one.
    That one rental is 3 mo of pymnts.

Over 200 hrs on it on 2 yrs.

You may change your mind after a couple rentals.

I have always felt about tools of I use it more than once I will own one of um.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    Well after renting a Tractor for one weekend that was over 800 O bought one.
    That one rental is 3 mo of pymnts.

Over 200 hrs on it on 2 yrs.

You may change your mind after a couple rentals.

I have always felt about tools of I use it more than once I will own one of um.

I'll buy a tractor. But Im referring to heavy equipment like a bulldozer or a backhoe. The maintenance costs on old machines can get crazy. A mini excavator and a skid steer should be able to do everything I need right now. We'll see how renting goes.

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    I'll buy a tractor. But Im referring to heavy equipment like a bulldozer or a backhoe. The maintenance costs on old machines can get crazy. A mini excavator and a skid steer should be able to do everything I need right now. We'll see how renting goes.

Got this one for my place.
    Will buy BH attachment for it soon so I can dig my septic.
    26529943ca6558bc0cb62fde361693b4.jpg

35 hp 4wd.
    So far done what Ive asked of it.
    This was when delvd. It aint mear as pretty now.
    6111fa3011b1050926025364893747de.jpg

Top Bottom