East Texas land purchase

andre3k

TGT Supporter
Aug 8, 2008
Houston
I thought I'd throw this out and get some advice. I've been looking to purchase land in east Texas for the past few years. I finally have the funds to do it and I picked the area due it's proximity to Houston and land cost. I'm not purchasing primarily as an investment but as a recreational tract where I can hunt and have a place to take the wife and kids to get out of the city. The property I'm looking at is approximately 40 acres and located near the Jasper/Newton/Burkeville area. Current owners have travel trailers on it with blinds and feeders. My eventual goal is to just hunt / shoot on it for now, but I plan on clearing a few acres for a shop build and possible homesite later on. Here are my questions.

1. How's deer / hog hunting in East Texas? I know the deer are a lot more skittish and tend to be nocturnal
2. The land is currently hardwood / pine mixed and currently has a timber exemption. I want to clear some areas out, so how would I go about having some of the acreage harvested by a timber company?
3. I know counties can restrict shooting on land less than 50acres. Since this is already setup for hunting does anyone know if Newton County has restrictions on me setting up a small range to sight in my weapons. I've tried looking online and can't get a straight answer.

Is there anything else I need to know about purchasing land? I've bought and sold several homes but raw land is a bit different. Instead of purchasing a tractor I would like to buy a tracked skid steer do the majority of the land clearing myself for the underbrush and small trees.

Reactions: gll

1911'S 4 Me

Well-Known
TGT Supporter
Sep 13, 2018
Humble
I have 2 sisters that live in Burkeville ,actually about 15 miles from Burkeville near the dam. There are hunting camps and leases everywhere, so hunting must be good. I have seen coyotes eating dead deer on the side of the road, AND believe it or not a cupracobler.(sic) Ex nephew had a hunting lease just out of Burkeville going toward the lake. They shot deer and hogs.

Vaquero

Dog faced pony soldier
Apr 4, 2011
More West Central these days.
Lumber company comes and looks at your place and makes an offer. You accept and they go to work. There will be a logging road.

Hogs will be there. I never saw a deer while I was in that area.

You didn't ask, but I'm offering this.
I've never been to an area more racist than Jasper. I worked restoring power after hurricane Rita. '05.
And a lot of family trees don't fork.

Good luck.

gdr_11

Well-Known
Aug 1, 2014
Lumber company comes and looks at your place and makes an offer. You accept and they go to work. There will be a logging road.

Hogs will be there. I never saw a deer while I was in that area.

I've never been to an area more racist than Jasper. I worked restoring power after hurricane Rita. '05.
And a lot of family trees don't fork.

Good luck.
Almost spit my coffee all over the keyboard at that one

andre3k

TGT Supporter
Aug 8, 2008
Houston
I've never been to an area more racist than Jasper.
Pretty everyone I talked to said the same thing. I used to have a lease in Newton back in the day right after the James Byrd incident and that whole area felt really segregated. I can't control what other people think or do so I'm not letting that deter me. Plus I can arm a small 3rd world country so I should be ok.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1911'S 4 Me

Well-Known
TGT Supporter
Sep 13, 2018
Humble
Getting away from Jasper to Burkeville ,Hemphill is all the difference in the world. Most of Burkeville's school is African American.
Not absolutely positive but I think the sheriff just elected in Newton county is African America.
The state rep is also black and republican doing good things.

Axxe55

Just a man, and his dogs.
Dec 15, 2019
somewhere.....East Texas.
Jasper Texas, is pretty damned racist, or at least it use to be. This happened in 1998 in Jasper. Made the national news.

In June 1998, the murder of James Byrd Jr. catapulted Jasper into national news and led to the creation of the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act. Three men—John William King, Lawrence Russell Brewer, and Shawn Berry—were tried and convicted of capital murder. King and Brewer received the death penalty, while Berry, who was the only suspect who cooperated during the investigation and implicated King and Brewer, was sentenced to life in prison. Brewer was executed on September 21, 2011. King was executed on April 24, 2019.

Aside from that, East Texas is beautiful, full of deer and hogs. Great place if you keep away from the riff-raff and low-life scum.

Top Bottom