• ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

Yes, but some must “learn on the job”, of necessity.

The late Justin Wilson, my Mom’s next-door neighbor in the early & mid 1930’s, told that of his 3 blended careers, he began each with NO background.

As an early energy sector “Safety Engineer”, he was a Pioneer who had to improvise as he went.

Being in great demand, as spurred-on by insurance companies & plaintiff bar, Justin found himself travelling to distant places to give lectures on oilfield safety.

Although not a real “Cajun”, his Mom was part-French, and he had lived a while in Cajun Country.

Audiences weren’t all happy to have to attend his seminars, so he learned to crack a few Cajun jokes as icebreakers.

Once erroneously ID’d as “Cajun”, the same audiences then demanded Cajun foods, so he began to learn to cook.

As my Old Grannie would say: ”I never heard of that Boy trying to cook anything, but he surely could EAT!”

All turned-out well, and he became somewhat of a “Legend” in all three areas: Industrial Safety, Cajun Cooking, & as a Comedian.

So, carry-on, and do your “bestest” !

leVieux

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    I'd like to find a range where I can shoot from

<>

Yes, but some must “learn on the job”, of necessity.

The late Justin Wilson, my Mom’s next-door neighbor in the early & mid 1930’s, told that of his 3 blended careers, he began each with NO background.

As an early energy sector “Safety Engineer”, he was a Pioneer who had to improvise as he went.

Being in great demand, as spurred-on by insurance companies & plaintiff bar, Justin found himself travelling to distant places to give lectures on oilfield safety.

Although not a real “Cajun”, his Mom was part-French, and he had lived a while in Cajun Country.

Audiences weren’t all happy to have to attend his seminars, so he learned to crack a few Cajun jokes as icebreakers.

Once erroneously ID’d as “Cajun”, the same audiences then demanded Cajun foods, so he began to learn to cook.

As my Old Grannie would say: ”I never heard of that Boy trying to cook anything, but he surely could EAT!”

All turned-out well, and he became somewhat of a “Legend” in all three areas: Industrial Safety, Cajun Cooking, & as a Comedian.

So, carry-on, and do your “bestest” !

leVieux
    That is when I met him once. I was training on a couple of specific subjects and I would often be called in to elaborate on them after his general classes. Carolina Eastman was one of his favorite haunts back then.

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    For me the most comfortable way to carry is appendix inside the waste band. It's so comfortable I often forget I'm carrying. I think many if not most people that OC, are just trying to show off. There are few if any good reasons why OC is strategically beneficial. The element of surprise has been and is still the best strategic approach to a good outcome.

Deterrence always trumps needing a best “strategy“ in any conflict!

Just consider the FACT that armed guards are present at many venues (banks, courts, military installations, etc.) rather than concealed snipers.

It is a FACT of nature that predators, four-legged or two-legged, seek the weakest prey in order to increase their odds of success.

Just think of Granny from Beverly Hillbillies having a 10th degree black belt and a 25 year old Arnold Scharzenegger walking through a “rough” neighborhood. She certainly has the “element of surprise“ and the “strategic“ advantage. And she is also much more likely to be attacked!

Only trophy-seeking humans and movie bad guys go for the biggest, toughest target.

Last edited:

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Deterrence always trumps needing a best “strategy“ in any conflict!

Just consider the FACT that armed guards are present at many venues (banks, courts, military installations, etc.) rather than concealed snipers.

It is a FACT of nature that predators, four-legged or two-legged, seek the weakest prey in order to increase their odds of success.

Just think of Granny from Beverly Hillbillies having a 10th degree black belt and a 25 year old Arnold Scharzenegger walking through a “rough” neighborhood. She certainly has the “element of surprise“ and the “strategic“ advantage. And she is also much more likely to be attacked!

Only trophy-seeking humans and movie bad guys go for the biggest, toughest target.
    <>

<>

Let me give a REAL contrary example from recent Texas History:

In the late 1970’s & very early 1980’s Houston, there was a rash of armed robberies of several “Pilgrim Cleaners” locations.

The owner responded by installing one-way mirrored glass windows behind every cashier and placed officers sitting behind on stools with riot guns.

Their orders were to immediately shoot any armed rober in the face/head, w/o warning.

The robberies immediately ceased.

Soon the Preachers & “Civil Rights” hucksters were wailing “unfair” & “racist”.

But the then-Harris County D.A. John Holmes approved of the arrangements. The robberies never resumed.

There were some 30 Pilgrim locations, but only some 10 officers who rotated
    locations; so it was like Russian roulette for robbers. I don’t recall any robber actually getting shot; the threat worked well.

Today, we appreciate the “fear of unknown” related to some 10% of the population being secretly armed. Yet, we still use armed guards; so both have value and indications.

As I have repeatedly maintained here, there are times & places for either, or both.

leVieux

sb47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013
    another one of those old wives tales being perpetrated by many folks who advocate cc only unless you would like to show proof or evidencethat supports your statement!
    It's funny how those that demand proof of statements provide none for there own.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    It's funny how those that demand proof of statements provide none for there own.
    <>

The sheer number of variables and the irregular, sporadic nature of violent crime present enormous technical problems for any behavioral scientist trying to design & run a valid “study”.

Then, there is the anecdotal nature of evidence, coupled with the “not newsworthy” nature of “crimes avoided” reports.

We are left with personal experiences and “opinions”.

But, consider this, from experienced “common sense”: Would a small group be more or less likely to be attacked by criminals if all members were openly armed ? I think less likely. Does this apply to individuals? We don’t know.

For my own world, I have stopped several incipient street crimes. by firmly stating: “Don’t make me draw my (still fully concealed but in-hand) weapon!”

No honest debate is settled by others’ opinions, no matter how fervently held.

Back where we started !

leVieux

sb47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013
    <>

The sheer number of variables and the irregular, sporadic nature of violent crime present enormous technical problems for any behavioral scientist trying to design & run a valid “study”.

Then, there is the anecdotal nature of evidence, coupled with the “not newsworthy” nature of “crimes avoided” reports.

We are left with personal experiences and “opinions”.

But, consider this, from experienced “common sense”: Would a small group be more or less likely to be attacked by criminals if all members were openly armed ? I think less likely. Does this apply to individuals? We don’t know.

For my own world, I have stopped several incipient street crimes. by firmly stating: “Don’t make me draw my (still fully concealed but in-hand) weapon!”

No honest debate is settled by others’ opinions, no matter how fervently held.

Back where we started !

leVieux
    Your of an opinion I give a rats ass about your opinion.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Open carry;
    M67b.jpg

Concealed carry
    v40-1.jpg

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    The folks at the Warrior Poet Society channel have a discussion why you SHOULD open carry. Do they convince you?

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    I saw this a few days ago. No they did not.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    I agree, not convinced to open carry for several reasons. I would have to get a holster with level 1 or higher retention and train with new gear. I don't want to engage in conversations with public either pro/con about guns because they see my gun. Several retail places allow concealed carry but not open carry so I would be restricted.

BTW: Open carry became law in 2015 with LTC (and without in 2021) but it's rare to see such in Collin and Dallas county to this day. At least where I travel. With open carry I don't worry so much about accident of public seeing my gun.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I agree, not convinced to open carry for several reasons. I would have to get a holster with level 1 or higher retention and train with new gear. I don't want to engage in conversations with public either pro/con about guns because they see my gun. Several retail places allow concealed carry but not open carry so I would be restricted.

BTW: Open carry became law in 2015 with LTC (and without in 2021) but it's rare to see such in Collin and Dallas county to this day. At least where I travel. With open carry I don't worry so much about accident of public seeing my gun.
    <>

This site will not allow any rational discussion of that topic.

Good Luck !

<>

Noggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2016
    Any time the outside temp is more than 65F, I feel uncomfortable wearing more than one layer of clothing on my upper body. Therefore CC would mean having my weapon rubbing against my skin for much of the year, Consequently I almost always OC with shirt tucked. If I have to CC in HEB or somewhere I will untuck my shirt and CC putting up with the discomfort just for the time I am in there. For me OC is all about comfort and ease of access. I have OC'd in many places in Texas (though to be fair not the big cities I tend to avoid those), I've also OC'd in OK,CO,KS&MO. Only once was I questioned whether I had the right to carry (hotel reception in OK), other than that the only comments I have had have been complementary. What does surprise me though is nobody seems surprised by a guy with a very distinct British accent wearing a full sized 9mm in plain sight.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Beware the internet troll in this day and age. They can be quite mean and nasty like in any public forum.

Attachments

• download.jpg
      download.jpg
      11.9 KB · Views: 34

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Do folks really put all that thought into it?
    OC or CC depends pretty much on what I was doing already. If I was outside working on the place and leave, it stays OC. If it's dinner with Mrs Whistler, usually CC.
    Most of my OC holsters are retention but just so they don't fall/bounce out working around here.

Top Bottom