• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    I agree, not convinced to open carry for several reasons. I would have to get a holster with level 1 or higher retention and train with new gear. I don't want to engage in conversations with public either pro/con about guns because they see my gun. Several retail places allow concealed carry but not open carry so I would be restricted.

BTW: Open carry became law in 2015 with LTC (and without in 2021) but it's rare to see such in Collin and Dallas county to this day. At least where I travel. With open carry I don't worry so much about accident of public seeing my gun.
    Full ditto to @DougC:

I am glad that OC is legal , only from the point that I don't have to worry about the accidental glance of my weapon or printing. I am old and want that extra half second of reaction from coming from concealment.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    From the Truth about Guns blog;

Not far behind the intensity generated by well-worn topics like 9mm vs. .45 ACP and GLOCK vs. 1911 is the always controversial question about the advisability of open carry. Lots of experienced gun gurus you know and respect advise against it. From a practical standpoint, aside from the loss of the element of surprise when you carry openly, they argue that any advantage in quick deployment that open carry may give you is minimal.

Open carry isn’t just about getting to your gun more quickly. It’s also about increasing the probability that you won’t have to use it.

Another frequently overlooked point: the more people open carrying in a given location, the more effective the deterrent.

p.s. Since 2021 I have only seen open carry twice.

Attachments

• open-carry-768x576.jpeg
      open-carry-768x576.jpeg
      112.4 KB · Views: 34

ScottDLS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas

Not far behind the intensity generated by well-worn topics like 9mm vs. .45 ACP and GLOCK vs. 1911 is the always controversial question about the advisability of open carry. Lots of experienced gun gurus you know and respect advise against it. From a practical standpoint, aside from the loss of the element of surprise when you carry openly, they argue that any advantage in quick deployment that open carry may give you is minimal.

Open carry isn’t just about getting to your gun more quickly. It’s also about increasing the probability that you won’t have to use it.

Another frequently overlooked point: the more people open carrying in a given location, the more effective the deterrent.

I've only seen it 3 or 4 times since 2016 when it became legal (with LTC) and I've only done it 3 or 4 times myself.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Texas is hot more months out of the year than cold. I open carry during those times (where it's legal). Out of comfort, and out of the fact I don't want to sweat on my gun. It hasn't been an issue all this time I've open carried, so why make an issue of it now?

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Full ditto to @DougC:

I am glad that OC is legal , only from the point that I don't have to worry about the accidental glance of my weapon or printing. I am old and want that extra half second of reaction from coming from concealment.
    I see so called printing ans exposed guns everyday and have yet to talk to anyone that's ever been hassled.

Mine showed evertime I pull my wallet or car keys from my pockets and I have a habit of pulling on and stretching my shirt all day. Last thing I'd ever worry about.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine

<>

Growing-up in the trans-Sabine, where OC was NEVER prohibited, I often OC’d as kid.

Back then, it was minimally for defense against crime, just more something we did if we had a gun on us or if we were going somewhere where we anticipated need. My hometown was like ‘’Mayberry’’ then, but today there are 5 or 6 shootings/month, virtually all over drug deals.

OC Was probably more common that CC, which was technically illegal, but ‘’everyone did it’’. Dad was President of a small town bank and often carried a 1911 w/o holster, just stuck into waistband.

Carrying was rarely discussed as an issue. Most we heard was ’’Which Colt is that?’’.

I had S&W aficionado Uncles, one on each side of the Family; so that was often a tease, like asking Moonpie about his GLOCK.

Today, I rarely O C, and always have another concealed at the time.

I have noted that in nearby New Mexico, licensed CC folks are limited to ONE non-open gun.

Sometimes, both here and in Texas, I’ll spot someone CC’ing, and thank them for being armed. Lots of folks don’t realize that they are ‘’printing’’ or exposed until someone tells them.

One more ‘’incident’’: Some 15 years back, midday, I was shopping in the Houston Montrose Fiesta Market, and felt a hand on my well concealed IWB G26. I had been taught a maneuver involving ‘’spin, slap, weak hand chin thrust, and grab my gun. Fortunately something stopped me. I turned to find a confused elderly woman, the picture of innocence. Had I spun, she could have been seriously injured. Really made me think.

Doug, your observations are very appropriate and pertinent. Too many have unwarranted emotional issues tied to this basic question.

Thanks agan,

leVieux

<>

<>

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I'll just put this out there: I dream of a day that people visiting Texas take away that you don't want to mess with Texas, not just because they saw a sign on the side of the road.
    <>

And I dream of the Old Days, when we really didn’t need to carry guns except for fun things. . . . .

Pre LBJ!

So sad that the ‘’Texan President’’ was the most evil until Obama.

<>

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I've only known a few who chose to open carry. Generally, they had few problems with OC but occassionally they some panic stricken liberal would call the police, at the sight of a gun. Their most frequent problem was disruption from their activities by strangers wanting to give their opinions on a citizen carrying a gun. I prefer to CC as I don't care to need to defend my choice to be armed, as I'm going about my business. While working as a Range Safety Officer it was still preferable to me to CC my pistol.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I've only known a few who chose to open carry. Generally, they had few problems with OC but occassionally they some panic stricken liberal would call the police, at the sight of a gun. Their most frequent problem was disruption from their activities by strangers wanting to give their opinions on a citizen carrying a gun. I prefer to CC as I don't care to need to defend my choice to be armed, as I'm going about my business. While working as a Range Safety Officer it was still preferable to me to CC my pistol.
    If only there was a way to combat people's phobias?

Armybrat

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    <>

Several years back, one of those ’’panic stricken’’ libs called Houston 911 to report a JEEP with a mounted machinegun in rush hour traffic.

HPD finally stopped the poor Guy to find a Hi-LIft jack in a bracket set.

But, his jack was painted BLACK !

<>
    Obviously an assault jack

Top Bottom