• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    ….The military has it figured out that one universal camouflage is not the best...

Oh know we don’t, but I give props to the Navy for their digital blueberry pattern. Sailor falls in the ocean wearing that shit and nobody’ll ever see ‘em again.

Despite all the ‘study’ put behind DoD pattern choices, keep in mind they all came from the lowest bidder. The patterns exist to keep everyone as uniform as possible (per service that is). Any field effectiveness is pure bonus.
    Texas SOT

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I take it back...there was one environment the Army's ACU pattern blended in to...

img_6425.jpg

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    But camo is “the new black.”

It can be worn anywhere and camo pants coordinate with any color shirt, and visa versa.

You can wear it to church, and you can wear it to Dairy Queen.
    You can wear it to a fancy restaurant, and you can wear it to your court appearance.
    You can wear it to a wedding, or you can wear it to a funeral.
    You can wear it to war, and you can wear it hunting Bambi.

Your options are endless with any camo pattern.

I especially think that women look great wearing camo…. Just imagine a voluptuous woman wearing an itsy bitsy camo string bikini…. If that doesn’t make your Mister Happy stand at attention, you should check your pulse!

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Speaking on this, but an expert by no means. Being quiet and still when hunting game animals is the most important aspect. This weekend while hunting, I wore blue jeans, a (navy) blue tee, a dry duck coat (navy), why? I was sitting in a blind that was darkened from behind and two sides. This was my camo, I was so still and so quiet that the wrens were coming into the blind with me. Slow movements and quiet, IMO is more important, also being aware of the wind and its direction to carry your scent.
    I read an article a few years back about a hunter who came from Michigan to NM and CO. every year to hunt Elk. He had two or three Elk in the Top ten of the Pope and Young book. He only wore wool for its warmth and quietness.( no Camo ) He said sound, movement and wind were all the elements you needed control to be sucessful. I know I have called coyotes, bobcat, owls and hawks on me wearing no camo.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Ever watch a hunting show and, while the host is decked out in thousands of dollars in camo and gun, the guide is wearing a barn coat, hat, and jeans? That should tell you something about the importance of camo while hunting.....
    Yeah, you don't need the camo. Deer don't see color the same way we do. Unless you're walking out in the woods wearing bright blue, you're probably fine as far as your clothes go. They can't see red or orange worth a damn. It just blends in with the greens to them.

There's a reason people used to go hunting wearing red flannel. It works.

Opening-Day-1950-photo-3-1024x645.png

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I’ll throw my .02 in. If you are hunting in a blind,( especially an elevated blind) CAMO makes very little difference, it is your silhouette that will get you busted.

If you are hunting on the ground, blending in is extremely important unless you are hunting long range ( 300+ yards)

Deer and pigs are very spooky and even in good camo you need to be still and limit movement until you are ready to shoot.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    Wearing camo while hunting is an exercise in vanity. I did some search and rescue in Colorado , it is damn hard to spot lost folk in the forest...if they hide with camo then Darwin will claim them. The only valid reason I can see is that surplus or issue cammies are some of the most durable and practical woodsman wear found anywhere.....please wear your orange vest and hat....not a single season went by in Colorado without a hunter being shot....then the seacrh and rescue as mentioned.I was hunting the Sam Houston nasty forest one swampy morning when a hunter decked in full camo with "rattle antlers" drapped around his neck walked right under my tree without seeing me. I saw the antlers before I saw him! I was wearing orange.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Wearing camo while hunting is an exercise in vanity. I did some search and rescue in Colorado , it is damn hard to spot lost folk in the forest...if they hide with camo then Darwin will claim them. The only valid reason I can see is that surplus or issue cammies are some of the most durable and practical woodsman wear found anywhere.....please wear your orange vest and hat....not a single season went by in Colorado without a hunter being shot....then the seacrh and rescue as mentioned.I was hunting the Sam Houston nasty forest one swampy morning when a hunter decked in full camo with "rattle antlers" drapped around his neck walked right under my tree without seeing me. I saw the antlers before I saw him! I was wearing orange.
    >

Maybe, but:

Most of us hunt on cattle ranches, and the cattle do “alert” to the orange garments, secondarily alerting other critters.

So, I do wear the orange, but often hunt w/o, when legal.

White definitely scares doves, while it is ignored by geese & ducks.

Your choice. I’ve found that mixed tans, grays, & browns w/o cam patterns work well in a lot of situations.

leVieux

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    >

Maybe, but:

Most of us hunt on cattle ranches, and the cattle do “alert” to the orange garments, secondarily alerting other critters.

Your choice. I’ve found that mixed tans, grays, & browns w/o cam patterns work well in a lot of situations.

leVieux

The original point of post was that commercial camo patterns are too small an too homogenous for most real hunting situations.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    >

Maybe, but:

leVieux
    Almost all of my hunting is done on the family ranch in the Panhandle, no one allowed to hunt without a family member present... we meet up at the well, drink coffee and pick our spots...everyone who leaves their spot has to wear orange. My little 13 acres in Colorado backs up to the national forest which has no public access nearby. I wear orange there due to idiots trespassing, twice with local mounted hunting guides!

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Meh.....I'd just call a strike on the grid square.....
    Inverted V and a shadow gives you away, even though your right leg looks a little bendy. I’m guessing that’s an artifact of scaling the photo though.
    You guys are the real deal. May I serve next to you when the commies come?

Top Bottom