425.4 KB · Views: 87

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I don't recommend this, but....
    Once upon a time I had a cute girl stay over. In the morning her jeep wouldn't start because she left the radio on. I didn't have a pair of Jumper cables around or any thick gauge wire. I decided to use an old PS2 controller. I cut the wire in half stripped the ends and clamped them onto my trucks battery terminals, while I held the other ends onto her battery terminals. That controller wire nearly went up in flames when she cranked her jeep over. It started though and she got herself the hell out of my place. Best use of an old PS2 controller I've ever had. Okay maybe a little San Andreas was a better use at the time. Still I'm shocked that it worked.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I hate to say, most of them are so cheaply made these days, your better off making some from bulk 2 ga cable. I've had countless customers call me out saying their car wouldn't start with jumper cables. Popped on my noco booster pack and they fire right up. Usually it's the crappy clamps with a chicken shit chunk of copper only on one side of the clamp, coupled with thin gauge Chinese cable with insulation so thick you think it's heavy cable but it's 8 or 6 gauge at best.

TXAZ

:)
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    South of the Red, North of the Gulf
    I've heard of that before, I think some folks call it "docking" - you may need to google just to be sure.
    Yep I believe that’s right.
    we had a crappy set of jumpers that wouldn’t turn the starter. Touched bumpers, put both cheap aluminum jumpers from positiv to positive on the batteries and Viola!

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    The quality of jumpers definitely has gone to shit.

What's really embarassing is AAA's own branded auto-rescue kits that have jumper cables, first aid kit etc had such shitty jumper cables as to be next to useless.

And TexMex is spot on - the typical cables now have absolute dogshit clamps, only connected on one side, with piss poor conductivity on the actual connected side, and way too small of a wire to be effective.

I've rolled up on calls where customers were trying to jump shit themselves, and despite having it connected "properly" - the cables were hot as **** from all the resistance, and the car still wouldn't start. Throw a jump box on it and BAM, fired right up. Except diesels. Fucking hate jump starting diesels when the batteries are drained. Too many times I've needed the truck's cables + two jump boxes to jump off a diesel. Goes from a 5 minute $35 call to a 45 minute $35 call. Working comission at 33% that meant going from $20-30 / hr average to $12. Upshot was that dead diesels were usually easier to sell new batteries to (unless they had new batteries in them and guy legit just left their lights on for a day) so we'd get a $300+ sale fairly easy out of those scenarios when I ran a battery service company. Paid our guys hourly + bonus so if they were in bonus territory, they could make their wage ($18 hr typically) + 15% so they'd wind up making about $40 for that hour of work.

Top Bottom