• leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    >

A minor “RANT”:

Commercial and military camo patterns all seem too small.

see: https://www.istockphoto.com/photos/camo-pattern

As one who spent a lifetime studying “pattern recognition” in another field; the very purpose of “camouflage” is to inhibit recognition of an object in one’s field of view.

We simply don’t have the technology to prevent “seeing” camouflaged objects; the goal of all camo is to prevent or delay recognition.

”Uniform” camo patterns simply can’t work well unless the background & surroundings are uniform.

This means that having clothing patterns too small and too “uniform”, we are defeating the very purpose of camo. Recall all those great “RealTree” ad photos, which have carefully selected & managed uniform backgrounds. Check larger patterns employed to conceal naval vessels.

But I ask, where in Nature do we find completely uniform environmental patterns? Maybe in pine forest overheads, the sea, or fields of wildflowers; but rarely in hunting environments.

Is there a simple solution or “help” for us hunters?

The most obvious and most cost-efficient is to mix patterns in our dress. Of couirse, choose patterns for seasonal color changes. Try grays & browns for trousers and more mixed greens & tans for upper body. More vertical patterns are likely to mimic grasses, weeds, and brush trunks. Remember that the higher one looks, the more light sky is included, be it gray or blue.

I’ve been mixing medium gray garments with various camo patterns for decades, with some success.

Don’t have all your stuff in one pattern.

leVieux
    Capitol Armory ad

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Ever watch a hunting show and, while the host is decked out in thousands of dollars in camo and gun, the guide is wearing a barn coat, hat, and jeans? That should tell you something about the importance of camo while hunting.....
    Look at the people who shoot eeeeer hunt Africa and the so called PH guide hey shoot that one. They wear No camo but some of their overly adventurous clients haul their camo all the way there to fill the void that doesn't exist. Oh crap I kinda got off track a bit sorry.

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    I agree with those that have pointed out that camo is irelevant to most animal hunting scenarios. Why buy and wear camo, when the state makes you wear bright orange?

That said, I like the older pattern we had before the digital changeover. Woodlands, Desert (chocolate chip), Arctic, and Urban, being similar patterns with different colors seemed to work fine for me. On the several times I got lost in the woods, that old style camo often prevented me from finding myself.

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Speaking on this, but an expert by no means. Being quiet and still when hunting game animals is the most important aspect. This weekend while hunting, I wore blue jeans, a (navy) blue tee, a dry duck coat (navy), why? I was sitting in a blind that was darkened from behind and two sides. This was my camo, I was so still and so quiet that the wrens were coming into the blind with me. Slow movements and quiet, IMO is more important, also being aware of the wind and its direction to carry your scent.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    The Mossy Oak BRUSH camo has become one of my favorites. But I always like Realtree HD when hunting oak patches... like i have on my property.

If I'm in a blind... black

Mossy oak brush
    Mossy-Oak-Brush-9-15-brush-5.jpg

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I agree with those that have pointed out that camo is irelevant to most animal hunting scenarios. Why buy and wear camo, when the state makes you wear bright orange?

That said, I like the older pattern we had before the digital changeover. Woodlands, Desert (chocolate chip), Arctic, and Urban, being similar patterns with different colors seemed to work fine for me. On the several times I got lost in the woods, that old style camo often prevented me from finding myself.
    Woodland is a touch too dark.

Multicam and ATACS in their variations are truly the best out there. MC has both micro and macro patterns and colors that work really well in a lot of places.

There is a lot more to camouflage that the clothes you wear... for most animals I think it is not needed in the least and is just a "thing you do".

I wear camo outside often because they are usually cheap and durable and the hard to see part is just a bonus.

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I've been using the Realtree Max1 hunting in the hill country and also in Colorado and Wyoming. In most cases for those areas it blends in really well.

For heavily wooded areas I use Realtree Hardwoods.

But I agree that if you are in a blind it doesn';t matter much.

max1 realtree.jpg

Last edited:

hullhullhull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2022
    El Paso
    Speaking on this, but an expert by no means. Being quiet and still when hunting game animals is the most important aspect. This weekend while hunting, I wore blue jeans, a (navy) blue tee, a dry duck coat (navy), why? I was sitting in a blind that was darkened from behind and two sides. This was my camo, I was so still and so quiet that the wrens were coming into the blind with me. Slow movements and quiet, IMO is more important, also being aware of the wind and its direction to carry your scent.
    I agree 100% with this. My grandpa had some state of the art camo he introduced me to when I first started hunting deer. It was called be still and be quiet. He killed many deer in Nebraska. Waterfowl hunting is a bit different and I agree that turkey hunting is a different ball of wax again.

The military has it figured out that one universal camouflage is not the best. Multicam works kinda okay in many environments, and kinda poorly in many. Same thing with Woodland. Budget is a concern here.

The best camo money can buy is locally oriented for a particular use based on season and is combined with what my grandpa knew, sit still and be quiet.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    My orange hunter safety jacket always destroys the camo effects...

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Camo and the orange jacket work exceptionally well tougher if you are hiding in a pumpkin patch or an orange grove.

Top Bottom