• ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    New guy here so please be kind.

I'm moving to Texas in a few months. I'm coming from NJ and am fairly up to date on NJ firearms sale/possession law. Texas is a VERY different place. If anyone can give a Reader's Digest synopsis of what is gtg as far as private sales I'd really appreciate it.
    And, honestly, how do I purchase from a FFL? What paperwork do I need when I walk in, etc?
    I'm trying to get my ducks in a row and don't want to be completely ignorant when I get down there.

Thanks a bunch.

The main peculiarity in Texas is that it is perfectly "legal" to carry long guns most places, but open carry of handguns has byzantine restrictions, even for those licensed. The new "Constitutional Concealed Carry" Law is great, but has its set of restrictions. a knowledgeable person on here just posted about this here; please review the discussions on that "forum". Just don't do anything stupid and you'll be OK. Never hide that you have a weapon from a L E O.

Welcome to the South ! The South has risen again, and is led by Texas this time.

leVieux
    Capitol Armory ad

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    There is a residency requirement for a permit. But you don't need a permit if you follow the rules. Make sure you understand the rules.

leVieux
    411.172 of Gov't Code says legal resident for 6 months preceding date of application BUT 411.173 NONRESIDENT LICENSE says in part:

" Texas Government Code
    Sec. 411.173
    Nonresident License

(a)

The department by rule shall establish a procedure for a person who meets the eligibility requirements of this subchapter other than the residency requirement established by Section 411.172 (Eligibility)(a)(1) to obtain a license under this subchapter if the person is a legal resident of another state or if the person relocates to this state with the intent to establish residency in this state. The procedure must include payment of a fee in an amount sufficient to recover the average cost to the department of obtaining a criminal history record check and investigation on a nonresident applicant. A license issued in accordance with the procedure established under this subsection: (1)
    remains in effect until the license expires under Section 411.183 (Expiration); and (2)
    may be renewed under Section 411.185 (License Renewal Procedure)."

Looks like that gets you around the 6-month residency requirement wait...an LTC instructor will 'splain it if I'm wrong.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Thought you have to be a resident of Texas for a time too?
    Just to buy a gun, you need Id that has a photo (not a temporary paper Dr. Lic). If you don't want to wait till your permanent Dr. Lic. arrives, you can use a passport AND a Vehicle registration, which will give you the TX address, photo, and the other required info...see here:
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/what-form-identification-must-licensee-obtain-transferee-firearm

When you're waiting, days seem like weeks...we've all been through that misery.

A shorter option that is LEGAL...is that, once you're a resident (temp. Driver's License/Lease/Utility account, etc.) you can LEGALLY be given a gun as a gift by another resident of Texas. They have to buy it with THEIR money...can't use yours. So if you can't wait...get really antsy...find someone who lives in Texas who REALLY loves you! (Always had to buy my own.):(

*****Looking online, TX may have pics on some of their temp Driver's Licenses...didn't when I got mine but I just realized how long ago that was...so it may have changed. Found a page with a couple different TX ones with pictures. Whaddaya expect from a guy old enough to know about rotary dial pay phones?!

Last edited:

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    411.172 of Gov't Code says legal resident for 6 months preceding date of application BUT 411.173 NONRESIDENT LICENSE says in part:

" Texas Government Code
    Sec. 411.173
    Nonresident License

(a)

The department by rule shall establish a procedure for a person who meets the eligibility requirements of this subchapter other than the residency requirement established by Section 411.172 (Eligibility)(a)(1) to obtain a license under this subchapter if the person is a legal resident of another state or if the person relocates to this state with the intent to establish residency in this state. The procedure must include payment of a fee in an amount sufficient to recover the average cost to the department of obtaining a criminal history record check and investigation on a nonresident applicant. A license issued in accordance with the procedure established under this subsection: (1)
    remains in effect until the license expires under Section 411.183 (Expiration); and (2)
    may be renewed under Section 411.185 (License Renewal Procedure)."

Looks like that gets you around the 6-month residency requirement wait...an LTC instructor will 'splain it if I'm wrong.

Thanks,
    leVieux

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Just to buy a gun, you need Id that has a photo (not a temporary paper Dr. Lic). If you don't want to wait till your permanent Dr. Lic. arrives, you can use a passport AND a Vehicle registration, which will give you the TX address, photo, and the other required info...see here:
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/what-form-identification-must-licensee-obtain-transferee-firearm

A shorter option that is LEGAL...is that, once you're a resident (temp. Driver's License/Lease/Utility account, etc.) you can LEGALLY be given a gun as a gift by another resident of Texas. They have to buy it with THEIR money...can't use yours. So if you can't wait...get really antsy...find someone who lives in Texas who REALLY loves you! (Always had to buy my own.):(

*****Looking online, TX may have pics on some of their temp Driver's Licenses...didn't when I got mine but I just realized how long ago that was...so it may have changed. Found a page with a couple different TX ones with pictures. Whaddaya expect from a guy old enough to know about rotary dial pay phones?!

Isn't that to buy a HANDGUN? I've bought long guns in Texas since moving to LA a decade back.
    I keep a Texas LTC, but am told that doesn't matter. . . . .

leVieux

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

the temporary is valid govt issued I’d. At least the last one I got was.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Isn't that to buy a HANDGUN? I've bought long guns in Texas since moving to LA a decade back.
    I keep a Texas LTC, but am told that doesn't matter. . . . .

leVieux
    Sure, and the ATF 4473 (background check through NICS) rigamarole is where the photo ID requirement comes into play...all gun purchases through FFL since 1968. Then there's the resident of the same state as the FFL is licensed in rule.

Then they make this exception, which is how you bought long guns in TX as a LA resident. https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-licensee-sell-firearm-nonlicensee-who-resident-another-state

I'm really surprised they haven't changed that because of their focus on EBR.

Notice with all these hoops we law-abidin' folks have to jump through...the BG isn't slowed down a bit...he just does what he wants. Our
    gov't labors under the misconception that more laws=less crime. A 4-year-old could tell you different.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    They used to not have a photo on them...did yours have a photo?
    They have for as long as I've had a driver's license. When was the last time you renewed?
    2019...but they didn't mail me a temp...just the new permanent one. I haven't seen a temp paper one in years.

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    New guy here so please be kind.

I'm moving to Texas in a few months. I'm coming from NJ and am fairly up to date on NJ firearms sale/possession law. Texas is a VERY different place. If anyone can give a Reader's Digest synopsis of what is gtg as far as private sales I'd really appreciate it.
    And, honestly, how do I purchase from a FFL? What paperwork do I need when I walk in, etc?
    I'm trying to get my ducks in a row and don't want to be completely ignorant when I get down there.

Thanks a bunch.

:welcome:

Hope you enjoy your time here in Texas when you get here. I imagine it is going to be a hell of a lot better than New Jersey!

Dave Z

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2021
    Roanoke, TX
    The new temporary drivers license's have the same photo that your hard copy will have on it and it says on it that it is acceptable in all instances where a drivers license is accepted. It has its own expiration date that is separate from the hard copy license.
    I used mine at the TSA to board an airliner.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DSDExpresso
    Top Bottom