• ...and so much more!
  • Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    One poor man was terrified and his cat was too. Get PETA in there to console the poor cat.

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    thinking ammonium nitrate?

im thinking some kind of primed tannerite was used just because it would be our luck to give them a nice excuse to BAN something fun.
    ANFO - Ammonium Nitrate Fuel Oil is a possibility. Excellent bang for your buck - no pun intended.

Academic question: Would a pound of tannerite be enough to set off an ANFO charge? Does tannerite propagate fast enough to do the trick?

My research materials on the subject precede tannerite by a decade or three so I am attempting to fill some gaps.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Academic question: Would a pound of tannerite be enough to set off an ANFO charge? Does tannerite propagate fast enough to do the trick?

My research materials on the subject precede tannerite by a decade or three so I am attempting to fill some gaps.
    For the good of the forum, academic questions like that should be left to academics. TGT isn't the place to discuss the how-it's-done questions in any but the most general sense.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

Fwiw, I asked my "little brother" event about this (Ed is one of those folks about who it is said, "IF you see me running, better catch up.") event & he believes that the "attempted bomber " managed to blow himself up because the MAIN tonnage of the payload was not yet loaded.
    (Driving about with an RV full of explosives, when it is unnecessary is CERTAINLY a poor idea.)

Note: BBC World News at 2300 said that, "- - - the presence of human remains" inside the bombed-out RV "is confirmed".

yours, satx

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I have been watching the news all night. No word. You take the day shift catch me up tonight.

They keep saying they are investigating whether or not the "remains" are connected with the explosion. Strangley worded, I keep thinking "how often do you find remains, human or otherwise, near a blast and its not related to said blast?" Obviously its connected, even if it was just an unlucky guy walking by at the wrong moment.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Am I just missing all the damage to the buildings?
    Was it more of a fireball than anything?
    My observation as well. Cars are torched and not heavily damaged from blast. Tannerite/AN doesn't produce much heat other than friction. It certainly doesn't set stuff on fire. Like a gas explosion would.

Last edited:

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    I heard on one news report the speculation that it was more of a pyrotechnic explosion. Guy pointed out that unlike Oklahoma City, there was no crater, and the smoke afterwards was black.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    There's significant structural damage to a number of buildings. That having been said, most were 100+ years old, constructed primarily of brick and mortar - not a really "strong" building in terms of lateral force resistance. Someone was out to cause damage to a specific business, hence the "clear the area" warning originating from the RV prior to the blast.
    My money is that it was a former AT&T employee that felt wronged by them and was looking to do a maximum amount of damage to their infrastructure.

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    Everything needs said the RV was l parked in front of an AT&T phone office (place where a lot of communication equipment is installed). Since the bomber seemed to be warning people that there was a bomb, I'm going to venture that he was going after AT&T.
    OMG! And AT&T owns CNN! Fox must have done the deed.

Top Bottom