• ...and so much more!
  • Lead Belly

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    Many of these outages were preventable months and years ago had there been proper tree trimming. I've worked at places that have trees pushing on big commercial-sized wires and they have been informed but ignored for 5 years- I even pointed it out to the crew that was there for different outage- meh, they said.

Daughter is at end-of-the line and said she counted 4 locations with trees down and they surveyed today. I told her count on week or 2 of no ac, so they went to hotel across the LA border- princes a bit cranky today.

I guess these guys like the overtime pay better than regular maintenance trimming.

MountainGirl

Hovering
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Big Thicket
    - Not gonna lie, I was scared but, all tolled it coulda been a helluva a lot worse!
    - Thankfully no property damage and now I know where my metal roof needs a few more screws.
    - I have failed miserably to properly exercise the generator but thanks to Stabil and running the carb dry before storage, it started 1st pull. Yeah!
    - A neighbor at the end of my power line had a tree removed just last week leaving her only one massive pine and you'll never guess where it fell. Yep, right between the last two poles, fortunately missing our 'hood owned wastewater plant. Since that line affects 10 homes max, we may be near the bottom for service restoration. :mad:
    - After the storm I spoke to a weekender who was frantically headed out on the water to look for his missing pontoon which was "tied up good" in a slip. 30sec later I spoke to his wife who said "I leave the keys in it because nothing ever happens around here but remove the depth finder, go figure".

It seems everyone who has posted escaped major damages or injuries and that's great. Be safe during the aftermath too.
    Very glad you're okay. :)

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Many of these outages were preventable months and years ago had there been proper tree trimming. I've worked at places that have trees pushing on big commercial-sized wires and they have been informed but ignored for 5 years- I even pointed it out to the crew that was there for different outage- meh, they said....
    I guess these guys like the overtime pay better than regular maintenance trimming.
    This seems to be a common issue with utility companies. My house outside of memphis is in a community that has the power out, due to long overdue tree trimming.

Rafe

Foxtrot Kilo Hotel
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    General Htown Area
    Other than I heard the out of town crews weren’t in Houston before the storm, what else is he upset about?

Gotta also do a little reading between the lines here:

May be some CYA going on about readiness of resources from the state, but clearly 2.2 million customers out of power and 1.5 million of them still dark 36 hours later doesn't sound like a very prepared response.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    Gotta also do a little reading between the lines here:

May be some CYA going on about readiness of resources from the state, but clearly 2.2 million customers out of power and 1.5 million of them still dark 36 hours later doesn't sound like a very prepared response.
    You’re right, but I do think some of it is on property owners to take care of their trees, or not plant huge trees next to power lines. I wish we would bury more of the lines here.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    Many of these outages were preventable months and years ago had there been proper tree trimming. I've worked at places that have trees pushing on big commercial-sized wires and they have been informed but ignored for 5 years- I even pointed it out to the crew that was there for different outage- meh, they said.

Daughter is at end-of-the line and said she counted 4 locations with trees down and they surveyed today. I told her count on week or 2 of no ac, so they went to hotel across the LA border- princes a bit cranky today.

Trees don’t push on primary conductors. Ever.

I can guaranfuckingtee you that 99 percent of us would rather not be working 16 hour days for 2+ weeks straight.
    It’s certainly not up to “these guys” on how much right of way trimming gets done or how often.
    Your way off base.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston

I went exploring on the dirt bike yesterday during a calm period. Yes, there were large limbs on some of the lines, but there were also full trees that blew over. I suppose by thinning the canopy the sail effect could be reduced, but many of the trees.
    would seem to be the care of the property owner due to the distance they were from the lines.

I did get a pic of a telephone pole that was snapped in half with no trees anywhere near the pole. Still trying to figure out how that one happened
    D7BA39F9-A475-4D76-9B66-6107171FB2E4.jpeg

Rafe

Foxtrot Kilo Hotel
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    General Htown Area
    CenterPoint spokesperson live on Houston's KPRC TV at 06:05 Wednesday, July 10: 1.3 million customers still without power.

That means 59% of the customer accounts that lost power 49 or more hours ago are still without electricity.

CenterPoint took down the previous online outage map because "too many individuals and third-party companies were accessing it" and it couldn't handle the load. In its place is a "power restoration map" showing the progress of service restoral, and early next year CenterPoint plans to launch a new, cloud-based version of the outage map. They seem very pleased about that progress.

I continue to be underwhelmed by CenterPoint's performance, and have been for about 20 years. It was solid in the '90s, but has slowly come to seem about as reliable as that of some "developing" countries I've lived in.

I have only a rudimentary understanding of the challenges CenterPoint faces, but they reported a fiscal 2023 profit of $867 million; the 2022 profit was $1.01 billion. Our consumer electricity costs keep going up, while service reliability keeps going down. My simple mind says that there's something misaligned about this picture.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Center points "outage tracker" has been out for 2 months.
    They have a new outage tracking map that allegedly will show when you've been energized, when you're on the schedule, or if they're still figuring things out. Problem is the map isn't accurate. Some areas with power show they haven't assessed the damage, some areas without power show energized, etc.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    They have a new outage tracking map that allegedly will show when you've been energized, when you're on the schedule, or if they're still figuring things out. Problem is the map isn't accurate. Some areas with power show they haven't assessed the damage, some areas without power show energized, etc.

That sounds helpful...

:green:

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I’m typing this on my phone.
    Lake Jackson is still a wreck. Power is still out to most of town.
    AT&T really shit the bed on this one. No service in LJ.
    I can get signal up by Angleton.
    Kroger, HEB, and a couple of Buc-ee’s are open.
    One restaurant opened yesterday.
    Ice and gas are in short supply.
    Trying to sleep in a shut up house blows. Can’t open up because the farkin mosquitoes. And they’ll get worse over the next few days.
    Got almost all the mess around my house cleaned up.
    Also trying to take care of the mother in law. She has more damage than me. She won’t leave her house because of her fvcking house cats.
    And this morning my bank sent me a message my debit card got hacked.
    FML

Top Bottom