Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Remembering back to his time in office, it's entirely possible he's too stupid to die.
    He was lots of things but not stupid. The man was highly intelligent but, unfortunately, it seems he was also selectively uneducated.

"Selectively uneducated" is a very common state of being, on all sides of every topic.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    He was lots of things but not stupid. The man was highly intelligent but, unfortunately, it seems he was also selectively uneducated.

"Selectively uneducated" is a very common state of being, on all sides of every topic.

High intelligence and high ignorance often go together - usually due to arrogance.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas

I was in college when he got elected. I remember my physics prof teeing off on him because he - a man who once served on a nuclear submarine - could not pronounce the word, "nuclear". Jimmy would say something close to "nu-cuh-ler". Carter's "Georgia Mafia" was little more than a gang of thieves and several ended up in prison. I don't think Carter was crooked, but he didn't a pool of people around him that knew how to run things. He was also a micromanager, as evidenced by the way the White House screwed up the hostage rescue attempt in Iran. (Let's face it, the Allatollah played him like a sock puppet.) In later years, Jimmy tried to win public sentiment by working with Habitat for Humanity. People I knew that were hard core volunteers at that organization hated him. They said he'd show up, pose for pictures driving a nail, and then leave without so much as waving to the other people working the job. Fake news ate it up, of course. He has managed to live long enough to have not one, but two presidents worse than him: Obama and Biden.

As much as I despised Carter, I always felt sorry for his brother, Billy. Billy was just a good old boy who ran a gas station and tried to take care of his family. He was surrounded by people trying to make money off of his name (remember "Billy Beer?") and eventually got suckered into an investment deal with some Saudis that was illegal. He lost everything and then died of cancer. He would have been so much better off if Jimmy had just stayed on the peanut farm. Actually, we all would have been better off.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    remember "Billy Beer?"

After my grandfather passed away, we were going through cabinets at my grandparents' house to downsize things for my grandmother and in the back of a kitchen cabinet I found a pristine, unopened can of Billy Beer. I kept it on a shelf as a curiosity for quite a while, but I don't know what happened to it. I suspect my mother threw it away at some point LOL. Pity.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    After my grandfather passed away, we were going through cabinets at my grandparents' house to downsize things for my grandmother and in the back of a kitchen cabinet I found a pristine, unopened can of Billy Beer. I kept it on a shelf as a curiosity for quite a while, but I don't know what happened to it. I suspect my mother threw it away at some point LOL. Pity.
    A friend visited Gilley's the day they delivered a truck load of Billy Beer. People were lined up and buying 6 packs and DUMPING out the beer in the parking lot, just to collect the cans. He decided it was insane and left without buying.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    A friend visited Gilley's the day they delivered a truck load of Billy Beer. People were lined up and buying 6 packs and DUMPING out the beer in the parking lot, just to collect the cans. He decided it was insane and left without buying.

That explains why I've never seen anyone selling a full can on ebay.

Rafe

Foxtrot Kilo Hotel
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    General Htown Area

Just saw that on the news. What a legend. No one who saw him play will ever forget his signature "sword sheathing" celebration after a great shot. Writing for the PGA, Chris Cox noted:

"Outside of golf, Rodriguez was known for his tireless philanthropy. Rodriguez came from humble roots in Puerto Rico to collect 30 career victories between the PGA TOUR and PGA TOUR Champions. He took as much pride in his Chi Chi Rodriguez Youth Foundation in Clearwater, Florida, that helped at-risk youth achieve academic, social and economic success.

"'A man never stands taller than when he stoops to help a child,' he said in his World Golf Hall of Fame biography when he was enshrined in 1992."

Juan-Chi-Chi-Gonzalez-2.jpg

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond

My dad had an unopened can in his wet bar for years and years. He got rid of it when they renovated that room.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Most presidents since WWII couldn't pronounce it. Kennedy, Ford, Carter, HW, Slick Willie and W all said "Nuke-ya-ler", as did Eisenhower. Reagan's the only one I'm sure pronounced it right.

What’s funny was that back in college during the W years I remember him getting absolutely roasted over it without anyone mentioning how many presidents pronounced it that way.

Bigguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2024
    Texarkana
    What’s funny was that back in college during the W years I remember him getting absolutely roasted over it without anyone mentioning how many presidents pronounced it that way.
    Yeah, back in those days I was still in college, an educated intellectual (Didn't even have My BS at the time.) and a big Carter fan. Even then, I cringed at Nuk-e-er, and hated it when those knuckle draggers promoting evil crap like "free enterprise" made fun of him for it.
    If I had a time machine, I'd go back and slap the silly $#!t out of myself from that time.

Top Bottom