2013 HB 1862 - Legalizing Switchblade Knives.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    Sorry for the potentially ignorant question guys but I'm sort of a fixed-blade man myself... what's the big performance difference between a mechanical switchblade and the current crop of folding knives with the speedsafe "flippers" (the protruding flange that you pull back on to flip the blade from the handle). They seem just as fast to deploy as a switchblade with less components to fail on you.

Am I missing something?

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Sorry for the potentially ignorant question guys but I'm sort of a fixed-blade man myself... what's the big performance difference between a mechanical switchblade and the current crop of folding knives with the speedsafe "flippers" (the protruding flange that you pull back on to flip the blade from the handle). They seem just as fast to deploy as a switchblade with less components to fail on you.

Am I missing something?
    You're missing the fact that out the front knives are freak'n sweet ;)

You're right on folders, tho... Assisted openers are just as fast as auto knives.

tussery

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Corpus Christi

Am I missing something?
    To me a good folder period is as quick to deploy as even an assisted or automatic knife. I stopped carrying my assisted knives along time ago. Most of my carry knifes now are flippers anyways.

.... theyve mailed to me before..

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

You shouldn't worry you weren't the one who broke the law.

Last edited:

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    OK, so I felt the need to buy a quality button knife to celebrate the recent change in the law. To this point I don't own ANY knifes over $100. Not really into knives that much, but I have always liked the old school Italian stiletto switchblades since I was a little kid.

I had one for many years and the trouble with those is that they are pretty much useless and made like shit, even the nice ones, will just come apart really easy if you ever try to use them for anything. Also the blades are so thin (edge to spine) there's no way to put a useful edge on them, assuming you bought one with good steel (ATS-34 etc) in the first place. They are good for stabbing (I guess, probably not really) and opening letters and that's about it.

I really like the Protech Godfather, as it's got the stiletto style blade with simple rugged design. But those are not available right now. Protech recently came out with a new design called the Don. This is about as close to a high quality, solid, durable classic stiletto as you will probably ever find. I still like the godfather better, but I went ahead and sprung for one of these, and thought I would post my thoughts on it for those who are shopping around right now.

First it's a good size, the blade is plenty long, but still short and light enough that the action is real fast and strong. (unlike the boker magnum I have, which has a big heavy blade that's slow and makes you wonder how long the spring will last) Also the blade's shape helps, with most of the weight toward the hilt, and almost none at the tip.

It's also very light weight since the frame is made from aluminum. No pocket clip, (which I usually take off anyway). As I said, the action is really fast and strong. Very nice, just what you want from an auto. Nothing wiggly or wobbly about it at all. Locks into place rock solid with the same button that fires it just like the boker magnum or any number of others out there. The button is flush with the rest of the frame, and has a shallow recess, it requires very little movement to release the blade, and is easy to press, but not too easy. It's perfectly "tuned", and you can tell some thought and time went into getting that just right. Very nice.

The blade appears to have a double edge, but it doesn't. One side is tapered but there is no edge, it's square and dull. The edge side has a wedge shape, and is not hollow ground, and it's not wide enough to get a really good cutting edge on, unfortunately. It's good enough for opening packages and letters, (maybe para cord or plastic zip ties and the like, but not much else. (90% of what I use a knife for) This is not a work knife. It's a solid, well made, stiletto style collector knife. But I have $15 folders that are far better cutters, due to the shape of the blade. Also the tip of the blade is very thin, pointy, and sharp. I think it will break off in short order if you try to use it for anything halfway serious that involves any kind of twisting or prying. In fact I would be afraid bone would break the tip off it if you were to stab something real bony.

This particular one was the best looking style that was available right now at this price level. The DLC coating on the blade looks real nice but will probably scratch if you tried to use it often to break down boxes or something like that with it. A stainless blade and stainless frame would have been better, (with a little more heft, which I would like) but those options also cost anywhere from $75 more to $200-300$ more... no thanks.

So basically if you want a switchblade to celebrate the new law, and always wished that the old school Italian stilettos were built a lot tougher and nicer, this fits the bill. A $50 boker magnum is just as solid and a far more capable knife you can actually use and not worry about damaging. This is a fancy letter opener. Fit and finish are very nice and solid. But it's not a work knife by any stretch, mainly do to the shape of the blade/edge/tip. It's cheaper than the Benchmade Infidel, which is basically another more expensive fancy letter opener, but that one is still illegal to carry, and probably not even as good of a cutter as this knife (though it's 10x cooler with the double action...)

If I had it to do over again, I would probably pass on this, and maybe have waited for the godfathers to come back in stock. There's no way I would pay much more than this for any knife. (in fact I'm crazy for buying this) But, it's the nicest and most well made stiletto out there, and I like it enough to keep it.

Sorry for the long post, hopefully it may be of some use to someone without having to fork over the cheese to find out first hand.

Cheers to the repeal of stupid laws.

protech-don-1707-maple-burl-black.jpg

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth

Am I missing something?

I am too. Fixed blades are the way to go if you want something rugged, and as for fast - they're always deployed. No need to open them at all.

Still, I have folders and will probably get a switchblade just because they're fun. I'm intrigued by the OTF.

I used to buy cheap ones in the markets in Mexico and bring them back as a kid. After a couple weeks playing with them they'd break. It will be nice to have the real deal.

Water boarding is just baptizing terrorists with freedom.

tussery

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Corpus Christi
    I decided to look at a Benchmade Auto Stryker at my LGS yeah it's cool to just be able to press a button but man was it slow. I'll stick to my XM-18 Flipper.

moki

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 11, 2012
    DFW
    Knifrcenter.com has the best prices ive seen

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

+1
    I've been using them for at least 8 years. I got my Microtech Makora from them back in '06. Great price and the knife has been freaking awesome. Was always able to get away with carrying it while I was in uniform...

ATX_Shawn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Austin
    Hey guys.. quick question. I did a search and couldn't find anything, does this include butterfly's/balisongs?

greenbeanie67

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Cedar Park, Tx
    I'm waiting until September 1st then I plan on "finding" my Robbie Dalton Asp OTF and take it for a visit around town.
    Hope nothing goes wrong between now and then. Thanks Gov. Perry!

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I'm waiting until September 1st then I plan on "finding" my Robbie Dalton Asp OTF and take it for a visit around town.
    Hope nothing goes wrong between now and then. Thanks Gov. Perry!

And that will be illegal then as it is now. Daggers and dirks are not exempted. That knife you speak of has two edges, so it will still be illegal.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    ]

pretty impressive
    [video]http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=ohkxI288OgE&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dohk xI288OgE[/video]

Yeah, but I was just waiting to see his hands slip from the side and across the blade. I was sure it was going to happen (but glad it didn't).

greenbeanie67

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Cedar Park, Tx
    And that will be illegal then as it is now. Daggers and dirks are not exempted. That knife you speak of has two edges, so it will still be illegal.
    Well, that sure puts a damper on my Good Times. The 2d edge is not very long, but after looking at it , it does have two edges.
    Guess I' ll just stay with the Strider SMF like I have for several years now. Bummer.

Top Bottom